Week 4 sertraline and I've gone back to how I felt before starting !!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am on day 24 of sertraline 50mg for anxiety and depression. Week 1 side effects where terrible but by the end of week 2 I was picking up. Not crying, talking, even the occasional laugh. Then last week I suddenly came crashing down. I feel worse than I did before I started sertraline. I can't stop crying, I'm anxious, I feel completely helpless like I will never be me again and enjoy my son and partner. Please help !!

0 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Jessica, believe me, I've seen and lived it all. I had people telling me to just don't worry, don't do this, don't do that. Ithe took me a while to ignore them.

I had to raise my daughter by myself while I thought I was dying. Nobody will ever understand you unless they've been there. I've been taking medication for 18 + yrs.

Not easy. I've been living a normal life for about 13 yrs with maybe a relapse a year. You will get better. I have an amazing doctor who I put all my trust in. So glad I had him.

Now he wants me to get off them since I've been doing so good.

I'm taking 100mg every 3-4 days and it works. After 4 days, I usually start getting electric shocks in my brain and that is when I know I forgot to take my pill after 4 days.

The doctor said it's the withdrawal and I'm so afraid of relapse. I really don't want to get it.

I'm stuck. I really don't want to stay on these forever.

Has anyone been on them for so long and then got off them?

• Posted

Just some tips. I have depression an GAD. Iv tried 4 antidepressants. Sertraline was my first one. Everyone is different an theres all kinds of antidepressants. Sertraline was not for me. Physical symptoms were to bad to tolerate. Remember to take your med at around same time everyday. Exercise to. I know you don't feel like even getting dressed but we must forc ourselves sometimes. Iv had to REALLY force myself to go walking regularly. Im no t on anything rt now. Its creeping back. The "why even get up" feeling. Im married an 2 teen sons an oldest is graduating in 4 wks! Im having issues with that. Im also caregiver to my 80 yr old parents. Very stressful. Vitamins are important to. Have you had a complete blood work up an also checking Vit. D ? Hormone checkup? Im a yr an half into menopause. Im 47. I had no clue I was in menopause! Except no monthly "time". But thought it was fr meds. So my hormones were all out of whack! Im on Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy now. But in mean time Im still getting blue an health anxiety about everyone an me. Keep taking your 50mg until 6 wks. Then go to your Dr. Therapy helped me in the beginning but stopped after 6 months due to scheduling issues.

• Posted

I'm so ill with anxiety by day I can't stand it and want sectioning or even think I can't live like this, but then I calm down at night. Is this the sertraline ?
    • Posted

In the beginning for me the sertaline seem to have hightend my anxiety but after a week or 2 it stsrted ware off a bit but also my doctor has given me clonazepam to help with side effects and to help sleep, i mean there can be numerous reasons as to why maybe the dose needs to be raised which i think in my case may need to happen as i too am slipping backwards as appose to when i was feeling so much better, but yes i believe its the sertaline sometimes it heightens the anxiety, usually they say give it about 4weeks to notice a change, have you felt better at all while on sertaline?
    • Posted

I picked up for a few days during week 2 but thats it, I'm now worse than ever and on week 5
    • Posted

What dose are you on currently? Are you considering talking to your doctor again about what's happening? I'm really shocked your doctor didn't prescribe something short term to get you through the rough patches instead your being told to just breath do doctors actually listen to us, or do they just want there check at the end of the day and send you on your way, with the advice of just breath we do that everyday, your there for a reason, you did say they upped the dose did you feel better on the lower dosage? Cause im considering going up from 25mg I've been on this dosage for maybe 2months
    • Posted

Not to be nosey but do you live in the states?
    • Posted

No I live in the uk. Spoke to my doctor yesterday and he said he didn't know what to do with me and there is no one who is going to help me without going on a waiting list for a psychiatrist. I said 'will these tablets work' and he said that's what we hope !! I'm devestated, fighting a loosing battle and don't think I'll ever have my life back with my son and partner 😢
    • Posted

On 100mg upped on Tuesday from 50
    • Posted

You have typical depression symptoms......worse in the morning getting better later in the day.  You will notice yourself starting to feel better earlier and earlier in the day
    • Posted

Oh my gosh jessica im really sorry you are going through this, how long of a wait is it? I know its gonna be extremely hard, but the pain is temporary and you family is forever and you will bounce back from this i know you can do this hugs
    • Posted

I agress with you iris on the depression because that's exactly what im going through except i was fine for weeks and then forgot to take my meds and my depression along with my anxiety came back it definitely sucks
    • Posted

Today not as bad, i mean im still feeling a bit depressed and the anxiety is somewhat there, im wondering if either of these two things make your thoughts race?.. Thank you for asking hun, how are you?
  • Posted

If you just increased your dose on Tuesday you are getting the start up side effects
    • Posted

I'm sat here. My 5 year year old has his arms wrapped around me saying 'you're poorly mommy, I'll give you a kiss and a hug' I can't do this anymore I want it to end now I can't take it
    • Posted

Why don't you ring 111 to speak to a doctor? Maybe a chat with someone different will helpl
    • Posted

Rang 111 they gave me lorazepam for 1 week but I'm scared because when this started I took diazepam and it made me really depressed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.