Weight Loss

Posted , 14 users are following.

Has anyone else experienced weight loss whilst taking Prednisolone?  Within 2 weeks of starting just over 6 weeks ago I lost half a stone then put 4lbs back on quite quickly however, when I weighed myself last week I was back to square one, having lost the 4lbs again.  I am eating normally and haven't changed my eating habits so I'm a bit baffled as I thought the indication was to gain weight on Prednisolone not  to lose it - not that I want to put on weight I might add!  Any comments gratefully received.

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Some very lucky people do lose weight - so I wouldn't complain too loudly! 

As long as your doctor has checked for all the rather more unpleasant reasons for the symptoms of PMR I'd accept it gratefully!

• Posted

Replies to this post just go to show what an idiosyncratic disease PMR is.  I lost a lot before diagnosis and have been very careful with diet since going on pred so haven't gained back more than a couple of pounds in the last ten months.  But also really increased exercise.
  • Posted

Unfortunately I'm in the weight gain category, would be very happy to gave your dilemma. 😀
  • Posted

I lost weight --- 17 pounds in one year and I was surprised.  Lots of muscle waisting on arms and my upper torso. Terrible wrinkles!!

I started to eat more healthy....less carbs and sugar.  I lost 1 1/2 pound a month which is okay, but I worried about it.  I am now back to what I weight 10 years ago.  I should not complain, just surprised.

I was on high 40/20 mg of prednisone almost 2 years ago.  I am now down to 7 mg and decreasing by 1/2 mg every two weeks.

• Posted

Hi Fran,

i lost way too much weight.  When I began getting PMR symptoms I weighed about 126 and once I started Pred (20 mgs) I started losing weight and I had no appetite.  I'm 5'4" and my weight quickly went down to 104 and stayed there. I looked like a scarecrow and had no energy or strength. 

As as my Pred dose goes down my weight goes up - there is definitely a relationship. I'm currently on 3 3/4 mgs and weight is 122. I look forward to being off Pred and getting that last 5 pounds back. 

• Posted

Medics worry when you lose weight whilst on pred.

• Posted

No, but it is in the BSR Guidelines on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Polymyalgia.   These are available on the site, the BSR site and the North East website. All can be downloaded.

New updated guidelines (with patients input this time) will be issued later this year.

• Posted

Almost certainly because PMR can be a symptom of underlying malignancy - and that is commonly associated with weight loss. Any unexplained weight loss should be investigated even if there is no other complaint. Since the more common response to pred is weight gain - it could be a sign this isn't "our" PMR you have but one of the other variants that is continuing unrecognised.
    • Posted

Thanks Eileen,

I had clean forgotten that you had told me ages ago.

Age does not come alone - it brings unwanted friends. rolleyes

• Posted

Now you've really frightened me Eileen especially as I'm still experiencing this awful feeling of weakness. Will be glad when I've spoken to my Dr again next week. Going for another blood test this morning.
    • Posted

Fran

It is not frightening - it is you gaining knowledge and getting the correct treatment.

That is why we are all here to help each other out.

• Posted

Yeah, but I sure wish they'd figure out what's going on then! Would really suck if two years later they figure out some kind of malignancy as Eileen put it. I hate it when you hear too late that someone has stage 4 something or other and they don't have long to live. 

I've  decided not to take the osteoporosis injections and drugs and live this next year with as much gusto as I can! 

I had high hopes of riding my bike on my property and country roads, now they've put fear of me falling and shattering my spine. Also hopes of running again. Heck with the muscle wasting this morning I realized that could probably affect my bladder too couldn't it? 

But, I'm also going to hope it's just my body reacting and losing weight as to not put too much stress on my tendons and PMR areas. As weighing less it's easier to get up, though lifting things another story. Opening jars, another story. I used to be quite strong,

Doctor said those with more weight have better chances of not getting osteoporosis. I'm not steering  this answer to Lodger, but to all. 

• Posted

Looking at drugs com website for side effects of Prednisone there is quite a long list and though not in the common area, they list weight loss, and many other side effects I have/had, so maybe I just am the non common person to get other effects and hopefully this is true of those of us who lost considerable amount. 

Mrs. CJ! Thanks for sharing that you are gaining as you are low on Pred.  I just started 5 mg. wink 

• Posted

"Doctor said those with more weight have better chances of not getting osteoporosis."

That is because when you indulge in weight-bearing exercise it deforms your bones a tiny tiny amount - and that tells the bones they need to bulk up a bit. Obviously, we curvy ladies will deform the bones a bit more than the sylph-like ones so there is a bigger signal sent out.

Of course, muscle wasting will lead to some weight loss as muscle weighs more than fat. So it is important to do some exercises to try to counteract the loss of muscle bulk. 

Sorry if anyone finds a statement of the reasons for checking things out scary - but I feel it would be wrong to ignore the possible aspects of something else, including malignancy. Forewarned is forearmed...

• Posted

Ah   "sylph-like - I haven't heard that one for a while.   Wrinkles, scrawney arms and neck -  sylph-like???   I'm beginning to think that you need a full eye- check before you set out on your big trip!!!  Truly dreadful mistakes could be made. . . . .    J
    • Posted

My doctor ran some tests and referred me to a gastroenterologist for more tests.....and they all came back ok.  So I hope they knew what they were doing.

And weight loss and poor appetite are listed as possible Pred side effects.....so that's what I'm thinking are my issues.

I've learned from this forum that I have silent acid reflux and I'm trying to deal with that with diet and putting my white Pred pills in gel caps. I think the reflux adds to my lack of appetite and unsettle stomach. 

This is such a slow tedious process. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.