Wearing panty liners?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've read that wearing panty liners is the wrong thing to do. However, I use Hydromol every time I go to the loo and, if I didn't wear any protection, my clothes and anything I sat upon would be marked. I have tried to go without, but finished up staining my sofa! What do others think and how do you manage using ointments etc?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have ruined so many clothes and bedsheets.

I did buy two pairs of sweatpants to wear around the house but this is not practical because you need your cream all day long.

Any oil example coconut or Emu has ruined my clothes and sheets for sure.

When I apply the club I put on panties but the are all also stained.

I try to not wear any panties.

Also looking for suggestions.

• Posted

OK...so I had the same trouble. This is what I do...sounds silly, but works for me. I make little cotton pads at home. I'm a quilter, so I used left over cotton fabric with cotton batting. I make a square about 6" square. When I started, I'd use 2 squares 6 1/2" square with 1 square of all cotton batting. Then add a snap at 2 of the opposite corners. one corner points forward, one back, and the 2 with the snaps tuck under my panty and snap. This was ok...but velcro worked better than snaps...and then I discovered, after making a baby quilt, that 100% cotton flannel eliminates the need for the batting (and it is cheaper than quilting cotton). I just cut two 6 1/2" or 7" squares, put them right sides together, sew around the outside, leaving about 2 inches to turn it right side out. Then close up the hole, add a bit of stitching to keep it flat, add the velcro and go. Hint: when I add the velcro, cut off the stiff edges first. I started using only about 1/2 inch piece, but actually, about 1 - 1 1/4 inch makes it lay flatter and no chance of the velcro poking your legs. I have about 10-12 of these things and just wash them in the regular laundry. Completely solved my problem.

• Posted

What a fantastic idea, SnappyCat, thank you so much.I've just had a look online for cotton flannel and see you can buy it by the metre. I'm not a sewer - a knitter and crocheter - but I'm willing to give it a go. Can you recommend a site to buy it from, please? I think you'll have to send a private message if you're able to tell me this. After you've sewn the pieces together and turned it back to the right side, where do you then put the stitching to keep it flat?

Quite excited about this - I love a new project and this sounds as though it will definitely solve my problem. Thanks again.

• Posted

Cheetah and Frankie,

I buy my fabric locally...but any fabric website. Just be sure that you're buying 100% cotton flannel and that it doesn't have any metallic or plastic design. To be honest, the safest bet is cotton flannel for babies...

When I said stitch to keep it flat, I just stitch right across the middle with an X or anything...just so the two sides don't go wonky...like quilting, in effect.

As for the velcro, you can probably get that on the same website...might be called "hook and loop tape". I'd recommend NOT buying the self adhesive...if it comes off and gets stuck to the skin...nope.

I've played around with bigger, smaller, but the 6-7" size is about right.

If you have a sewing machine, you can whip them out in no time....

you know...you could maybe knit something similar...???

• Posted

Thank you SnappyCat, that's really helpful. I'm definitely going to have a go at these.

• Posted

great idea cheetah and I will have a go. i am guessing you put the pad over the gusset and fold over the edges and fasten on the other side. do they stay in place? Guess you could make them longer if you wanted?

• Posted

Maybe I'm wrong, but I was thinking it was a pad of two thicknesses with back to back velcro so it would stick to the crotch of pants, much like commercial pant liners do. Does this make sense?

• Posted

Cheetah...now you're getting into all my various iterations. First I tried just making a pad...3 layers...2 cotton and 1 batting. They didn't stay in place too well. So...how to attach them? I thought of velcro on the back..but then you'd have to put velcro on all your panties...

Then someone posted about reusable menstrual pads. I went and looked at those. They are square and fold around the crotch of the panty...so that's how I started doing them...much better.

• Posted

Thanks SnappyCat. I had been thinking of velcro on the back, but the way you've described it, I can see how it would work much better. Much appreciated.

• Posted

hi Snappycat and Cheetah,

looked on You Tube for any info on home made sanitary pads and found this - 42 easy eco hacks that could save our planet .

Its the very first hack ..

Cant say I like her choice of fabric but I'm sure the process can be adapted to your own requirements.. I think it's ace and thanks Snappycat for the great idea!

• Posted

Cheetah, if I'm going to be out and about and have gooped up I do use a panty liner and have had no ill effects from it. Depends upon what issues you have, I think. I don't have any sores or splitting that would be irritated by the pad. I do think it's best to let the skin breathe as much as possible, but life circumstances sometimes control how much we can do that. Re furniture you can simply use a towel or if you want something less obvious there are quilted pads for car seats or chairs you can use that are washable. I used to work for a woman with incontinence issues due to a stroke and had a pad for my car seat. I find it works great in the house.

• Posted

Thank you Beverley. I know I've read that pant liners shouldn't be used, so it made me wonder if I was making things worse by using them - although I haven't had any splits or soreness that I could blame on them, to be honest.

• Posted

Cheetah - I wear panty liners everyday. The only time I don't wear them is when I go to bed (unless I'm on my period.) I don't have any problems with them.

• Posted

Thank you, Debz, that's really helpful to know. I do buy the 'breathable' ones and I don't wear them at night either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.