Weight Loss

Posted , 14 users are following.

Has anyone else experienced weight loss whilst taking Prednisolone?  Within 2 weeks of starting just over 6 weeks ago I lost half a stone then put 4lbs back on quite quickly however, when I weighed myself last week I was back to square one, having lost the 4lbs again.  I am eating normally and haven't changed my eating habits so I'm a bit baffled as I thought the indication was to gain weight on Prednisolone not  to lose it - not that I want to put on weight I might add!  Any comments gratefully received.

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It's hard for me to believe some of you have weight loss from the pred. I think I win the award for putting on weight. My first few GCA and PMR flares weren't too bad but during the last GCA flare with 60mg of pred I put on 40lbs. The first 30 lbs of weight came off fairly easily as the pred came down but then I had another flare and needed 80mg to control it. I am now almost 60 lbs up and can hardly breathe and walk. I was 5'4" at my tallest but my spine is the length of a 5'7" person (scoliosis). Now I've shrunk to 5'1 1/2" and the pulmonologist says nothing is wrong with my lungs there just isn't room for my lungs to expand and oxygen wouldn't help. I'm at 15mg of pred with MTX and Actemra and hope this all turns around soon. I have lots of back and leg pain which is not surprising. How do I exercise and breath to lose this weight as well as cutting back on what I'm eating? Next month is my  7 year GCA anniversery.  Whopee! Some days I'm feeling more positive. Not today.
  • Posted

I weighed 154lbs. a year ago and now weigh 127lbs. Totally unintentional. I am not clear why my weight is going down. Dx with Lyme about a year ago and treated. I just don't understand the drop...what is going on inside of me. I am on 35mg of prednisone...down to 30mg tomorrow. Temple pain, head pain increasing with decrease. To see Rheumatoligist on Monday. Had temporal artery biopsy...negative results.

• Posted

Some people lose considerable amounts of weight with pred though it is unusual. As long as they have ruled out the usual causes of unintentional weight loss.
    • Posted

Ooops - forgot to say: a negative TAB does not mean you don't have GCA. It only means they didn't find what they were looking for, the giant cells or other signs of inflammation. There are several reasons for that including what are called skip lesions - they are not spread evenly through the tissue and the bit they took may not have had any. Or it may not be in the temporal artery - it isn't always.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.