Week 3 and sudden spike in anxiety

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm now a little bit past week 3 and I've had a sudden spike in anxiety. Mostly centered around my fear of derealization, and what if I have a metal illness worse than anxiety/ocd such as schizophrenia or psychosis. Last night I had a sudden bad panic attack, feeling somewhat better today but still uneasy. I'm at 40mg ...is this normal 3 weeks in? I know that fluoxetine takes a long time to work...

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Today has been weird on an off, I feel better in the mornings now then I do at night. It seems almost like my medication is wearing off by the time my next does comes around and then a few hours after I take my dose my anxiety seems to even out. We've had some pretty awful weather here and systems going through with horrible humidity so that might be contributing to my mood (im hoping). I'm just hoping to get through this week with this level of anxiety and then have it level out. My main worry has still be reality. Something I've always been nervous and contemplated since I was small. Like what is reality and am I real? how can we really see these things? It's very tiring. My dad says he gets the same worries...I wonder if its a things anxious people just worry about. 

I find that going out or talking to people really helps and I think that I have to start forcing myself to leave the house everyday. I work from home so I don't have to leave unless I have a meeting. Though I think I am a social person that needs social situations because I find myself upset when I coupe myself up. I think not being social is bad for my metal health. I spent much of my last 4 years being surrounded by people, always busy and now I think after graduation I find myself out of sorts...

I hope my anxiety starts to get better soon...

• Posted

Hang in there Claire, i started noticing improvement at about 4 weeks so hopefully it won't be too much longer for you smile

I get the same thoughts about reality and have since i was little.. it definitely gets magnified during times of high anxiety. Ive been getting the weirdest thoughts lately due to my fear of psychosis and ive had a bit of anxiety back due to increasing my meds. The thoughts are much more manageable though.

• Posted

You have OCD as well right? I think anxiety is really hard paired with OCD because it just feels so impossible to tell yourself that things are going to be alright. Im hoping that soon these feelings of anxiety will pass soon. I get to see my Psycholigist next week so I'm hoping that by then I'll start to feel better. I'm hoping that I won't have to go up anymore in my meds since this has been such a trip. I'm already at 40mg, so I'm hoping that's where I stay. 

• Posted

Yep and i agree about the OCD. It's torture. Just make sure you give the 40mg a decent go before increasing. It can take up to 3 months to really tell how its working. I think people increase doseage too quickly and it makes their anxiety worse.

• Posted

OCD is really just so annoying because you know that most of it really doesn't help you. Yeah I'd rather stay on 40mgs then to go up to fast, my psycholigist wants to me to even out on my dose before fiddling with it so I'm hoping when I go to to see him next week he'll say to stay on 40mg for at least another month before considering going up and more. I'd rather stay on the lowest dose that works for me then to be overly medicated.

• Posted

I hope you feel better soon. You know weather really can have a huge impact on how we feel, a few weeks back I had a migraine out of nowhere one day and a few hours later we had a huge thunderstorm. Maybe coincidence but I don't know, it definitely affects how we feel physically so why not mentally as well. I know exactly what you mean about having to get out of the house, I am a stay at home mom and only really have to leave for my physical therapy which I didn't go to this past week. It's hard but sometimes I just say to myself, you HAVE to do a certain thing and in an odd way that makes it easier. Hope you turn around soon, if you need to chat we are all here for you xo

• Posted

I hope so too, yeah we had a pressure system move through last night with tons of rain and humidity. Also I'm going to be having that time of the month this week so that probably doesn't help...Today has been a little bit better, still some nervousness and anxiety over derealiztion. Hoping it means that I'm slowly getting better, since today seemed a little more managable. It's difficult not being able to get out of the house or really having to leave in my case. So I have been telling myself I have to get out at least two hours a day. I think it helps a little bit. I luckily have a lot of close friends and family in the area that have been great with helping me. And these boards are great, having all of these people around to discuss and connect with. It really helps me to know that I'm not alone in my aliments.

• Posted

It's so great you have a strong support system! Just take things one day at a time. I try to remind myself that every day is a day closer to feeling well again. Getting the help we need has been a huge step for all of us really. And it is wonderful having someone to connect with on here as you say, I think we all need reminders once in a while that we're not alone on the journey smile

• Posted

Today has been a bit on and off, once again after I take my medication I feel more like myself. My usual fear of derealization and psychosis of some sort. I'll be seeing my psychiatrist next week so hopefully that will put my mind at ease somewhat. Hoping that the meds will even out soon since I'll be entering week 4 soon

• Posted

Today has been really difficult. A lot of anxiety and lethargy, I've had some derealization and it's really freaked me out. Just over all questioning of why are we here and why am I here? I'm very tired after being nervous all day. I hope tomorrow will be better I'm so tired of feeling like this. I just want to be normal.

• Posted

Hi Claire,

Ive had some side effects return due to increasing my dose 1 week ago. I have derealization today too sad and annoying thoughts. It will pass though.. im sure ?

• Posted

Hoping that these side effects leave soon, tired of the constant back and forth with feeling like my old self for a few weeks and then going back to my anxiety. So far I've gone through multiple ups and downs, twice when I was trying to up my old medicne and now with the transition to prozac. So I keep getting my hopes up and then having anxiety all over again. I'm hoping that this is the last time I have to feel like this for a long time. I hope that you are feeling better. What dosage are you at now?

• Posted

They should ease up soon. Week 4 was when i started getting some relief and week 5 i could tell it was definitely working. Im only at 15mg at the moment. Are you on 40mg?
    • Posted

I hope so, all this worry is exhausting. Yea I'm currently at 40mg, I started right at that from 50mg of sertaline. Is your desired dose 20mg?

• Posted

Yup my goal is to get to 20mg and stay there for a couple of months and then decide if i need to increase!
    • Posted

I wish you luck! Tell me how it goes, I hope to one day maybe be able to go down 20mg from 40 since I really hate being on medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.