weightloss with hypothyroidism is this a holy grail???

Posted , 9 users are following.

Can this be chieved and how??? Am increasing the excercise and being careful eating so much fruit im resembling a pear lol. How has anyone else managed this. Thanks

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Michelle,i have just been diagnosed with under active thyroid but i have been lucky as i was diagnosed quite quickly.I am a very active mum of 47yrs and a size 10.I didnt notice much weight gain but it was the shape of my body that changed being only 5ft 2 it doesnt take much to make a difference to your body.I power walk with my dog every day and watch what i eat but its not easy as some days the last thing i want to do is to do any exercise but i make myself .....good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, I managed to keep my weight under control for years but then noticed it was gradually starting to creep back on again so I started the Michael,Moseley 5:2 diet and I have lost 12kg. I only wanted to lose 7kg but it was so easy I just kept going! My thyroid is really playing up at present and I think I have put on about 500g. I weigh every day just to keep an eye on things. 
  • Posted

I too weigh myself very day. With an under active thyroid, I have found it so easy to put weight on and sob difficult to lose, that it is best if I find out straight away if it's going up and then make adjustments to my diet. Otherwise I can put half a stone on in a week.
    • Posted

I understand that Barbara! I have also found wheat products put weight on me straight away. There is apparently a link between hypothyroidism and coeliac. I'm not coeliac but have an intolerance to wheat. I say wheat because that's the  One I ve noticed, could be other grains as well. Oats can cause me to bloat also. 
    • Posted

Same here, I've also become wheat intolerant In the last 6 months. Followed by milk intolerance and histamine intolerance. You might want to consider limiting milk (but if it's ok with other medical conditions you've got, take calcium tablet - also need magnesium and vit D for calcium to be metabolized properly.
    • Posted

I have been thinking about milk lately. I don't like almond milk much and thought oat milk might not be the best because oats cause bloating in me. I don't know if milk is a no no when you have hypothyroid - do you? 
    • Posted

Other people have said it's best to limit milk. Have you tried rice milk? Or goats milk? (Morrisons sell fresh goats milk, lots of supermarkets sell long life). Are oats a problem raw or cooked? Or both? Or is it what you are eating with them? Look up daily mail article on histamine intolerance. If that rings warning bells, look up histamine intolerance on website allergy UK - also good for other allergies and intolerances.
    • Posted

I have a reaction with all milks, including almond, rice, goats and soya. In fact i have a reaction with all soya, which is a bit of a problem as a lot of the freefrom products contain soya. I itch, get hives, excema, diarrhoea, nausea, bloating and stomach cramps when I eat anything on the histamine list.
    • Posted

I also get swollen stiff fingers.
    • Posted

It's manageable as long as i avoid the foods that are a problem. I've just found out that one of the brands of levothyroxine makes me itch more than the others. On the plus side - I am losing weight!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.