Weight gain

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all 

I have read a lot of your stories about people losing weight with the menopause but I am the complete opposite I am pilling on the pounds. 

Is any one else having the same.  It’s a vicious circle because I am so tired and have no energy to exercise I am really not liking my self at the minute . I went 4 months without a period and had one as well . I am thinking of going on HRT to see if this helps with the weight

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I haven't heard of Hrt helping with losing weight. I gained weight when I went on hrt. Take a multivitamin everyday, take vitamin d3, triple the dose on it, and be gentle with yourself.

• Posted

Hi Lisa I'm the same have put weight on and struggling to shift it! I was on HRT and that didn't help with my weight. I do a lot of walking but nothing seems to shift the weight from my middle I've cut down on my food as well but nothing seems to help. a friend said her weight didn't settle down until after the dreaded 12 months without a period. I went 8 months without a period then had another one so back to counting the months again!!   

• Posted

Oh no I would be gutted too 

Do you get bloating as well as that is really uncomfortable 

• Posted

Hi Lisa 

Sorry me two, I put on the weight wen I started the menopause, I walking my dog every day, even tho I really can't be arsed lol, but no such look, I wish I was one of those who lost the weight lol

But just don't want to go, Iv not had a period since March this year, and I bet I'll get to 11 mth and bloody have one 😩

So I'm hoping once all this crap is over my weight will steady out again 🤞 

So your not on your own with this 🤗Xx

• Posted

I have my fingers crossed for you that you make it to March 

Due you experience the bloating having not had a period 

• Posted

Yes Lisa like I'm 6mth pregnant... my weight use to be ok befor I started menopause, I never had weight issue, but now just won't shift at all, no mater what I try and eat, the weight just don't budge, this menopause as some thing to answer too lol x🤗

• Posted

yes I'm very bloated all the time and my tummy looks big sad I just wish my weight would settle down again I was never over weight until thisrolleyes

• Posted

Thanks all glad I’m not the only one 

I am taking vitamins already to help I have an increased appetite 

Looks like I will have to be more disaplined with my self and start counting the months again 

• Posted

After I went off hrt, a year later, I had gained over 30 lbs. I was bloated and unrecognizable.  Yes, I still have my monthly every 3 months, mind you I had never been fat, or chubby or big, I was a model in my younger years, as a petite model and as a Junior size model, thus this chubby looking thing wasn't making me feel good, so I embarked on a mission to lose the weight, which I did, in fact l loss more than I had expected to. A couple of things to keep in mind when trying to lose weight: 1.  your stomach is too sensitive to handle a lot of food. Therefore, I started juicing, this helped remove a lot of stomach issues including the bloating. 2.  working out truly helped, but you have to do it early morning to burn the most calories and doing kettle balls, easy swings no more than 12 helps burn even more calories where you will see almost immediate results once you start. You can use a 5 lb weight, then move on to an 8 lb weight when you get stronger. 3. This  is a crucial one, stay away from sugar, soda, bread, pasta, rice and fruit. All of these spike your glucose which causes your cortisol to rise and when you have high cortisol you, gain weight and you can't sleep. Last, try to do a 12 hr fast then 14 hr fast then 16 hr fast, at least 3 times a week. No eating any food or snacks while fasting, you can only drink green tea/white tea or plain coffee, or water or sparkling water. I lost over 35 lbs, and I'm close to my high school weight now, I'm like 4 lbs shy of getting there, and yet, people are already saying I'm thin enough.

Basically, there's no need to wait for your monthly to stop or counting months. It's good if you have a friend who can work out with you, my friend, was my support, she was at the tail end of it when i was starting, so she helped pull me out of it, we went to gym together, when I couldn't drive because I was afraid, she would pick me up and drive. Also, if you significant other is there for you, use them as a support system. Having a support system of friends, husbands and family truly helps make the journey less stressful. 

• Posted

Me too...   I'm in that phase where I can eat a salad and gain some weight..  I am currently changing my diet and trying to exercise more..  It's tough at this this age but I have too-- If I give up now, I'll be more depressed later.

• Posted

I’m the same I have tried all different diets 

How old are you 

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I only lost weight because I had drastically changed my diet due to thinking some of my symptoms were reflux related or gastritis related. If you cut out sugar, gluten, alcohol and dairy you won't believe how fast you can drop the weight. But don't be too quick to lose it. I believe we pack on pounds during this time because it's our body's way of storing estrogen that's needed to transition into menopause. I think by me losing weight I only aggravated everything.

Now that I'm back on a regular diet and not watching everything the pounds came flying back on and I'm now in my fat clothing again. 

• Posted

Hi Suzanne, this is interesting.  When you lost the weight, what did it aggravate?  Did it change how you were experiencing menopause?

So far, my doctors haven't said anything about my weight gain, but I feel that it's just a matter of time.

• Posted

I just kept getting sicker. My endocrinologist said I wouldn’t feel better until I put the weight back on, but then again, he’s the one who also said I wasn’t close to meno. 

I read somewhere about estrogen being stored in fat cells and that’s why thinner women have a harder time with meno. 

• Posted

That sounds like a very frustrating experience!  Maybe the solution is to eat healthier and get a little exercise whether we lose weight or not?  I've tried so many different things that haven't helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.