Weight Gain After Embolization

Posted , 27 users are following.

I am hoping for any information on this. I had an embolization done almost a year ago on a fibroid that was the size of a cantelope. I was 145 lbs, 5-8, and had started gaining abdominal weight. Once I had the procedure, weight never came off and only added to. I am now 175. I eat healthy, allergic to many things, so I have a strict diet. I eat anywhere from 800-1800 calories a day depending on my work day. I was anemic for almost a year, couldn't work out. Ferritin was really low, had 2 sets of infusions for that. I now have Hashimotos as well. I was even put on a weight loss drug adipex and didn't lose a pound. I feel helpless at this point. I want it to go away, I am not used to this body and I don't have clothes that fit and I refuse to by anything bigger. 

Any thoughts? 

5 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am also experiencing major weigh gain since I had UAE.

• Posted

I am in the exact same predicament..excessive weight gain still full abdominal bloat, no libido..has anyone gotten any medical advice? I am ready to reverse and just get the partial. has anyone found a way to loose weight? I am beyond depressed. 5'7 150lbs my whole life..even after child birth..since the UFE in 2017..180lbs..I cry alot

• Posted

Hello VEE73,

Any update? Did you decide to reverse and get the partial?

• Posted

hi, has anyone been able to find some answers or get relief? i had a myomectmy in 2015 and fibroids came back. my myomectmy lasted 4 hours more than expected and i lost a lot of blood so when fibroids came back i opted for UFE in late 2019. i don't gain weight easily and have been the same size/weight for 20+ years, in the last 4 months i have gained 8lbs! i am exercising and have ramped it up, to contain the weight gain but it is not helping. instead the lbs just keep adding on. my diet has not changed, i am not eating any more than before. i was told that UFE would help with the bloating and blown up belly, but it hasn't - feel like it has gotten worse. i basically have a permanent pregnant looking abdomen. i am wondering if it has something to do with the particles they put in to block the blood supply to the fibroids? i told my OBGYN about the weight gain, she did not comment to it . I told her about the distended looking belly and she is suggesting an IUD. this is extremely frustrating!

• Posted

Hello s24230,

What did you end up doing, and did it help?

• Posted

I had the UFE surgery in May 08,2020 I had been bleeding so much to where I could not stand up I could feel the fibroids falling out of me. I don't want to gross you out but they huge tumors falling in the toilet. I took pictures to show my obgyn but he did not want to look. I was bleeding before surgery as I had bled for just at 2 months. Surgery went fine had to stay overnight at hospital. Came home bled another week it stopped finally. Later in that month I bled 2 days and it shut off. I have not had a cycle since except the other day there was a surprisingly spot of red but it went away. I have become a very fat ass and believe it or not I don't eat a lot and I don't feel pretty anymore. I've gained over 25 lbs and I barely eat. I'm so happy to hear and read I'm not alone.

• Posted

Hi KC10,

Please, can you share your experience post UFE? You posted on here about 8 months ago....how are you doing now? I have also gained lots of weight, and my knees hurt when I walk. I still do not have periods. My UFE was in February 2020. I had only one period in September/2020, and now is May 2021, and no periods....I am so stressed.

Hope you are doing better and can share a good news.

• Edited

i am sorry sorry to hear your story. Mine is all to familiar! i had UFE done in 2018 on a grapefruit size fibroid with Dr. John Lipman. i ended up passing the entire fibroid 3 mos after UFE. Dr Lipman said he's never had a patient pass a whole fibroid that size. about 6 weeks after that i gained 20 pounds with constant bloating and water retention. I have always been 130 pounds for prob close to 15-18 years. i worked out 3-4 times a week as well and felt good about my body. i eat healthy and did nothing to warrant the weight gain. i cannot shed any of this weight. I feel trapped in a body thats not my own, and i cant do anything about it. I look 6 months pregnant from the bloating. i feel like i got rid of the fibroid which always caused me to bloat now only to have this problem! i feel helpless and hopeless and im becoming depressed! i really wish there was a doctor somewhere that could help figure out what happened after this UFE procedure!

• Edited

i had my ufe done December 2019. if i knew what i know now i never would have had it.

i also gained so much weight and so much abdominal fat to the point that i dont even recognize myself. i gym i eat well but cant seem to lose it. i also noticed my skin has sagged added wrinkles and i just look bad overall. worst is one cannot detox or a strict detox because of those implants. i also aged allmost overnight. i feel and look terrible. i used to weigh between 60-65kg, i now weigh allmost 100 kg.

• Edited

Have anyone come up with an alternative for weight loss? I to am in the same predicament 1 year post op, and have gained 20 pounds 🤦🏾‍♀️

• Edited

This thread confirms im not crazy or over eating etc! I had the UFE June 2022 and have gained nearly 30 lbs since my procedure! i actually work out more and eat better than i every have and scale is climbing versus losing weight. Im depressed and regret getting the procedure. Sure I dont have crazy bleeding but i bleed less but more often. My periods used to be heavy but went away in 4-5 days. Now bleeding can last up to 10-12 days and effecting my libido! i have an appointment to get bllod work done on Dec 22. i hope i can get some answers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.