Weight Loss Meds

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ive gained about 40lbs after being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism/Graves' disease. After being on steroids for a considerable amount of time it's as if it's impossible to lose weight. I'm thinking about taking weight loss meds(phentermine or Qysemia). Has any one taken these meds while taking  methimazole? Are they safe for people with hyperthyroidism?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Michelle

I don't think you should be taking phentermine if your hyper!! I hear what you're saying and I know what it's like to have put on weight AND having graves so I know how you're feeling! You going to try block and replace or RAI - I've just had RAI after failed B&R and am getting back to normal (slowly!) but feel pretty good. I'm not a doctor but I think Phentermine would be bad for you!! Good luck n

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

As as a person who is going through exactly the same as you , as in hyper, been on steroids, and on carbimazole, feel like I'm qualified enough to say, as deeply upsetting as it is to be that much bigger than one used to or want and no amount of exercise or eating well seems to work, I don't think it's wise to start taking more tablets for weight loss, which affects metabolism (which is what thyroid affects). If you really want to at least consult doctor, but I'm interested in people's opinion, as any advice will be greatly received or update here how you get on?

• Posted

Hello Michele:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA. I have Hashimoto's since 1987, which is a form of Hypothyroidism but I know both sides well enough. 

I would so  DO NOT TAKE,  Phentermine or Qysemia as these meds can raise the heart rate and in Hyperthyroid (Graves) it can cause a cardiac arrest.

Steriods cause weight gain.  Once off of them, the weight will come off.  People with Hyperthyroidism should not exercise unless a doctor tells you to. Too much hormone bothers the heart.

Symptoms of uncontrolled Hyperthyroidism are, a high pulse and arrythmias can occur or palpitaions even Afib which is very serious.

Watch prtion size and diet.  Drink water before eating to fill up the stomach and you may need a reduction of the dose of Methimazole.  Ask your doctor.

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

I know that I shouldn't take phony ermine but I'm desperate. I have never been this overweight in my life and I very very depressed. I have no clothes to wear. I only go to work and sit home because I'm too embarrassed to leave the house. I either take some type of diet aid to help or live in this box that I find myself in. My quality of life is non existent and I don't know how much more I can take before I go off the deep end.
    • Posted

Hello Michelle:

I know about weight gain. I have been ill since 1987.  Steriods can place weight on fast and you can gain it very qucikly.  So you should stop that as as soon as possible.

Hold your head high, weight gain is a symptom of illness and not of over-eating and people that know you can understand that.  I am concerned about your heart and keeping that in good shape.

I once wanted diet pills and my doctor said NO, and even though I am Hypothyroid it is so dangerous to your heart and Blood pressure.  Who wants to be 6 feet under?  If your heart goes, nothing else matters!

Ask the doctor for a reduced dos e of Methimazole and maybe it will allow the thyroid to help you burn more  & help the metabolism out, if you reduce that dose by a bit.

So please ask the doctor about that.

Any questions just ask, we all want you to be healthy.

Shelly

• Posted

Kinda hard holding your head up when you constantly hear people whispering "she's gotten really big" I'm 4 sizes bigger than I was last year. I don't go to church anymore. I don't attend my sons football games anymore. I hide in my home. If this is what my life is going to be like it doesn't really matter if I'm 5 feet under. I already feel dead. I'm sorry but I have to do something. When I visit my endocrinologist I complain about my weight and how depressed I am and his only response is" I know it sucks" I don't think he knows how seriously depressed I am. There has to be some solution for weight loss. Dieting and exercise doesn't work for me.
    • Posted

Hello Michelle:

You are a worthy person, and weight gain or weight loss is not to be judged. Shallow people will do that.

I know how you feel as I am big also, I do what I can to lose weight and by diet and mild walking I lost 32 pounds.  However Hyper can cause serious heart & blood pressure  issues and being dead or having a stroke is not a good outcome.

I RECOMMEND ASKING YOUR DOCTOR TO TAKE YOU OFF OF STERIODS.  They cause weight very fast. They are dangerous in long term use as they also weaken bones!

Do take care of the thyroid and believe and have hope for a better future.  You are a good person, you are ill, do not hide!

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I have an appt with my doctor in a few days I will discuss my situation. Thank You
    • Posted

Hello Michelle

A safer alternative would be an antidepressent some of them have a side effect to appetite control and are not diet drugs.  Of course ask you doctor, but Prozac, Zoloft have been known to help people with weight loss.  They were designed for Depression and not for weight loss.

Of course your doctor would have to agree, but they do not cause heart problems like diet pills do. They can make you a bit sleepy in the first few days.

Be well, keep us posted on how you do,

Shelly

• Posted

I would definitely not take the weight loss drugs.  I believe it is the steroids that are causing the weight gain.  Were you taking them for Graves eye disease?  The best way to lose weight and get the eye disease in check is to normalize your thyroid antibodies and thyroid lab tests.  I have been able to do this by taking additional supplements along with a low dose of methimazole which helped lower my thyroid labs and normalize my antibodies.  I took Regular L-Carnitine 3,000 mg, vitamin D 1,000 IU daily and Magnesium 200 mg along with Omega 3 and curcumin for inflammation.  I later added Acetyl-L-Carnitine and this rapidly raised my TSH so anyone who wants to try this needs to really watch their labs closely and adjust the dosage of Acetyl and/or Methimazole if they go this route.  I and others have been able to avoid RAI or surgery by doing this and I feel fairly normal.
    • Posted

I'm not on the steroids anymore but can't seem to lose the weight. Taking the diet supplement cannot possibly make me any more miserable than what I already am. I have no life. If your quality of life sucks what's the point of being here. Severe depression.....
    • Posted

Are you on Methimazole or Carbimazole?  If so, what dose are you on?  If you are on a low dose and are no longer on the steroids, then eating a high protein, low carbohydrate diet should help with the weight loss along with drinking plenty of water. 
    • Posted

I'm on 5mg of methimazole. I've tried the high protein low card diet. I also drink water all day.. Nothing seems to be working. I'm 46 which makes it even harder to lose the weight.
    • Posted

What were your last thyroid lab test results?   TSH and Free T3 and Free T4?
    • Posted

Hi Michelle60449

I can empathise with you completely. Has anyone checked your cortisol levels at all? these are done to exclude adrenal stress/fatigue.

Just a thought.

Take care. you can come through this but you really ned to see a  good dr who understands about the thyroid and the effects of adrenal stress on the thyroid.

• Posted

I havent had my cortisol levels checked. I go for my checkup in a few days and will mention this to my doctor.

Thank You

• Posted

I cant remember the results of my last lab work. I go for my checkup in a few days and will post when I find out the results.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.