weightloss with hypothyroidism is this a holy grail???

Posted , 9 users are following.

Can this be chieved and how??? Am increasing the excercise and being careful eating so much fruit im resembling a pear lol. How has anyone else managed this. Thanks

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, im in the same position. Doing three exercise classes and going for two hour long swims each week, as well as walking. I cannot budge an inch. It is really getting me down.
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, you can lose weight with Thyroid but not with exercise alone. i started slimming world in February and have lost a stone so far, i also walk 10,000 steps a day. its hard work but it will come off. i am going to lose another stone by July. Most mornings i am shattered as soon as i get up , and i struggle with Muscle aches etc due to the thyroid, but im sure being overweight makes these things worse . A two mile walk every morning wakes me up smile
    • Posted

I hate SW have been before and they were really unsupportive. Had an eating disorder in the past so refuse to get obsessed with it all again. Like you the aches are terrible and ive had an l5 disc op so have to be careful.Just eating well as in fruit veg,watching carbs and drinking water .
  • Posted

TRY VIT D FOR ACHES AND PAINS HELPED ME
    • Posted

Hi Christine does it work well?? am only taking fishoil am very new to all this and trying to get it under control. Have endo appt in july
    • Posted

Hi Michelle

For me its trial & error at the moment and reading other replies I should add Vit K2.  I have had my thyroid removed and I am still trying to feel "normal" taking on board all the help and can say I am feeling better.

Christine

• Posted

It is possible to lose weight but being optimally medicated helps a lot. Your T3 needs to be in the upper quadrant of whatever range the lab uses. A lot of research has been done on thyroid/weight loss and theres an agreement that cutting carbs is without a doubt most effective. (lol I didnt say it was easy) Fruit isnt carb free so increasing your intake isnt necessarily good sad
  • Posted

as a postscript can I say that anyone taking vit D3 should take vit K2. Vit D releases the calcium from your food. Without sufficient K2 it can send the calcium anywhere. K2 sends it to your bones smile

• Posted

Unfortunately, if you are not on the right type and amount of thyroid hormones, the symptoms of an under active thyroid, including weight gain, will not be controlled. Your metabolism just slows down. 
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, the method is a bit drastic, but I've achieved it - by becoming milk intolerant and histamine intolerant. No snacks, sweets, biscuits, puddings, cake, ice cream, chocolate, bread, fruit, or alcohol! The only thing I can drink is water. Porridge with oat milk in morning, meat & fresh vegetables for dinner, home made vegetable soup with home made chicken stock as a base for tea. Not exactly a balanced diet!

However, I only developed intolerances 12 months ago, prior to that I found weighing myself every morning and writing it down helpful. This way if I went up I could spot it early and eat less the next day. I went swimming 2-3 times a week (which had the benefits of feel good factor and keeping my knees working - muscle fatigue is one of my main thyroid symptoms). Also key was ignoring TSH and keeping at the top end of the range for T4. The other thing was persistence and not beating myself up too much if I was a bit 'naughty' and ate something nice. I just treated each day as a new day in which to have another go at losing weight. On average I've lost a pound a month, which doesn't sound much, but over two and a half years it has added up to 30 pounds. Hopefully there are some ideas that can help you in this rambling reply. Keep trying and don't give up. Good luck!

• Posted

It is hard to lose the weight when you have hypothyroidism.  I have tried just walking and I lost 30 pounds.  I need to lose more but I am stuck.  However, I have not put the weight back on, and I also have Diabetes which is a whammy. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.