Weight gain on mertiapine !!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi iv been on mertiapine since December. .piled on the weight straight away like no other meds.. Iv been dieting forever & really want to stop now..does anyone have any solutions please..would be so grateful

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have been on same (30mg) for 18 months. I have gained 3 stone and I hate myself this size. I am on a slow taper now and would advise you to do the same sooner rather later  if you want the weight gain to stop because it just keeps piling on. 

Some will tell you it's different for everyone, just read through these forums and it is plain to see that it is like it for most. 

I rue the day I started this particular med.

• Posted

Hi Lorraine what's a slow taper ? Yer I put 11lb on in just over 2weeks couldn't believe my eyes .. Iv tried lots of AD over the years & this has been the best by far.. its just typical that.. Iv been doing the Cambridge diet ..5 weeks now .which is so hard ..I shouldn't really be doingit. last week I gained because I ate almost normal just for 1day.. this med should have a warning sign come with!!
    • Posted

I agree Sharon that it is an amazing AD, it worked wonderfully for me too. When the weight started going on I would console myself with the face that I would rather be fat and happy but Jesus Christ this weight gain DOES NOT stop.

i have it on good advise from someoneone on here that a slow taper is 10% every 2-3 weeks, so it's not quick. I am down to 15mg and my next drop is due now...so far so good. I am seeing Psych this week, hopefully for alternative meds. I am sorry I no longer have the link, hopefully someone that has it sees your entry.

I have seen a couple of entries that state they haven't gained weight and warn not to listen to negativity.

My point is, if you are not that lucky and the weight is already piling on.....these carb cravings do not stop. I hope go get to grip with it before you end up like me as 3 stone overweight isn't healthy nor pretty. 

i do wish you luck.

• Posted

Arhhhhh thanks for this Lorraine .. be really good to see how you get on.. I see mine nxt on the 15th I don't no what to do ..she's not really caring .. it was a trainee who told me I shouldn't be on quetiapine because of my weight problem ..system so cruel ..it's like what so we got depression is what we look like don't matter..I was on sertraline for ages before this but hated it didn't have much of a weight gain either ..
    • Posted

I will let you know. I am going on Wednesday. If he doesn't give me something else without these side effects I will just continue reducing as apparently the cravings do go. I cannot wait. I have been wearing the same two outfits for God knows how long. I refuse to buy any more big clothes.

I actually feel like I am carrying a whole other person around on my back. Not sure if there is a 'happy medium' I suppose time will tell.

Just please be careful and don't end up like me, but hey ho onwards and upwards. I'm going to give this my best shot. Hope you do too.

• Posted

So of you less the dose like but go back up the cravings go ?? I'd be happy if that was the case
    • Posted

Maybe a good idea if that's sufficient to deal with the 'mental problems'

Hope so. Be good wouldn't it...win win x

• Posted

Yer defo for sure ..I dnt think I craved like this on 15mg ... but being on 5mg no craves no weight gain & a pretty good head would be amazing 😊
  • Posted

Ive put a couple of stones on too since being on mirtazapine but i was hardly eating before i went on it. Now im upto 45mg and have been advised to eat healthily - to be honest my diet is basically junk food, and i get terrible munchies at night - crisps, chocolate, cake, buns, sweets.

Have been eating better this past week but it takes some doing when you're really depressed and anxious, which i am, it never lets up and i'm so sick of it. x

• Posted

Hi Tina my doc told me I could go upto 45mg now but I opted for the zopiclone because like you I get the munchies so bad like 15mins after taking them.. I then argue with myself for a couple of hours over food then give in eat n worn out in the morn.. its like a vicious circle ..yer all u want is comfort food at times like that .. I lost it the other week n I think it's due to depriving myself ..once I'd eaten carbs & seemed to be getting back to normal x
    • Posted

Vicious circle isn't it. 

The science is that it tricks your body into believing it is diabetic...hence the carb cravings.

Seems to me the weight goes on even if you barely eat, which is a nightmare on its own isn't it?

• Posted

Ahhhhh it sure is .. hate being fat & depressed ... why don't any meds let u stay the same or even lose weight..be a bonus.. Iv even tried fat burners ..they make me feel anxious so then eat .. cnt win
    • Posted

Apparently there are a few.

Old fashioned amitryptaline is one, which is supposed to be good. I think Sertraline is kind of ok too. Not sure though.

• Posted

I just wish i felt an inkling of my old self, i'm on 300mg Effexor, 800mg Lithium and 45mg mirtazapine - mirt was increased a week ago from 30mg.I have the odd window where i feel back to near normal but nothing for 3 weeks now. How long is this gonna go on - 16 months upto now 😣
    • Posted

I did when I switched to just 15mg mirtazapine I felt really bright it was really nice for a change ..sleeping well too . .people around me noticed how diff I was .I think maybe the weight gain & starving myself of food never mind just carbs has made me feel ill again.. I also take lithium 1000mg. what's effexor ?? Have u noticed much diff with goin upto 45mg ..I'm not doin it if I'm gona crave more ..
    • Posted

Effexor is venlafaxine (anti depressant).

I couldnt honestly say whether 45mg is any worse for munchies cos the increase was given at the same appointment as being advised to lose weight.

• Posted

Oh yeh iv been on venlafaxine few years back they went to put me back on them until I told her I never stop talking to myself & racing thoughts so she said mirtazapine ..they have worked pretty well with the talking to myself n racing thoughts.. my god they don't seem to have a clue ..pick n mix

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.