Weight loss after surgery

Posted , 29 users are following.

I have just recently been diagnosed and they are almost positive that its a tumor in my pituitary gland but an MRI will confirm or deny. I'm curious about anyone's weight loss experiences after the removal of the tumor? That has been the hardest thing for me to deal with truthfully.

2 likes, 96 replies

96 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I think the others have said it all really.One thing sometimes the tumour does not show up on an MRI in which case you may need a Petrosal Sinus Sampling, not the nicest thing but at least then they will be sure.  As to the weight, it will come off, I had a 45inch waist when I was diagnosed and having been a size 12 model this was very hard.  I lost a stone fairly quickly after the op and am now 4 years on even thinner than I was before!  Good luck and please keep in touch,
  • Posted

I am going to be realyy honest here because I wish I had known things before.  Your surgeon will tell you that 2 days after yopur op you will feel awful more awful than you can imagine and in my cse this was true.  You are after doing cold turkey from the excess Cortisol.  I had the added complication after in that although my GP realised that my continued headaches were due to a sinus infection that had spread to my  brain the consultant took a year to agree.  In the end I had another op and then another to clear my sinuses.  After things began to improve.  I amy have been one of the unlucky ones but I think we are all told to expect to feel poorly 2 days after the op.  It is all worth it in the end, the day when you discover you have a rib cage!  Take care.

• Posted

As the first diagnosed cyclic Cushing survivor, taking 9 years to diagnose me,I have to say that I'm one of the very unlucky ones. I went from 110 lbs to 276 lbs in 6 months and was,eating baby food,and throwing it up. The rapid weight gain was,overwhelming. I weigh about 215 lbs now, it's been 28 years since I had my first pituitary surgery. I had,a second pituitary surgery a year ago. Because of all my surgeries preop and post op every year since the first surgery, 16 hand surgeries, 4 hernia,surgeries, gall bladder removal, kidney removal, and the 2 brain surgeries. Just understand I'm the odd ball out, that most lose their weight and recover their shape and their life pretty rapidly.

• Posted

I was firstly diagnosed when I was 14, after my surgery I couldn't eat for days the weight literally dropped off me like someone cut it all off... I had the really bad moon face and the buffalo hump and when I came out of hospital 1-2weeks later it had gone I literally looked like a different person.

I'm starting to experience all my symptoms again at 19 years old.

If you ever need to talk or any help with anything you can always give me a message.. it can be hard trying to keep strong for everyone when your not feeling so strong on the inside.

• Posted

Just in case anyone was checking this forum, I wanted to let you know my surgery to remove the tumor is scheduled for July 12th!
    • Posted

Good Luck.  I reallyope all well for you and that postrgers not too bad. lase lus know how you get on.  It ialways good to have a new perspective on he surgery and post surgery for new peole on the site.  Will be thinking of you on 12th July.
  • Posted

My surgery went well! They think they got all of the tumor but I go in next month for another MRI to make sure. I've been feeling a little better however the steroids I'm on have been irritating my stomach. I'm actually down 16 pounds so far and my blood pressure is starting to regulate. However I also discovered a large cyst on my spleen that I have to have removed so even though I managed to have my surgery and recover fairly quickly I still will miss out on my final college volleyball season... Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers, I hope everything goes well for you (:

• Posted

So glad that have had your surgery and have come out well.  Brilliant.  I did say that the weight would come off and I'm glad that it has.  Bad news about your spleen.  I found that often whilst being examined for one thing another would crop up.  I do hope that things will carry on improving and thanks for letting us know.

• Posted

I just diagnosed myself with Cushings and after multiple test it's finally confirmed. I have an appt with neurosurgeon in a week and am very excited. I'm really concerned about the trunkal obesity it is starting to hurt when I eat because my body frame is not able to hold weight. I look like I'm about 6mon pregnant. How long is it gonna take to lose stomach fat? 

• Posted

Hi,  So glad that you have finally got an answer.  I lost my weight fairly quickly at first and then gradually so that I am now back to my normal size.  It is different with every patient though.  Please let us know how you get on.  Good Luck.
  • Posted

Hi

It really depends on how long it took you to get diagnosed, and after your pituitary surgery if you need steroid replacements or other hormone supplements. Some people lose the weight pretty fast and others not so fast or not at all. Everyone of us Cushings patients are totally different..we all have different symptoms, different test results, and as the first cyclic cushings patient ever diagnosed nothing fits into a set pattern with Cushings. Im glad you got diagnosed and are getting in to a neurosurgeon to get the tumor out. One bit of advice..always..have a MRI with dye every year and never fail to have it done.

• Posted

Hi,  I have been on Steroids since my op and it does not affect my weight at all so no worries!
    • Posted

Directly post op how will I be feeling??? And did your vision get any worse?? 
    • Posted

No my vision did not get any worse, but others may have different feelings on this.  Truthfully, as we try to be on here. your surgeon should warn you that 2 days after surgery you will feel absolutely awful and trust me that is true.  It is the coming down off too much Cortisol, but you will feel better day by day.  I hope that you understand that we just want to help.  I only wish this forum had been here when I had my op.  I started it after about a year after.  You are on the way to getting so much better so chin up. Take care and we are here for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.