Weight gain on mertiapine !!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi iv been on mertiapine since December. .piled on the weight straight away like no other meds.. Iv been dieting forever & really want to stop now..does anyone have any solutions please..would be so grateful

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The weight gain is one of the downfalls with this med.  If it's not nailed to the floor,  I'm eating it.  Probably my own fault,  if I go to the fridge and see a piece of fruit and a bar of chocolate,  I'll go for the chocolate.  I don't even want to weigh myself.
    • Posted

Iv done some research found the reason why..we crave sugar because mirtazapine is an hestime blocker so our insulin is taking all the sugar out of our blood making us crave sugar. . Iv never wanted sweets like it.. Iv managed to lose 16.5 lb now in 5 weeks thr no carbs tho 😢 drinking 2-3 letres water a day & walking .. I still crave sweets tho & it's so hard at night ..
    • Posted

My doctor told me last week that im high risk for diabetes and to lose some weight, no mention that mirtazapine was to blame - he obviously thinks im just a pie muncher for the sake of it. Anyone for half a cake?
    • Posted

Makes me so angry why can't they read up & then prescribe .. . I piled loads of weight on with quetiapine too...prescribed by top phyciatrist. .my next app was 3months later I was seen by a trainee as Mr top man was forever off.. he said I should never of been put on it with having an eating disorder previously as id always be fat on it ..your matabilism never speeds back up on it... he could see how depressed I was without saying much. I should of been pt on lithium but it's a more expensive drug..

I'd luv some cake but il cry afterwards 😂

• Posted

Well done. That's fab losing that.  My weight is going the other way. I find the night time is the worst for wanting sweet things.  I have a blocked saliva gland so I have to keep sucking on bitter lemon sweets. Imagine the amount of sugar in them.  Is the weight issue the same on all doses.  I've just started on 30mg.
    • Posted

Thankuuuu

Omg the night time just wana knock meself out. . Especially when u can go alday without exercise stick to this god dam diet.. take the pill & boom.. pure arguing with myself for 2-3hrs n no I wnt sleep till I give in..

Oh god no ..poor u. Just mouth must b sore too..we'll I was on 15mg pt the weight on.. Iv found with 30mg the craving is more immense. . Iv been on this diet 6 weeks I only started mirtazapine Dec ..that's how quick it got me

• Posted

I've lost 16lb since I started mirt but that's down to fasting (400cals) two consecutive days of the week. It's tough to do but highly effective. I don't have any crisps / snacks / biscuits in the house so that the temptation isn't there to graze when I feel like it.
    • Posted

Weldone 😊 no I cnt have any sweets in the house especially jellys .. never even ate them before mirtazapine ..crisps & snacks dnt seem to bother me .. Iv started taking chromium see how I get on..Iv lost 16.5 lb iv still Gt 15 to go .. I'm finding I'm having bad calf & hip problems when I walk unreal pain at times .. I'm not unfit been the gym & kept fit most of my life .
    • Posted

Well done Sharon. I want to shift another stone as I'm overweight which isn't down to mirt but just poor diet tbh. I'm loosing about 2lb per week at the moment and long may it continue. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks staz 😊 you keep up the good work too. Losing like this is suposed to be better for keeping it off .. rather than massive loses .. good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.