week 7 on fluoxetine - no hope

Posted , 21 users are following.

Really not happy with the progress on the fluoxetine, I'v been on 20mg now for 7 weeks and was hoping to be back to my normal self by now. I am also on 80mg propranolol. Is it too early days to change the dosage or meds really hoping for more improvement.

Thanks

2 likes, 482 replies

482 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I am so glad I am not alone although I hate to thlnk of us all suffering. I was on paroxetine for years and had managed to wean myself down to 10mg a day and was hoping to come off it completely. However after a very traumatic time I could feel myself getting very low so went to my GP to ask for an increase to help me. My GP was appalled I had been on it for so long because apparently it is so addictive. He said that because I had done so well getting down to 10mg that he didn't want to increase the dose and instead prescribed me 20mg of fluoxetine. I had to wean myself of the paroxetine by taking one every other day and then have 2 days clear before starting the fluoxetine.I have now been on the fluoxetine for 2 weeks and just can't believe how bad I feel. My anxiety levels are high and I feel so down all the time. I so want to feel better but an seriously wondering if I should persevere with this medication

• Posted

Hi Ruth

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad. I can certainly relate! I was on lexapro for a couple of years until it stopped working then I had a disastrous run with Effexor 😬 And now here I am on Prozac! I'm in my 7th week now and I do feel ALOT better! I'm still abit up and down and the anxiety is still there but it's definitely not an all day thing like it was. From everything I have read Prozac is the slowest working ssri which sux but I'm still expecting to see a lot more improvement.

I will say the first 5 weeks of taking Prozac I felt awful!! Increased anxiety, low moods, irritable, not sleeping well, detachment from reality, headaches but all those symptoms eventually eased and by my 6th week I started to notice more moments of feeling like myself. I still have a bad day here and there but there are starting to be more and more good times.

So please hang in there! I know how awful you feel! I was sure Prozac was doing nothing except making me worse than I already was but I'm glad I stuck with it! Just try to remember that you haveto go through this darkness to get to the light.. and you will get there!

Xox

• Posted

Hi Ria

Thank you so much for this. I am so glad you are starting to feel better and it does give me some hope. I rally hate feeling so bad but will hang in there xx

• Posted

It totally fine.. I understand! I was really ready to go back to my dr and say.. this medication is not working!! But 7 weeks in and I'm definitely noticing a big change!

Do hang in there.. try to take one day at a time and not worry too much about tomorrow or next week. Just know the improvements will just creep in slowly bit by bit. You should read what Katecogs has said in the forum.. it's so true!

Keep me posted

Xx

• Posted

Oh hi Ria

thanks for asking. I am struggling on. Had to go away for work for 5 days which was hard but I got through it. Then had a couple of reasonable of days not happy exactly but not so bad. Then back to feeling really bad again. Feel so sad as if on the verge of tears all the time and still really poor appetite. I am just trying to hang on on to the fact that I do have occasional not so bad moments. The anxiety has lessened slightly. I just so hate feeling like this. How are you 

• Posted

How long have you been on the meds now? I'm just starting my 9th week today. My mood is definitely a lot better. Still have a bit of the anxiety but it doesn't bother me as much. I've started a new job in that time so that was hard but I'm proud that I did it.

Good for you going away for work because I know when you're feeling the way you do you just wantto be around your comforts.

I was having bad days too then have days feeling ok then bad again etc. I had a terrible day last Wednesday but pretty good days ever since. So I guess that's how it works?!

X

• Posted

That is fantastic that you started a new job. I am lucky to have a job that I love but this depression is making me struggle with everything. I have been on the Meds for about 5 weeks now. I find mornings are still awful but am starting to feel happier in the evenings.
  • Posted

Will my anxiety ever stop?

I have been struggling with negative thoughts and worries, feeling down, tired, anxiety when I have to see/contact my partner.

I don't understand this illness at all.

• Posted

It's so hard isn't it!

I could tell you just to accept the anxiety and let it be there cos that's how to stop the anxiety for good but I know it doesn't help right now. Anxiety is a learned behaviour.

Are you feeling a little less depressed?

I've been feeling ok.

Could be better could be worse.

X

• Posted

I don't know how to accept it and how can I accept something that makes me feel so ill and makes me feel so down,

I go out and just look at other people and think she/he looks happy, they must be my age I bet she's not like me, why can't I be like her/him, I bet they can move out I can't go out without my parents etc etc.

A bit but when I feel the anxiety it makes me feel depressed.

That's how i was before this massive blip I wasnt great and not really bad.

The suns out today in the UK so that helps a tiny bit.

x

• Posted

I know it's so hard to accept.

I wouldn't compare yourself to other people either.. you'd be surprised how many people are suffering! I bet people looking at you think you're perfectly fine smile

Does your partner know how you feel?

X

• Posted

Its horrible.

I try not too and I tell myself tey could feel the same as me but I can't help it.

I tried to tell hm at the the weekend but he doesn't really understand.

x

• Posted

But he must know you're obviously not feeling well?

Maybe you need to go talk to your dr abiut a higher dosage? You don't haveto double it and go to 40.. you could maybe try 30 which is what my dr suggested to me? Although I have done it yet. I'm in week 8.

X

• Posted

Im going to try and ride it out until my review on the 24th April.

He does but I don't think he understands what its like and just says it hard for him too.

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.