WEEK 4 OF THE DREADED STATINS my diary

Posted , 10 users are following.

FEELING alot better NO bad dreams NO aches in neck  and shoulders NO arm ache in rights side elbow and NO hip pain which is the side effects i was having with these statins  this has  stopped, only a little chest pain in evening but that might be stresscheesygrin... told MY cardilogist at hospital but NO response from them....BUT still getting pins and needles in hands and feet and a painfull left foot.

WENT to  Doctors regarding painfull left foot and tingling feelings still in hands and feet and  also told l him i had been AE for 3hours a couple of days before hand and just given iburfren gel put that on 3 times a day and foot exercises with NO effect, Pain still there told him my drugs i was on and he went  NUTS  you WILL die if you do not take the statins so i said WHY DONT  you take them he barked back he was not the one with a heart problem and new far better than me he didnt even know what drugs i was on   ..But these are the devils drugs and are killers i told him and i have never been a regular vistor  to this practise since starting these drugs basically that was the end of conversation he gave me my prescription  which ended on a blank paper which i never relized and when given to pharmacy was refused due no  drugs given on prescribiton form  had to go back again and see this miserable little doctor to get my proper prescription which  included statin,,,,  NOOoooo    .

Funny thing is I.Should also have had a liver blood test done in in the first 3 weeks which i never had promised rehab classes in the first 4 weeks after 2  stents that has never happened rang them up and was told to bizzy and it might be in March thats 5 months after op surprised...TO ME this is disaster   by medical people who should be looking after your care and interests but maybe this is due to me NOT  wanting to take there dreaded statins  and this is pay back TO ME....twisted 

sorry for spelling but Cannot find glass s .... more next week  

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Graham, I stopped taking my 40mg dose of Lipitor 8 days ago, still have very painful shoulders, hips and weirdly ribs!! I have dizziness in the mornings and brain fog for most of the day. When was it that you saw even the slightest improvement in your side effects?? Cheers, Ken
    • Posted

It different for everyone Ken, some people find side effects stop almost immediately while others it take a while. I would say you should expect to see improvements regarding dizziness and brain fog within 3 weeks, the rest will improve during following months.
    • Posted

Hi ken,  noticed a great improvement in the first week no nightmares no feeling dreadfull when walking felt better as weeks have gone on it will take some time to flush out your system but  the pins and needles in hands and feet still prevail but was told it could be the bisitprol  but going to look into that one when i get my final cadilogistcal review if it ever happens with doctor 
    • Posted

Thanks Sonya,  did you experience withdrawl type symptoms?? I have been itching, feeling very spaced out, dizzy, terrible abdominal pain and very tired makes me think of the scene in Trainspotting when the guy is trying to get off heroin!!😄😄😄
  • Posted

I found that cardio rehab was a waste of time just gentle exercises that were much less than that I was doing outside myself in daily life.The other half hour was a lecture blaming us for the illnesses that had got us there. 
    • Posted

hi derek,NOT had the option as  i have been let down by hospital rehab centre to bizzzy was told i could travel 20 miles to next class s fuel and parking really is not worth the hassle plus i am self employed so i dont get paid ...frown
    • Posted

Most there were younger than me but had never taken any exercise. Most had recently had stents fitted others had suffered strokes. I had a heart valve replaced and a couple had bypass surgery. I was surprised that most there were women.

One of the instructors was an ex patient. 

• Posted

Well done Graham for sticking to your guns - stay off the statins and then you will live -  stay on them and you could die - of the side effects! 

Seriously though I was on simvastatin for as little as 6 months and I suffered terribly ..and indeed I'm still doing so.

I was given them because of a very mild degree of atrial fibrillation - nothing else.   When it dawned on me what was happening to my system I stoped them  and I refuse to go back on them and my GP  gave up arguing wth me - fortunately!

I had no review apts with my cardiologist - FOR TWO YEARS + until last week - when I got so fed up with the lack of folow up care by the NHS - I instigated a private review with the original cardiologist at a local private hopsital..

Guess what - he was horrified by the statin story and agreed wholeheartedy (if you'll forgive the pun!) that I should never attempt to take any again and what is more  - he did all the usual ECG's and echo cardiograms etc and pronounced that my heart was in better nick than most 74 year old females and that I should not be on the Bisopralol - which was doing no good what so ever!

My BP is a bit erratic as a result of "White Coat Syndrome"  (No real surprise - most people do but ex nurses and GPs are the worst...LOL) and he agreed that I return to my beloved Half Inderal LA which suited me and controlled not only my BP but my migraines - of course - for over 25 years.

SO the message is - you know your body best - stick to your guns and DEMAND if needs be to be reviewed - the stress of NOT KNOWING and worrying as anybody knows - is exactly the recipe for disaster.

