Weight and severe pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 2 1/2 yrs out of my BOS hysterectomy I've put on 40+pounds and my joints feel broke my hands n back are the worst my hands feel broken and numb I can't hold anything for long periods of time my back just feels like the bone is grinding my hips are so sore it affects my everyday life,is there anything I can do to better my weight issues and my painful body I'm not on HRT but just started a otc hormone 2 weeks ago

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What otc hormone have you started taking, I didn't think you could buy anything from a pharmacy? Are you in the UK?
  • Posted

Sorry tracy I hit the wrong button. It sounds as though you may have arthritis from what you're describing. I have osteoarthritis in many joints and it was worse last year when I decided to stop my HRT as I'd taken it since a bilateral oophorectomy in 1991. My GP prescribed me HRT again earlier this year because of the awful menopausal symptoms and my joint pain has improved dramatically. Have you still got your ovaries?
    • Posted

No I don't have my ovaries so I went directly into surgical menopause I was 43 had lost about 60 pounds before surgery and gained it all back in the past yr I'm miserable my back pain is unbearable my knees are bad my test came back negative but my MRI showed cspine bulging disc but the pain is local as in my joints I'm puzzled because I can't get a diagnosis just some sort of meds for pain that don't help at all I'm on a estroven hormone I'm desperate to get some kind of relief I'm sure b I will never get the n old me but b I will die trying I never was told my.life would be less than I expected n it's extremely depressing
    • Posted

You shouldn't be feeling like this though tracy, I also had ovaries removed and once I was on HRT I felt so well again. Go back to you GP with a copy of the NICE Guidelines on HRT which are available to everyone online.
  • Posted

I am encouraged to hear doctors are prescribing HRT again here in the UK.  I have suffered with horrible flushes, no sleep, low mood and went back on HRT and can virtually sleep all night and very little sweats.  I am 63.  But this is not answering Tracy's problems which I agree with Matron sound like low estrogen.  Can you go back to the docs and ask for a blood test to show what your hormone levels are.  Also you can ask for a test via blood sample to show if you have arthritis evidence, though in my case this was negative but an MRI scan showed oestro-arthritis of the spine.  I do exercises to stretch out the lower back which helps.  You shouldn't be suffering like this Tracy and it needs to be looked ino.  Let us know what you decide to do.
    • Posted

Now doctors have the updated NICE Guidelines that encourages the prescribing of HRT things have improved for menopausal woman. I think it's a step toward n the right direction.
    • Posted

Absolutely agree.  I feel so lucky the attitude has changed following the NICE guidelines.  I am being monitored and they will only prescribe 1 to 3 months of HRT at a time but as loing as my blood pressure is OK, I should be OK for HRT for a little while at least.  Quality of life has improved on HRT patches being reinstated but following hysterectomy with removal of cervix I  have problems with no orgasm, which is another story and I am trying to detract from Tracy who is suffering pain, poor lass.  Hope this gets sorted for her
    • Posted

Thank you so very much for commenting I get no answers I'm on my 3rd Dr in a yr it's so bad that I just feel like I'm never going to have a quality of life the weight and the pain consumes me everyday if I were to squat down or sit on the floor I have to slowly scoot and pull myself up I'm shy of 47 yrs old I'm going to see my Dr in a couple of weeks and tell him help me or I will find another Dr but my insurance is terrible can't change that till January so I'm limited
  • Posted

I am wondering if it's scar tissue pulling?  I do hope you get sorted soon.  As you say, same with me, you never expected to feel worse after this operation.  Fingers crossed for you.  Let us know how you get on
    • Posted

If it's tissue I would be floored it mimics IBS SYMPTOMS it's very difficult to manage most time my body is on its b own course of action I have no control over I'm going to speak with my Dr next visit thank you so much for the support I needed to know I'm not alone in my fight to get better apparently a lot of women do not realize the sis affects of hysterectomy can and I's life changing
  • Posted

Hello!

I don't really have any answers as I to am suffereing with the consequences of a hysterectomy that I was told would give me my life back.  It has destroyed my life.  I am in worse pain since the unneeded surgery(yes, the biopsy caome back negative, I did ndot have the adenomyosis they told me I had).  I have had a 50 lb. weight gain, severe pain, back and hip issues, sexual dysfunction, nerve damage, bladder issues, and many more all since the surgery.

