Week 4

Posted , 6 users are following.

So i am finally @ week 4, it has felt like a long time coming. At this present moment i feel good, up beat and optmistic. Last week i feel was maybe my worst week, i cut out 3 8mg tabs and at the beginning i did miss them but towards the end i found that i could go even longer than my usual 2 hour gap and even reached 3 1/2 hours gap but then i let myself down a took the one i missed and the one i was due together sad .I suffered from severe restless legs some nights and then other nights were fine, i find that hard to understand as i dont get why it only occurs some evenings not all? I still managed to take the same amount over all throughout the day. 

This week i have cut out just one 8mg tab, i use to take 2 tabs in the morning, now just one and honestly i am not noticing the difference. I feel positive that i can beat this addiction. On a very good side i have not had to endure the stares from many pharmacists this week as only need 2 pks 32 to get me through the whole week. It was so nice to only have to visit 2 pharmacies and not have my whole weekend taken up by travelling to  different pharmacies and to endure the awful stares and questioning looks they give you. And i am slightly better off than when i first started this journey.

Next week i plan to start spacing the gap in between doses starting with 3 hours next week, week after i plan to  make the gap every 4 hours and so on week by week. I assume maybe the hard part will be once i have the gap at 8 hours i will then need to go down to 1/2 tab morning and night and then week after totally cut it all out. Even typing that feels so scary. I have used this drug for so long, it use to make me feel good and boost my confidence but slowly that stopped and it made me moody and depressed and i hate what i have become. I read in another post that you never truly return to your self as you was before codeine. I hope that is not the case, i understand i will never fully return but as close to the former me as possible would be great.

I am tempted to just cut them all out and go cold turkey but i have done cold turkey twice before and always end up back on them for some unknow reason, they seem to call to me.

As hard as it is i feel very positive and all you guys on here have been so helpful and i have gained so much information and knowledge on this addiction and how to beat it. 

We can all do this.

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi teresa, I think you're doing great! Always remember that no two days are the same but never lose sight of the mission. Overall, despite the foibles, it seems that you are moving in a positive direction and you will beat it.

Take it at yourpace. any slip ups, write them down so that if there is a temptation, refer to these writings - they will help.

At it's worse, it does incredible harm to your body (more than you know) and I also I know what it feels like and not care either; it knows no boundaries.

Keep on keeping on, you're nearly there.

Rich

• Posted

Thanks Rich you kind words really help and reading some of the other posts you have replied to on here your info has always been very helpful and encouraging. 

I plan to beat this and come out the other side.

• Posted

Well teresa366759...........You deserve gtret credlt brcause by now you are well over the worst of the wthdrawls, if they do behin to return, regard them as the last sting of a dying wasp....you have beaten the wrorst and what come's from timi to time is simply that part of your brain that says these tablets will give you that same warm feeling..at night or they'll help you get through a difficult day..YTher won't they'll simply once again resue their attempt to destroy you. You can now see the light of a new life, head straight for it and dob't be diverted by the resudue of =codeine which remans in yiur brain receptors waiting to rise again and grab hold of your life once more.  Yje temtaiaiopn will last for years, butt is why iIt's so important ti stay busy.in your life as this is one of the very best ways og keeking the craving at bay.,,,,,,,,,,Regards TIM

• Posted

Well done Teresa. That is super news. I am so pleased for you. You are doing so well. Keep us posted xxx Drew
  • Posted

Hi Tim and Drew . Thanks so much i feel much better in myself but last night i really suffered from restless legs it was alwful its such a strange and uncomfortable feeling. Do you or does anyone reading this know of a cure or a least how to ease it?
    • Posted

Hi Teresa,

The restless leg thing is horrible. I had it badly for the first week or so of cold turkey. I found a hot water bottle really helped me, I spent many a night awake, lying on the sofa with a hot water bottle under my legs.

Exercise too, I make sure I get out with the dog and have at least an hour and a half of proper paced walking.

Lying in bed seemed to make it worse because I was thinking about it and trying not to wake my husband. But being in more of a curled up or sitting position seemed to help.

Maybe a natural stress or calming influence would help? Lavender or eucalyptus? Never thought I'd hear myself say that having taken so many manufactured pills, but hey, a person can change!

Keep powering through. You are nearly there. Xx

• Posted

Oh wow. I had that the last time. It's so awful. It really keeps you awake. Katy's ideas sound good. Someone (I think Nikki) mentioned hot baths. Keep going xx Drew

• Posted

Well, I've definitely taken a strange turn over the last couple of days. I thought I was ready to kick it completely but then yesterday and the day before I litetally had a cold that felt like flu. (It wasn't flu but many similar symptoms) I thiough that I had a cold which was being compounded by withdrawal but as it turned out my partner, friend, brother andf son all had the same thing! The aches and pains were awfula dn I had to work so I had no choice but to buy a pack. But guess what? I bought a small pack (never before done) and I only took two lots of two the day before yesterday and two lots of two today, about six hours apart. The rest of the time I used paracetamol as I had a bit of temp (don't usually touch that stuff). I felt more empowered than just giving up, as now I still have eight in my bag from a small pack I bought two days ago. That is mad. It felt like for the first time in a long time I was using the medication for what it is actually intended for. It might not work for everyone but I do feel really strong and definitely heading down the right track. Rich, it sounds like you and I have a lot in common. Have you kicked alcahol altogether now or just use it in moderation? I have found cutting down is reallly helping me to reduce my codeine intake. You have given out a lot of good advice but make sure you keep asking us for help too - we are in the really hard phase! Well done to the rest of you too - we wouldn't be in this forum if we didn't all have the same goal in mind but we will all find different ways to reach it I'm sure smile 

• Posted

Hi Jencs, and thank you for your concern and honesty. The fact you still have 8 left shows your strength and determination - what a sod that your nemisis used properly, helped you! What are you going to do with the other 8? I guess if you still have your flu, then that answers itself, but therein lies the test! As far as me and alcohol go, I discovered it after a torrid hell like experience at boarding school, and at the time lived in Africa; it gave my confidence, but through my life got me into a lot of trouble. In fact, when I decided to quit, a former girlfriend who had introduced me to N+, gave me the idea to used N+ as an alternative to alcohol. Alcohol wrecked a lot of my life and hospitalised me 3 times for a week eah time and numerous one nighters, but enough was enough so alcohol went without remorse so I can be around drinkers, go to the pub, it just doesn't bother me anymore. But my N+ stared at 8 per day, and went up to 64, awith 32 being the norm. You could help me by researching subutex. (I have but everything helps). To me, I know that strange as it may seem, I was addicted to both, so even though I've not had any N+ for 6 days now, to me that is a lot of time, because I'm not strong, I'd use up all my medical help and kid myself I could get through one day without N+ so in a way, I need to no longer be an addict of N+ first, then deal with the subutex.

It is complicated I agree - but compared to three years ago, then, I was in a real mess; and now, I'm working. I tackled depression by doing things, or forcing myself to do things so my thoughts didn't keep going round in circles. My biggest hole was losing the family, followed by losing the whole music and festival scene - but I've rebuilt the music and I'm sure love will follow (hopefully), but the main love and support I get is from my (grown up ) children. 

I realise the above sounds heavy, but I'm in a hell of a better space now, and using my experiences to help others, when I can helps me too, and I thank you for your realness. I used to feel alone - even around people, but not anymore, and I know I'm getting a lot better or I wouldn't be writing anything!

All the best, Rich xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.