Week 4 sertraline and I've gone back to how I felt before starting !!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am on day 24 of sertraline 50mg for anxiety and depression. Week 1 side effects where terrible but by the end of week 2 I was picking up. Not crying, talking, even the occasional laugh. Then last week I suddenly came crashing down. I feel worse than I did before I started sertraline. I can't stop crying, I'm anxious, I feel completely helpless like I will never be me again and enjoy my son and partner. Please help !!

0 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm so sorry you are going through the this. That is what I'm afraid of. I've been on this for 18 yrs. I'm just tired of taking medications. I really want to try and get off but afraid of relapse.
    • Posted

I am really struggling today ! It's worse than ever how is that possible 4 weeks in ! I don't know what to do
    • Posted

I'm really anxious but must be depressed as well because all I can think is this is never going to stop and I can't handle it & there's no immediate help 😩😢😢
    • Posted

Hang in there. It will get better. I've been there. Just make sure to talk to your doctor until the medication works.

I know it might seems like forever.

• Posted

if it's really bad , make an emergency appointment with ur GP today, ask for something to relax you as the anxiety is the rough the roof. Hopefully GP will give you a small dose of Diazipam. this does really help to get you through tough times like today, but mornings are the worst , I used to be in tears every morning , and not know what to do. tell your self everything is going to be ok, you WILL not feel this way forever , nothing lasts for ever I PROMISE. take a shower and then go for a nice long walk and while you are walking, tell your self this is an illness and I will get better, ask God to help you . I know you will be ok everyone is eventually ok.

xxx

• Posted

I've got an appointment for 9.40 but not hopeful he'll do anything. Surely 4 weeks in I shouldn't be able to feel this low I just don't get it. I've managed to get my son to school but just want to fall apart now xx
    • Posted

Remember yesterday when I said that you DO get worse before you get better?
    • Posted

yes you do get worse before better , you actually may need an increase I think, and really push for somthing extra to help you get through today , don't specifically ask for Diazipam cos he won't give it to you. just say is there anything else I can take to take the edge off the anxiety as it's too much to bare.

xx

let me know how the appointment goes.

• Posted

He's doubled the dose but I still have to feel like this right now, how long will the increase take to have an effect ?
    • Posted

I thought he would do that....nobody knows how long it will take.....we are all individual, but it did sound like you were getting all side effects and no benefits....good luck
    • Posted

did you ask for somthing to relax you a bit?

if not then try drinking camomile tea, go and get an adult colouring book and pencils , and ling walk. you will need to give it at least 3 weeks I would say. come on you can do this you can. we have all been through it and you will be through it too, and one day soon you will be on here helping somone else.

• Posted

I said what about the fact that I'm absolutely desperate right now and he said 'try concentrating on your breathing' !! I've just tried to call a private therapist £30 a session so not sure how good it will be but I can't wait until 25thmay 😢 Please God help me I love my son and partner so much I'm so scared Incase I can't handle this and let them down xx
    • Posted

I know, I know the feeling, but you won't, I really wish I could be with you and give you a hug . listen keep telling yourself in 3 weeks you will be happy again you will and I was just like you perhaps worse to be honest.

I went to a&e saying I wanted to kill my self ! it was awful it really was and I'm always still very haunted by the whole experience. I just have to keep going and try and forget it, but everyday I take my sertraline it reminds me 😢

why don't you private message me and chat

• Posted

Lattifa i just want to say your awesome your words and wisdom and knowing that we are not alone, i wanna say thank you from the bottom of my heart
    • Posted

oh wow, that's so so kind of you, I feel happy that I'm helping.

you see when I got so unwell, and I saw how bad the mental health care is in the UK and realised that so many many people suffered the way I did I could not belive it. therefore I promised I wouldn't want anyone to feel alone and I promised my self I would help others. I found so many caring people on this forum that helped me too, and I would actually like to thank them too , vicky who I'm now friends with on face book, philip who checks in on us , and there was a lady called Tracey and one other lady who was so loving in her messages I'm sorry I forget her name, and also tezza and a few more. thank you all.

and if we all stick together we can't fight it.

It would be nice however once people reach recovery to stay on here and let us know how you are doing and give hope to others who are still at the beginning.

love to you all and massive HUGS XX

don't give up keep fitting, remember pain is temporary, giving up lasts forever.

sorry about the long reply , I just feel so strongly about this. xx

• Posted

Thank you so much i will continue to keep you posted, its a strugle im trying my best to push through and see what the days or week brings, if anything ill see my psychiatrist as im being told 25mg is a low dose., im so happy you are able to help others as the things we deal with are the same but different circumstances, you give hope and being able to talk to someone helps so much.hugs and love
    • Posted

25mg is a very small dose I think 50mg is the min therapeutic level, we're you feeling a bit better be for you forgot for 3 days?
    • Posted

Yes, its such a bad feeling to have to feel like your going backwards
    • Posted

but your not you've just had a blip, you will be back on track in a couple weeks. xx
    • Posted

