Weight loss

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

I'm on day 9 of citalopram and I have lost so much weight. I was small to begin with and i'm guessing i've lost at least a stone in weight. I have absolutely no appetite & I feel so weak. I haven't been able to leave the house for a few days it's got that bad. To begin with I was constantly being sick (even before starting citalopram) due to anxiety. I'm starting to worry a lot about the weight loss now & maybe think I should stop the citalopram? Whenever I even think about food it makes me feel sick. I have been living off fruit & protein shakes. Help please sad

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Please take a look at my post only 6 days ago, since then my anxiety and nausea have decreased quite a bit.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/citalopram-20-mg-for-28-days-please-help--498847?page=0#1958766

In 2005, I lost almost 3 stone in 2 months, before Cit and CBT started to work.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

My doctor called me back and quickly spoke to me for 5 mins just saying he'll switch me to Prozac!! I really don't think i will take it as it's only been 9 days on citalopram...isnt that too early to tell if its working or not? I do NOT want to start all over again with something else, ive read the side effects are worse than citalopram too!!! sad 
    • Posted

Oh dear, thae doctors often get it horribly wrong. Swithching at this stage is just going to give you another round of side effects. Stick with citalopram, I have also lost loads of weight, and am doing my best to eat good food, even if it is smaller amounts. Many people gain weight after a while, so hang in through this horrible stage, eat as much as you can and rest too. Take care, and yes, things will get so much better with a little more time. I hope you feel better soon. Lee. 
    • Posted

Rw , I'm know doctor but yes 9 days is early to say citalopram is not working. It takes time to get into your system and then your system to adjust to the med as it makes changes to help you feel better.
    • Posted

Thank you, I thought he was wrong!! I just had a panic attack thinking about changing sad I definitely won't take the Prozac, I'm seeing my own doctor on Wednesday anyway so I'll see what she says then. Is there any anti-sickness pills that would work? How long have you been taking citalopram for? Thank you, I hope we all better soon x
    • Posted

Yes thought so! I don't want to change and have to start over again!
  • Posted

Hello again . I started to get my appetite back after 2 weeks , so hopefully you should start feeling better soon . I very nearly stopped taking the tablets early on because of the bad side effects , but I stuck with it as I knew the alternative was to carry on as I had been and there was no way that I could do that , so I persevered . I'm so glad that I did . I know it's hard , but you will gradually see that light at the end of the tunnel . Please let us know how you are getting on . We all thinking of you . Xx
    • Posted

Ahh I hope so! It is so tempting just to quit but I think I've just forgotten how bad I was before as these side effects seem so bad! I just had a panic attack & was sick, first time in about a week sad The doctors have made me feel like the citalopram won't work for me now. Thank you for the support it means so much xx
    • Posted

I have not met a single doctor who expects Citalopram to kick in within 9 days. All literature and research point to the fact that it takes atleast 2 - 6 weeks for the medicine to start working. I am very sure that your doctor knows that, but he/she might look in to switching AD, if the side effects are too intolerable. As you decribe, the anxiety was bad before Citalopram, so changing AD might not solve anything. You are already 10 days in to Citalopram, and relief might be just around the corner. Hang in there.
    • Posted

Hi

Everyone's different don't want to put a downer on things but what I've learned from this wonderful site is it can take months to start feeling the meds kick in I'm on week 11 and still get the ups and downs but I can say it's a lot better than when I first started them it's a long road to recovery BUT WE WILL GET THERE

• Posted

Yes I'll carry on with the citalopram and see how it goes. I woke up very anxious today in a pool of sweat! I just can't imagine being like this for 6 weeks sad I am completely house bound at the moment. Also my 'best friend' just called me emotionally unstable which didn't help..

X

• Posted

Thanks, how were you at the beginning? I keep thinking surely it's not normal to feel this bad 😞 I have a doctors appointment on Wednesday & even thinking about having to get there is freaking me out. I might see if I can get a home appointment X
    • Posted

How right you are Don. You're not being a downer, just honest. I am about to start my fourth month on 20 mg and only about half way there. The initial side effects have long gone though. Rw hang in there, and lime others say the side effects subside, but it may take a while to feel loads better. Lee.
    • Posted

Of course you are emotionally unstable, nobody walks though an anxiety breakdown with a clear mind. Your reactions, fears, and symptoms are all normal.

Please keep in mind that side effects (often increased anxiety) will decrease in strenght sooner than 6 weeks.

• Posted

Thanks I'll stick with it. Do you think maybe my dose should be increased to 20mg? I really don't want to change meds, I'm determined to stick with the citalopram
    • Posted

When I first started Citalopram, my anxiety was increased at first. Feeling very bad, I upped my dose too soon (1 week), and felt even worse.

I would wait until your initial side effects wear off, and slowly move your way up to 20 mg (if your doctor agree that 20 mg is a better dose for you)

You are afraid that 10 mg will not be high enough dose, but many in here get relief on 10 mg, and later move up to 20 mg when they are ready.

It is very much trail and error. If the side effects are strong it is better to wait, but if your anxiety and nausea has not been increased by starting Citalopram, doctors will often try to increase the dose a bit sooner.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.