Weight and mirtazapine

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has anyone gained a lot of weight while on mirtazapine or tried to diet and could not lose weight?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So far just a couple pounds and I've been on mirtazipine 10 weeks now. But even that causes me to be cautious lately as I notice I can't stop oinking out on sweets.

• Posted

Yes unbelievable! ! I gained 8lb in 4 weeks and have the most awful cravings for sweet stuff. Getting up and eating jam toast at 3am.🙈how long have you been on them? Do you find you have a short temper also??

• Posted

This will be my fourth week on this stuff. I really need to lose weight. I went on a high protein diet at the same time and have lost 1/2 a lb. I have some other crazy side effects. I want off this stuff.
    • Posted

Sashagirl I am under a phyciatrist to try and find a medication that suits.

Upon hearing these side affects of weight gain increased apertite that wakes me early hours forcing me to get up looking for what I can eat, the cravings I just can't fight.

She has told me to taper off them as this was causing further problems.

I am no coming off it and on to another called venlafaxen. I was a 10/12 when I started on met 4 months ago, I am now a 14/16 the weight increase is unreal the way it has piled on in such a short time.😕😕

• Posted

Hi sasha.

Ive gained some weight but i needed too. Unfortunately for me i have no appetite through the day at all and crave junk in the late evening.

• Posted

I'm afraid so, sashagirl. I was on Mirt for 5 years and put on 5 stone. I tried every trick in the book to shed some weight without success. I stopped taking Mirt a month ago and I have already lost a stone. It is a well known side effect. You will have to decide whether th plusses exceed the negatives. Good luck

• Posted

I am having some other crazy side effects also. This is my fourth month on it. I have severe somach pain, horrible nightmares and crazy constipation. I want off. 
    • Posted

My stomach pain is so bad I feel it in my lower back. Yes, and constipation is horrendous. I am calling my psych tomorrow and asking to be weaned off it. I do NOT like this drug. The side effects outway to benefits for me. Oh, and did I mention my severe itching? He put me on a high dose of hydroxizine and now I am extremely tired all the time.
    • Posted

Sasha are you still on the mirtazapine im having a shocking time. Imnwaitong to see a psyc doc for a one off app as the doctors dont know what to do as im hyper sensitive. I started on 15mg but im taking just 7.5mg but still have stomach pain and terrible pins and needles. But 7.5mg is nothimg for depression x
    • Posted

Kelly, along with the weight gain even though I was excersizing and eating 1100 calories a day and kept gaining. I was so sick. I always felt like I was going to throw up and the pain in my belly was horrrible. I also had a head ache even though I took something for it. My doctor took me off it and upped my Welbutrin. I also take Paxil and Klonipin. I really can' t tell if the Welbutrin is working. I have not been on it long enough. I hope you find the right meds for you. Take care. Let me know what happens.

• Posted

You'll find loads of accounts here to help answer your questions.

I am currently reducing my dose and hope to come off it before Christmas. I looked into it because of noting that some of my patients were being put on it for poor appetite.

I also experienced increased anxiety which was worse with higher doses. I joined the gym and exercised 3x/week and still gained weight.

Good luck.

• Posted

The first thing my pshyciatrist told me was I would gain weight. I didn't think it would be so quick and so much. A couple of pound I thought. Not a stone!!! And how easy it was to gain yet so hard to loose. I joined slimmers world but never lost a pound and I done everything by the book.👎👎

• Posted

I've lost over 2 stone since I started taking it 10 months ago. It's been a slow process, I'm counting calories, logging my meals everyday & keeping active. I'm currently on 45mg so don't know if dosage is a factor?

• Posted

Hi Elaine

I think it's a case of diffrent bodies. I'm taking 30mg for severe depression and anxiety due to life events over the past year.

Struggling to find balance. Sertraline had a terrible effect on me and I literally couldn't eat which was the reason my Physciatrist put me on mertazapine. Now because of the fast weight gain and terrible brusts of anger I am now tapering from mertazapine to venlafaxen which she says are the gold star. Fingers crossed I find a balance with them. Third time lucky I hope.

• Posted

Hi dadoo

How are you doing on venlafaxine are you off the mirtazipine now. Im having a terrible time on them. I tried couple nights off them im on 15mg for depression. The pins and needles eased a little bit the stomach pain was agony. So now im trying 7.5mg last tow nights but all thats going to do is be a sleeping pill x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.