Weaning off Xarelto to aspirin?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I've been on Xarelto going on for about 1 and 1/2 year, since May of  2014. I was placed on it for having a second case of PE's in the lung. I've had two cases of PE in total due to taking birth control. After running other blood tests, I don't seem to have any serious blood cloting condition other then my blood cloting from the birth control. Soon after having my second case of Blood clots and being placed on Xarelto I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroid.

Anyways, I wanted to ask is it possible to wean off of Xarelto and being placed on an aspirin instead?

I was told I had to be on blood thinners the rest of my life. I don't think I want to risk being on Xarelto the rest of my life, especially since there have been cases of interal bleeding, no way of rapid reversal (like warfarin) and also the fact there's not a lot of studies on the effects of taking Xarelto long term. I've been on Warfarin for my first case of PE's but it gave me alot of UTI's so I don't think I want to go with that either.

I live a very healthy lifestyle now with my diet. I'm on a gluten free, dairy free, soy free diet, and have no problem getting in a lot of foods and vitamins that help to thin out the blood. 

Would a lifestyle of a daily aspirin and some Vitamin A and E pills be good enough at thinning out the blood in exchange for Xarelto the rest of my life?

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am so happy to find this topic of discussion.  I have been taking Xarelto for about 3 years due to a blood clot after I was diagnosed with breast cancer w/ bone Mets.

I initially was prescribed Lovenox and injected myself twice a day.  It became too much for me to give myself the shots and they caused painful bruises on my stomach.  I was seeing a Chinese medicine practitioner for 6-8 months and stopped the injections and took a powder they prescribed and mixed up to thin out the blood.  Its been a while now but if I remember correctly I stopped seeing them due to the cost and the powder made me constipated.  I did not have any issues though with blood clots during that time.   Maybe that could be something for you all to look into.  It’s all about what you feel comfortable with.  It does feel risky but I also think the medical community needs to be more integrative in their research & thinking.

My doctor finally prescribed a pill (Xarelto) instead of lovenox. I was happy I could take a pill instead.  Now a few years later I am having issues with my throat and Acid reflux or Gerd.  I had no idea until recently that my issues could be due to the Xarelto.  I have wanted to go back to a natural herb as I can’t take the side effects any longer.  Western Doctors are not likely  to approve of that though.  I take oil of Oregano daily and haven’t had to take an antibiotic in over a years... it’s a powerful herb! I just read that it also thins out the blood and I am considering taking it  along with turmeric, my omega 3’s and green veggies.  I so don’t want to have more health issues due to Xarelto.  I am in good health mostly for 48 years old and you would never look at me and think I have cancer.   

Reading the comments are helpful though so thank you all!  I can at least discuss some of the pharmaceutical options you all have mentioned with more confidence with my doctor.  I am going to ask about apixaban, thanks!

• Posted

You know most green vegetables have vitamin k in them which helps clot the blood right?
    • Posted

Not so simple perhaps?

Here are two websites that suggest green leafy vegetables actually thin the blood:

"Nitrate-rich leafy greens 'good for the heart'"

"Blood thinners vs. leafy greens: A maddening debate"

A downside of NAOCs (but not warfarin) is a doubling of acute heart attack risk.  Moreover, NOACs have no impact on heart failure which is a much greater risk than stroke for most AF sufferers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.