Weight Loss Meds

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ive gained about 40lbs after being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism/Graves' disease. After being on steroids for a considerable amount of time it's as if it's impossible to lose weight. I'm thinking about taking weight loss meds(phentermine or Qysemia). Has any one taken these meds while taking  methimazole? Are they safe for people with hyperthyroidism?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Correction :  It should read DO NOT TAKE Phentermine and Qysemia as it can cause heart problems.

Sorry for my typing skills.

Shelly

• Posted

I was in the same bought.  First how much methimazole are you taking?  When i  ussually get overdose with Methimazole thats when I blow up.  Thankfully after a year Im stable at 5mg every other day.  Now i just figured out that you need portion control.  I used to eat 1200cal per day with gym time and could never lose weight.  Until I started listing all the food i eat on my fitness pal.  I got down to damn 700cal-900cal per day of food to eat thats when i started losing weight, .2-.5lbs per week.  I thought about why not go off on my meds to lose this darn weight that's like taking one of those weighloss meds but I saw my myself when I was first diagnosed.  I was skinny buy not healthy skinny.  My belly sag a bit because I lose too much weight and it doens't look good.  Now Im working out and portion and goal is a steady 2.-.5lbs loss per week is my goal so I my skin wont sag and also Im building muscle.  So the best approach I could advise you is keep up with the  bloodwork to make sure youre good on your methimazole dose, portion control, gym(strength training and cardio coombo), try not to eat iodized salts from fast foods.  If you run into problems just hit us up again.  
    • Posted

The problem with fitting in exercise is that I'm normally so exhausted after a day at work I dont have the energry to even drive home some days. I try to push myself to keep moving but its very hard. I'm going to write down everything I eat and user portion control. I pray this helps.

Thanks for the advice.

• Posted

Ok so I had to look for this post and give you an update.  I was eating like a bird for a while and excercising like crazy. alternate cardio and strength training throughout the week.  The outcome would be .2 lbs per week lost for a good week.  It has been very stressfull losing weight.  2 weeks ago I started L carnitine by Twinlabs 250mg everyday.  And so far I've lost a decent weight and eating the regular calorie intake for my weight I have lost a good amount of weight.    Also it didn't interfere as much on my TSH level. Im still stable 2.0 +- .15.... Try taking L-carnitine and give me an update.  Prior taking it it I took a Carnitine Blood Test to check if im defficient of it.  Total and Free are normal but my ester is low(something to do with brain) but my endo and dr don't want to get involved in it.  I just tried the lowest dose of L-carnitine which 250mg.  I also did try acetyl L carnitine but that one is really potent.  I don't recommend it.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.