Weight gain on mertiapine !!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi iv been on mertiapine since December. .piled on the weight straight away like no other meds.. Iv been dieting forever & really want to stop now..does anyone have any solutions please..would be so grateful

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Mirtazapine is prescribed for anorexics to help them to put weight on !  

I gained 20 lbs in about a year, ggrrrrr ... now coming off Mirt very slowly,  5% cuts every 2 weeks (this is what is known as tapering off); now at 5 mg and no food cravings any longer, hurrah hurrah !!!  And slowly losing weight, which fills me with joy smile  

What do you mean you want to "stop" - stop putting weight on or stop the Mirt?

• Posted

I was anorexic in my 20s took many years to eat properly again .. totally paranoid about my always feeling fat.. I eventually got better was sort of content bein 9-9 1/2 stone..it's been hard work with all the diff meds iv been on I cnt believe I was put on this without any warning .. fat makess someone with depression even more depressed so why do it?? I dnt get it..

What are you gonna go on when your off this then?

I thought there might be a way to stop the weight piling on.. my phyciatrist

• Posted

Sorry my phyciatrist always says just drink 2 litres of water a day that will stop weight gain.. that was with lithium tho.. nothing was mentioned about weight with mirtazapine
    • Posted

Doesn't sound like they warn anyone. 

Quick fix and then all the associated health problems that come with weight gain, and self loathing of course.

Nightmare isn't it?

• Posted

Me too. Only happy if I'm a couch potato eating cakes. 

Certainly comfort eating. Can't see how this could possibly be a long term cure.

• Posted

We.l be on TV fattest people in Britain at this rate or bald women the pulling it out with dieting .
    • Posted

Hi like you I was anorexic in my teens and have always struggled with my weight. I'm tall and muscley which means I'm at the top end of my ideal weight but I have a Bmi of 23 at the moment which I see as ok. I do want to drop about 2 kilos which I put on last year as a result of not being able to exercise as normal due to other illness.

I started mirtazapine last week and put on 4ibs in the first couple of days. Like you my doctor didn't mention this as a side effect. Over the past few months I've noticed some of my previous eating issues creeping back in and I did tell the doctor when he asked me that I had made myself sick on occasions after eating so am quite surprised he gave them to me.

Now to stop the weight gain I've basically barely eaten anything and I know I'm heading very quickly back to an eating disorder. I've dropped 6ibs in 3 days but I can't bring myself to eat anything and I'm not finding it crave anything. What's more information switched to mirtazapine to help sleep as well as depression and I currently have not had a good sleep barely 2 hours and feel worse than ever 😕

• Posted

Hi I dnt think I craved on 15mg bt had the best sleep.. I couldn't of stayed awake even if I tried..BT did put the weight on straight away.. I think 2weeks later upto 30mg.. its almost impossible to fight the cravings.. I started Cambridge diet lost 1 stone in 3weeks .but it's not good at all for mood ..I went bk to the doctors told him I'm not sleeping good to give me zopiclone. .he said mirtazapine is a sleep aid il put it up to 45mg I said no because it gives me cravings as soon as I have them.. oh dear do they really he says.. I cnt stay on this diet feel like banging my head at times ..I go the hosp nx week hopefully sort something .. I have 7.5mg zopiclone works well.. not all the time though they don't like giving me them .. don't no why I had insomnia for years so pretty often struggle .
    • Posted

Never really had sleep problems like this before. A while ago I started having trouble sleeping Wednesday nights for 6 months but that stopped. My insomnia really only started about 4 weeks ago and I know it is connected to anxiety about my husband having cancer treatment. I'm already feeling weak following surgery and blood loss as a result and I'm absolutely shattered. I'm due back to work tomorrow and am worried that I'm going to be exhausted tomorrow night.
    • Posted

Oh my not good hey no wonder your not sleeping with stress & all .. I'd be phoning the doctor tomorrow you can't wait ..
  • Posted

Same Sharon, I have gained a stone and 8lbs in 7 weeks!!
    • Posted

Oh my this has been the worst med ever for gaining weight & cravings .. think I'm gona see about coming off .. I cnt be on a diet forever for nothing it's driving me crazy
  • Posted

I have the docs on thursday, I am going to see him about coming off them, this is rediculous, never had such an apetite in my life
    • Posted

I can't blame you iv got mine nxt Tues think il be saying the same .. its a shame because mentally they worked ..I felt so good then all this weight has made me feel like crap again..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.