Weight Gain After Embolization

Posted , 27 users are following.

I am hoping for any information on this. I had an embolization done almost a year ago on a fibroid that was the size of a cantelope. I was 145 lbs, 5-8, and had started gaining abdominal weight. Once I had the procedure, weight never came off and only added to. I am now 175. I eat healthy, allergic to many things, so I have a strict diet. I eat anywhere from 800-1800 calories a day depending on my work day. I was anemic for almost a year, couldn't work out. Ferritin was really low, had 2 sets of infusions for that. I now have Hashimotos as well. I was even put on a weight loss drug adipex and didn't lose a pound. I feel helpless at this point. I want it to go away, I am not used to this body and I don't have clothes that fit and I refuse to by anything bigger. 

Any thoughts? 

5 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I have tried so many options and I have come to find out that the weight gain is not because we are fat, but according to my ultrasound I have a lot of air (gas) in my stomach due to the UFE surgery, which is causing me to look 6 months pregnant. I have an appointment with my Gyne in 2 weeks to discuss my options, because according to the esthetician I may be allergic to the pellets from the UFE surgery, which is why my stomach is so bloated. I will come back in a couple of weeks with updates. I hope this helps ladies.

• Posted

look forward to your update , good luck and be well .c

• Posted

Thank you Vimto!!!

Are you having similar issues?

• Edited

Hello. I hope the consultation goes well for you. I am 12 years post embolisation. I had 20 fibroids a mixture of sizes and one large pendunculated fibroid.

I guess i went into surgery blind, although to be fair i did speak to the GP and consultant about my concerns. I am one of those unfortunate souls who really is blighted by medication.

The after surgery was horrendous , my blood pressure dropped tremendously,i vomited til i retched ,ran a fever . I knew it was bad because staff suddenly appeared . I was told to lie down ridiculous as i vomited continuously. So 12 years on ive suffered agonising pain from degeneration, post menopause i still double up every month , ive passed out numerous times , the force of cramping has destroyed my pelvic floor and trapped my pedundle nerve causing nerve pain from my bum to uretha. I now take pregablin. I remain incontinent . The urogynaecology department tell me ive gone through the menopause which is true so none of the above is possible.

The whole thing saddens me.

Im here today because my urogynaecology team have started to lie and are citing a breakdown in trust and communication. I for once said i think we need to retrace our steps and see what may have gone wrong. Hence if i were you I'd take an advocate with you if you are going to start to ask questions and if you dare record or ask the advocate to summarise. You may be treading on very thin ice !!!

I dont have a gynacology team now just because i said one sentence.

Last month i was again in agony , my kind and caring GP and i truly mean that is at a loss, i turn up in a&e to be told no go.

I here this evening as im going to go down the GUM clinics next . I fear this will never stop and could potentially kill me.

Your post caught my eye because of your thoughts on allergic reaction. I too pondered on this thought a few years ago.

Take care i wish you the very best going forward.

• Posted

Oh no I'm so sorry you're going through this. I just left a visit from my gynecologist and she really didn't listen to me and shut down every idea I had when I told her my stomach wasn't like this before I had the UFE surgery. My ultrasound said my stomach was full of air possibly from the UFE surgery. I told her my stomach blows up every time I eat, and I look 6 months pregnant, and she said to follow up with my primary doctor, because that was have something to do with my intestines, and I would need to see a GI doctor. This whole ordeal is very frustrating, but I'm determined to get some answers even if I can find a doctor to remove the pellets. My symptoms after the UFE surgery has been great, but I didn't expect this stomach, and it's only getting worse. I have an appointment with my doctor Wednesday I'm going to have a conversation with her about it and see what she thinks.

• Posted

Hello,

I am scheduled to have my fibroid embolization procedure next week and was just doing more research and came across this thread.

I found this site https://patient.info/forums/discuss/had-uterine-fibroid-embolisation-19th-oct-still-feel-nauseous-and-have-hot-spells-is-anyone-else--485014 that references fibroids releasing Estrogen when they die which might contribute to everyone's weight gain.

My surgeon assured me that there would be no complications however I'm seriously re-considering this procedure!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.