I know that many women have a great outcome, but there are us women who don't and we should not be looked down upon for our bodies not healing from the trauma or that fact theat they did not respond how others did.  We desperately want to be better and it is difficult for us to even get through a day sometimes. 

So no, I don't have the answers, and my kids are what get me through, but I cry, beg, plead, keep searching, hoping the next doctor will help.  I just want you to know you are not alone. If you look you will find thousands of women who are suffering still and lots who arent.  Happy for those, but just know someone cares and understands.

Best wishes to you and I hope you find relief eventually!

• Posted

Hello I'm so sorry for your pain I truly understand I too am tramatized by the surgery if it weren't for my 2 beautiful grandchildren I don't think I could keep up the charade but knowing I'm not alone makes me wanna fight and maybe try to make more women aware of the pain in suffering alot of us go through I'm not sure if I can get a morsel of the old me back but reading the struggle you are in I want to try I hope you will fight to thank you so very much you probably don't know it but I'm gonna try for You Too GOD BLESS YOU I'M GRATEFUL I HOPE TO KEEP CONTACT MAYBE A SHOULDER I'M IN THE BOAT TOO GOD BLESS
    • Posted

It's amazing how were told of the need for the surgery I never knew I would have no self esteem or not sure how to love me that's the sad part I didn't know I would question my sanity because I'm fixated on my body my looks my hair I'm just a mess I didn't get that memo or may cause,,,,when I spoke with my Dr
    • Posted

I do feel for you.  I wonder if any of our complaints ever get back to the surgeons who just go on regardless, untouchable, and seemingly to me not give a d...
  • Posted

Thank you for your kind words!

You definately need to get with a doctor who does natural horomone adjusting.  Sometimes diet itself can tweak hormones, but I am not sure as I have not tried that yet.  I kept my ovaries, but they are definately having a hard time working.  That is another thing I was told, that my ovaries would just jump in and start working on their own after a very long stent on birth control pills.  Not so true as long term use slows them down already and then you traumatize them by cutting away the fallopian tubes.  Not goodsad

Also as far as scar tissue, wow, for sure.  I have been in worse pain since my surgery and finally just this past week after seeing at least 25 doctors one finally listened.  She did an ultrasound an could clearly see one ovary adhered to my bowel, the other to the surgical cuff.  That is just the beginning she said.  I am now facing a second surgery for adhesions, which by themselves destroy lives.  I am very fearful to mopen this can of worms as adhesion have a 99% of returning after removal so it is a lifelong battle she said.  Right now I am just looking for a few years hopefully.

Don't let doctors tell you there is nothing wrong or it is all in your head.  I have heard that an worse.  Don't give up, your grandkids need you.

I did find out that my iron, B12, and D3 were low so I am supplementing with that to see if it helps some of the pain.  You might just ask to have some labs ran like ESR and inflammation markers, some minerals and vitamins, and then just some general counts.  I did not realize how low mine were.  I know they won't take away the adhesions, but might help me emotionally while dealing with all this.

Hugs!

• Posted

I went into a surgery with a Vit.D defienancy it was extremely low with further investigation I should of been on a 50,000 unit dose for atleast a month before my surgery but I wasn't now my bones a much weaker I've never taken to dairy especially milk!! Now I'm intolerant as far a scare tissue I can't really tell everything hurts! My chief complaints are severe depression weight gain MOST OF ALL I look 9 months pregnant I'm do bloated in my tummy it hurts constantly I'm so thankful for all the info and just knowing I'm not alone I will not back down I want my life back!!!! Someone is going to help me I will not give up I'm broken but I'm not dead of course my hot flashes are real bad now not sure but there more frequent I think there triggered by my anxiety that's for sure I hope they help you I want you to update me on how your doing I truly am concerned about your health hopefully other women who are considering a hysterectomy can get a insight as to what the female body goes through from our experience
    • Posted

There are thousands of success stories from ladies following hysterectomy. In the UK all surgery is closely monitored thank goodness and I know how it can improve a woman's quality of life. I'm not just speaking from personal experience but professional as well. Good gynaecologists are not hard to find and all practice in the NHS as some privately as well. If there are problems following surgery our gynaecologists have a duty of care towards their patients and must adhere to the Hippocratic Oath at all times. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.