I really want that to be the case, my heart is racing as we speak from the anxiety levels being so high right now, not to mention the depression too, im noticing too that my clonzepam isn't working as well as it should it takes me about 5hrs to even go to sleep on that medicine, when i first started the medicine it would take a couple hours the most to fall asleep and I would be able to sleep longer without a problem now im back to square one, i dont know what to make of all this its so scary to feel like you were before you got the medications,. I almost feel like i need to go to the emergency room but all they will do is probably give me an emergency Xanax which only works for so long and bam your back with the symptoms, im sorry to ramble im just in a bad place right now
    • Posted

It's so hard to feel like this, my heart is racing as we speak from the anxiety levels being so high which is causing me now early wakings as appose to where i was able to sleep longer and have control, i also noticed that my clonzepam isn't working as well as it should it takes me 5hours to even fall asleep when it only use to take me a couple hours the most this has been ongoing for a couple weeks but i was able to sleep longer and now well its like the affect isn't what it use to be, not to mention the depressive feeling its like it's fluctuating but the mornings are bad i mean it takes me hours to wanna do anything, im not sure if i need a higher dose or med change i mean some of the side effects were unpleasant but i pushed through, i have a lil one to look after i have to feel better, sorry for rambling im just so confused and at a loss with all this
    • Posted

You are not alone. Although you feel alone, I feel alone whoever I'm with because you're trapped in your own head. I have a little boy and for the first time ever I couldn't face getting him ready & off to school today I was in pieces. This illness really is crippling but I guess we have to keep fighting
    • Posted

Thank you so much for writing me jessica, it means alot when you feel alone and stuck and then there is a special person like you jessica who even though is battling this still takes time to help and support others, I know exactly what you mean by the feeling of pieces i too deal with the same my child is 2 and is so demanding i feel so bad like a terrible mom for not being at par, yes we can and will together support and talking is key., oh my psychiatrist called me and upped my clonzepam to 1mg at night and the other as needed i woke up at 6am with a racing heart,. We have to pull through this hugs you can pm me anytime you'd like I'll respond much hugs
    • Posted

Im not sure if i mentioned that im on .25mg sertaline for depression and now 1mg of clonazepam once at night and the second as needed if i feel anxiety coming on,. My first couple weeks of sertaline were a bit hard but as those couple weeks passed things looked up, then i forgot to take my meds for 3days and now my depressive symptoms and anxiety are back once again ill never let that happen again
    • Posted

I was on 50mg of sertraline for 4 weeks & then upped to 100 on Tuesday and the morning anxiety is terrible. The minute I wake it's there and I know the day will be another battle ! My son is 5 and is used to so much love and attention but now when he wakes in the morning and calls 'mommy' I panic that I have to look after us both. Someone from this forum is helping me through too, together we all have to fight. Xx
    • Posted

Yes jessica i hear you on that, you wake and anxiety is through the roof and then our kids call for mom first thing and you feel tense, I've been expericing the same as her dad leaves early morning for work and that just adds to everything, im curious do your thoughts race during the anxiety?
    • Posted

Same !! My partner leaves early for work but today I begged him to get our son up & take him to school & I feel terrible for it we can't afford for him to loose his job. Yes my thoughts run and constantly negative ! 'I can't do this' is all I hear when I wake up. I constantly think it will be this way forever and I can't come to terms with that but I saw a counciller today who said if it happens again you will learn to catch it before it spirals. Hard to believe when your mind is so negative. We really have to hope that things will get easier, I want my life with my little family back and there's only me can get it back
    • Posted

25mg is too low a dose to feel the benefits, 50mg is the therapeutic level, and yiu have to wait 4 weeks to see if it worked , if no improvement then a higher dose is needed and another four weeks. it is so hard I know, I hope when yiu all et well you keep coming on here and advising others. it's so helpful for everyone.

keep busy that's my best advice , write down everyday how your feeling , and aventualy you will see the improvemen

• Posted

My thoughts are the same and it just keeps racing its like when will it stop ugh its the hardest thing outside of giving birth to our bundles of joy, its so hard to be positive when your mind is at a state of being stuck i wanna say cause the relief doesnt come soon enough or your fine and have a bip it's like waves you know it comes crashing down, but we can do this for ourselves and loved one that will be your biggest fans and supporters,. Heres to us leading a joyous and healthy life hugs
    • Posted

If i see within the next week or 2 of no change im gonna let my psychiatrist know as we were gonna up the medication at my last visit but i wanted to though it out and see how it went, hopefully it was just the missed days and maybe i wont need to med higher
    • Posted

hi there, I'm not too sure if you're still on this forum as this was a while ago but I'm 4 weeks on sertraline (at 100mg right now for coming up on 2 weeks) and I'm not doing well. I can't stop crying and feel nauseous all the time and have been off work for over a month now. I'm working with my healthcare team and staying at my parents so I'm monitored and have food brought to me but they don't really know what to do anymore. I feel like it should be getting better but it's not. This is my second time on the medication (i got off like 6 months ago, after taking it for 2 years at 200mg) and the first time round, I didn't have any side effects so my doc figured I wouldn't this time either so it is baffling to try to understand what's going on. I just want to feel better with some relief. Any help would really help me through. 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.