I wish you all the best graham j - and if you take some Q enzyme 10 - or Ubiquinol - it may well hasten your recovery - in Canada they are legally obliged to prescribe it when they do dish out statins - and in some parts of Canada and the States etc now - they are banned anyway - which tells you plenty!!

CHEERS !

• Posted

NO thankfully - but of course I had not had any heart problems - only atrial fibrillation - ie palpitations - and mild at that...so being put on 10 mg Bisopralol and being threatened with warfarin   - which I refused point blank - and being told I "NEEDED STATINS" - was absolute bunkum - talk about monkey nuts and sledgehammers - grrrr! 

However the damage done by the statins has been horrific as I now am almost reduced to a wheelchair - as they destroyed my motor nerves such that I resemble a Parkinsons case as I "freeze" and can hardly initiate walking.  Once I get going I am not so bad - but it can reduce my mobility to nil at times. Only when I am standing up - as when I am  sitting down I am fine and indeed am allowed to drive - all my neurologists agree about that and I have my blue badge etc.

I have had every test  - neurological and cardiac and there is no evidence of any kind of stroke or MI  and certainy NO Parkinsons Disease.

Apart from advanced degenerative scoliosis of my spine due to my nursing about 50 years ago  - I would have been absolutely fine had it not been for those wretched statins...SO ..Now you can see why I will NEVER take another one!!

As I said to my cardiologist on Monday - if I ever land up in one of your wards with a heart attack or stroke - you have my permission to come and gloat over me!! 

He promised not to do so - and we shook hands and he wished me all the best and again apologised for the damage he had inadvertantly caused - I guess that is as near an apology as I will ever get - but to think they are now going to PAY GP's per script for dishing out these lethal drugs and one moron suggested they be added to our water supply...OMG - what ever next!

Sorry to go on at such a length -  but honestly after the devastating effects on me -  can you wonder at my reaction when I hear  about  other innocent peoples' problems.. 

BIG PHARMA - has a LOT to answer for.

One of best friends who was on statins for a few years has advancing peripheral neuropathy which is irreversable and progressive and the doctors agree it is a a direct result of her statins therapy ..I rest my case!  

• Posted

Happily I have BUPA that covers any investigations done - although not the initial consultations which are about £150 a time....well worth it as I was seen within the week - as verus the last URGENT NHS referral which took over 6 MONTHS!!
    • Posted

Much seems to depend on the area you live in. If it is urgent our GP will use Patient Choice to refer patients to other health providers. I've had two such appointments and then a CT scan and a colonoscopy at a BMI hospital. I had said to my GP that I would pay for the colonoscopy to have it done sooner but he said to save my money as he could get it done just as quickly.

At the moment my wife and I have been referred to different NHS hospitals in Sussex for CT scans and are having them done within a month.

• Posted

INDERAL L.A. IS WHAT I TOOK FOR A FEW YEARS WITH NO SIDE EFFECTS THAT I RECALL...BUT I REMEMBER ONE DAY GETTING A CHECK UP AT THE GP'S HE TOLD ME HE COULD GIVE ME SOMETHING BETTER....THAT WAS THE START OF MY STATINS....AND THE ACHES AND PAINS.....NOW I TAKE NONE OF THEM....
    • Posted

After 25 years on them I was absolutely ace on my  HALF INDERAL LA  aged 70+ and what is more I could walk 3 miles before breakfast every day with my labradors  without fail  and be ready to deal with whatever the day had in store ...now I can hardly get across the room .. all thanks to the statins.....

So not much wonder I am so hopping (HA HA) mad at Big Pharma...

• Posted

Yet another reference to statins and peripheral neuropathy and I'm beginning to think that this is more than coincidental. I have been on various statins but mostly Simvastatin for 10 years and developed peripheral neuropathy two years ago. As you say the condition is irreversable and progressive and I now find walking very difficult.

I suggested to my neurology consultant that there was a link (see Cleveland Clinic website) and she discounted it instantly. With this attitude how can the problems of statin side-effects be accepted by the doctors. It's vital that patients are made aware of the risks when statins, or any drug, are prescribed just as they should be pre-op when the outcome is potentially so devastating.

Finally would urge any patient suffering side-effects from any drug to report using the Yellow Card system.

• Posted

Hello there Marco - sorry to be so long in replying but I was seeing my consultants - orthopaedic and cardiac  and I see my neurologist again this coming week I am going to take him a written resume of a friend of mines cholesterol and statin history... It is a painfully mind blowing diary of what can go wrong when you are on statins in as little as six months.

Like myself he has irreversible and progressive nerve damage  -as well as cognitive deterioration initially from which he happily recovered. 

Luckily I had no cognitive problems as my neurologist and I laughingly agree - I have all my marbles  - I just can't roll them any more!

Duane is I believe on Facebook  - I have never looked myself as I don't do that sort of thing  - but it could be worth you having a look.  He was a member of the NASA medical/scientific team - so he knows what he is talking about.

He was also a GP for over 20 years..... Good luck in finding him...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.