Weight loss after surgery

Posted , 29 users are following.

I have just recently been diagnosed and they are almost positive that its a tumor in my pituitary gland but an MRI will confirm or deny. I'm curious about anyone's weight loss experiences after the removal of the tumor? That has been the hardest thing for me to deal with truthfully.

2 likes, 96 replies

96 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Glad to have found this discussion. I've just been diagnosed after about a year of testing and trying to prove what I was going through was not menopause. My tumour size is about 1.2cm so on the larger size. I'm curious about the moo facecloth. When the weight comes off will my face go back to normal?

• Posted

Hi We are glad you have found us too.  We all have different symptoms, another reason why Cushings is so hard to diagnose.  I myself did not have a very moon face but certainly put on a lot of weight.  At the time of  my diagnosis I had a 45" waist!  After surgery you should lose some weight quite quickly and dramatically and then gradually the rest of the weight will come off too.  What moon face I did have also went very quickly so no worries there. Well done for getting a diagnosis, you have actually been quite "lucky" that it only took a year.  Anyway keep in touch and let us know how things go.  I am sure some of the others will reply too.

• Posted

I too had a 1 cm pituitary tumor removed 4 months ago (June 21st) Im 53 years old. I gained 60 pounds and Ive lost 46 of that in my 4 months recovering. Im still taking a steroid so I think that is keeping me from losing faster. I had all the physical symptoms and they are all going away. So exciting. Always here for you. This is a great site so ask questions.
  • Posted

Thank you so much. I just had the surgery 3 weeks ago. I am on the steroid 30mg per day. I have cheekbones again but still a square moon faced jaw line. The biggest relief has been being able to breath without my ribs hurting. I am still very tired and that has surprised me. I'm normally the energizer bunny and thought I'd bounce back with faster energy even though I was warned I would not. I gained about 45lbs prior to surgery. I work in Television and that was devastating to have that happen with everyone watching and judging me. People have been very supportive since I became public with my Disease. I'm going back to work hopefully the beginning of Feb. I'd like to feel a little more energy before I do. 

My follow up is Jan 24. I guess they will test all my levels then. Right now I am only doing blood work weekly to watch my sodium. They believe my pituitary will regain its function. 

Something I have not seen mentioned on here is loss of smell after surgery. I have total loss of smell. I can taste things but not the same. I'm told it will most likely come back. Has anyone else experienced this and how long did it take to come back?

Thank you all for the candid words and advice. 

Happy New Year my Cushy friends 

• Posted

My sense of taste and smell came back after about 4 months.  You sounds as if you are doing well but perhaps a bit over expectant.  Your body will take time to recover.  I had a 45" waist before my diagnosis and having been a model this was devastating for me.  I am now back to the size I was before.  It must be hard working in TV as I remember from my TV experiences the camera puts on pounds anyway.  Good luck for the new year and keep us up to date as it helps us with other Cushies.

• Posted

Hi Renee 

I had my surgery 10/25 I'm taking hydrocortisone 20mg daily. Food just does not taste the same the roof of my mouth around front teeth is still numb and I still have weakness as I did before. I'm losing weight but slowly. It's hard to workout when my body aches.

• Posted

I would love if others would explain what their muscle aches are like. Is it whole body or certain areas? How long did they last? Im 3 months of entire body aches. They are bad. Shoulders the worst. I look like im 100 years old when i get up to stand. Starting to think im not normal and this will never end.
    • Posted

Hi Patty,  I am a few years down the line now but I still remember all the aches and pains I had, like you mainly the shoulders but also in my legs.  I felt like I had done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson.  It will get better.  Your body just has to recover from the excess of Cortisol and regain its own level.  Lets hope the new year will bring good health to you all.
    • Posted

Hi Patty, I had my surgery done on 12/4/17 and my aches and pains have changed. Now it’s mostly my legs and feet and neck. It feels like a truck has hit me. Also my feet and ankles are swelling which this did not occur after surgery. After surgery I was on 60 mg of hydrocortisone for two weeks then down to 30 and now on 5 mg of prednisone which I just started today.  I hope the aches and pains will get better soon. I also feel like I am 100 years old especially when getting up from the couch or a chair. As for the weight loss I really have not seen much since surgery. I hope that changes soon since I did gain a total of 50 pounds.  The last 30 rather quickly and all in the stomach area which I didn’t have before.  I hope someone can share on this as I have my days that I am frustrated and want to feel normal again.  Looking forward to hear from you guys. The support is greatly appreciated. 😊

• Posted

Leslie, The swelling around my ankles and feet occurred a month or two after my surgery too. It lasted a few weeks and then just dissapeared. I noticed around 2 months the weight started dropping off.I have a weight loss of 60 pounds. I put on about 70. I like the way I look so I'm not going to stress over losing the last 10. Im on Cortef. Down to 5mg. Im going to attempt to wean myself off in next month. I never cut more than a quarter at a time through this entire process. I was scared and it just seemed right for my body. Only had to go up once due to not feeling well. The body aches are tough. Hang in there. You seem to be making good progress. Someone suggested Magnesium Glycinate to help relax muscles. Bought some today and going to try at night. Funny thing is Leslie I never thought I would be in a position to share and look at me, wow! Patience (trust me). I tell my family every day, "I'm on the struggle bus". We laugh. Right now we are on it together. Your not alone.

• Posted

Hi Leslie so glad that you have had your surgery at last.  Give it time.  As you can see it is a slow process but will soon be noticeable.  The weight loss continues but maybe slower.  The aches and pains will ease as well.  I am still on 20 mg Cortisone a day so you must be doing really well.  Your body will soon feel better.  Take your time and as you can see from Patty it will get better and then you can be telling people that on here!
  • Posted

Hello. My surgery was six months ago. My smell and taste come back around 3 or 4 months. From your post you are doing very well. Happy for you.
  • Posted

hi

actually i have been diagnosed with pitutary microadenoma that cause cushing sympoms

i want to know how long it will take to lose my weight ? specially if i will do hard diet

• Posted

Hi 

I recently had the surgery too on 10/25/2017 and so fat I have lost 20 lbs and am continuously losing. At first I thought it was a slow pace but u will recognize ur appetite is changing and the lbs will start drooling off.

• Posted

hi

thanks for your reply ...

but I want to know if the weight loss will be in month as I will be on diet plan that depend on low calories .. not more 500 calories/day ... it will be in breakfast one boiled egg and cucumber

and the lunch it will be the same of breakfast ... there is no dinner

• Posted

Hi I lost a stone in the first few weeks then it gradually comes off.  It is not a diet you need it is just giving your body a chance to recover from the OD of Cortisol.  Be patient. You will soon be back to normal!

• Posted

Please do not do any fad diets.  They will do you more harm than good, just let your body tell you when to eat.  I found that some of the things I had liked seemed to have changed tast but now I have a sensible way of eating that helps me keep my weight normal.  Please just let your body recover.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.