Weight gain

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all 

I have read a lot of your stories about people losing weight with the menopause but I am the complete opposite I am pilling on the pounds. 

Is any one else having the same.  It’s a vicious circle because I am so tired and have no energy to exercise I am really not liking my self at the minute . I went 4 months without a period and had one as well . I am thinking of going on HRT to see if this helps with the weight

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, I'm 46 and going through the same.  I've gained 30 pounds in a year.  I try to exercise and I walk a lot (2-3 miles daily) but the fatigue and lethargy make it hard to get going.  Your "vicious circle" description is perfect.

• Posted

I gained 70 pounds from age 35 to 50. These last few months I lost 20 pounds and haven't changed anything. I'm 51 now, but still in peri. So go figure??? Our bodies are changing rapidly and I never know what to expect. Not sure what is going on anymore. I love how the doctors say "You need to lose weight "...nah really??????

• Posted

Hi Laura, I agree about never knowing what to expect.  It's all so crazy!  So far, my doctors haven't said anything about my weight gain.  I'll be shocked if someone doesn't mention it soon.  My mother and sister certainly have.

• Posted

That's nice that your doctor doesn't say anything. Maybe he understands it's not your fault. I tried every diet from Jenny Craig to Nutrisystem and what a waste of money. I exercised as much as my exhausted body would allow and NOTHING! I looked like I was 9 months pregnant because of so much bloating. My husband kept telling me it's menopause and just wait. Well, like I said I'm still in peri and eating like I have been, but have lost weight. Maybe my body is settling down hopefully??? What I'm trying to say is try not to stress yourself out about it (I know just saying it doesn't help), but right now try to focus on your mental health and try to stay away from stressful situations if possible and get lots of rest. Hugs to you and keep posting!xxx

• Posted

Thanks, Laura.  I fear that one of them will say something eventually, but so far they haven't.  I really believe that the anxiety and depression are made much worse by worrying so much about the weight.  I tried a Weight Watchers points plan and that was a disaster.  It was too little food and just made me crave food more.  Your advice about reducing stress and getting more rest makes a lot of sense and I've been paying more attention to when I'm tired and going to bed earlier.  I take naps sometimes, too.  Take care and hang in there!

• Posted

Hi Lisa. I did loose weight because of being sick throwing up..I'm now better and put it back on more in my tummy and I don't know if it's bloating or gas or fat feel uncomfortable sometimes,I'm not big person either that's the problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.