Weight loss

Posted , 16 users are following.

I may have ask before but has anybody lost weight  while on preds. I have lost muscle mass. Guess that would make you lose numbers on scale. I know I sound dumb to this but i am. I have so many questions that my doctor just seems to vaguely answer so i come here for answers. Thanks to all for any help.

2 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

initially I had massive muscle wasting and lost weight. it wasn't good weight loss, but muscle, 30 + pounds. I had to use a wheel chair for a short period of time and see a physical therapist to regain some muscle. I'm not where I was but I can get around on my own and only need a cane on occasion. prednisone sucks.
  • Posted

HI Phyllis, I certinly LOST weight, almost 1stone, in the first 18months of taking Pred. When I mentioned this to the doc. she insisted on a full CAT scan "just in case something is going on". Freaked me out while waiting a week for the results, but all was normal. So I guess, though it's not common, it does happen, I didn't get the 'moon face' either - so hope this also applies to yourself! Weight now stabilised and I'm now down to 4.5mg. Pred. and holding . . . . Good luck to you, and keep in touch. J
    • Posted

You were one person medics dread, losing weight before diagnosis and once on pred, still losing weight.   They don't worry about the weight gain as much, but losing weight - they worry.

Glad to see you are doing OK>

• Posted

Hi Phillis,

Before diagnoses I lost quite a bit of weight.  After Pred I continued to lose and went fr 155 to 129.  I have stayed at this weight for the last month.

i don't know if it was muscle or fat because I was never muscular. 

as for hair loss or dry hair I use argan oil on my hair before washing let it sit

there for about half hour and then wash with an Argan shampoo.  Hair

shines and is very manageable and I don't notice much loss.  I also have

very fine hair.

Bowen Technique--very interesting and I will try it.  I found a licensed therapist who comes to the house and it's $90.00.  How often would she have to come for me to get results?

• Posted

Eileen said somewhere that if Bowen doesn't work after 3 treatments there probably isn't any point in continuing.
    • Posted

My Therapist Joanna, told me if there was no improvement after  a one hour session for three consective weeks, then it would not work for me.

This I liked, it was then obvious they were sincere about there work and not out to diddle you out of your money. 

It worked for me and I just wished I had listened to EileenH a couple of years earlier.  I call it white witchcraft. Goolge Tom Bowen inventor of Bowen, the story is fascinating.

• Posted

Hi Phyllis, this forum is brilliant.  I have got 99% of information on this site and the good people who use it are all welcoming.  Hang in there and no question is ever too silly.  I have put weight on, maybe over a stone.  I have reduced pred 20mg November past and am now on 10mg since 1st June.  Good luck on your PMR journey.  Regards Pat
  • Posted

I also have OA so maybe Bowen will work for that.  Hope so!

Found someone else from UK whe is from Manchester and trained over there.  Maybe you know her😀😀😀😀. She must be busy because she still hasn't called back.

Be great if it worked for my lower back pain

• Posted

Where is your OA, I have if in the left knee.  ARC UK Research produced, with a German Pharmaceutical co a bio-mechcanical cream, it works like WD40, (oh you probably don't have that in the states, it is like oiling a lock or hinge that won't work or creaks).

I tried it and it is fantastic and a load of others with OA have also found the benfit of it.  It is called Flexiseq.

The beauty of it is, it disappears and does not linger in your joints and, of course, it has not effect on you or side effects as it is not a conventional drug.

• Posted

Wow Lodger that cream sounds awesome.  I'm going to order it if I can.

like you my OA is in the left knee and between the lumbar 4 and 5 vertabrae

WD40 is very popular in the states (have two cans in the garage) as is Duct Tape which fixes any household problem. We even have Independence Day-coming up😀

The only thing we don't have are great doctors and if we do I can't find

them.  Also, we don't have a great group like this one.

My husband and I have a little wager going as to whether Lodger is a male or female name.  I say male, do I win?

i called led the lady from Manchester again but no call back.  

• Posted

Hi Phyllis, I lost weight, and I lost muscle mass because of fairly high intake of prednisone a few months ago. My figure has changed, and I don't like it.  Unfortunately doctors don't know much about it and don't have any answers.  We are fellow sufferers and understand each other --- thanks to this great forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.