Weird

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am taking Campral for cravings...and it is weird. 

I don't think about drinking.

​An event happened that would usually send my thoughts immediately to drinking...and that DID happen but my thoughts didn't stay there...I went immediately into a panic attack. 

I'm still having a panic attack (over a1/2 hour) and usually when they last that long and are this strong...I think there is nothing that will hold me back from drinking. 

But I am not thinking of drinking...weird.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

nobody is sleeping in the UK?? replies before 4am?? going back to bed now after a cup of the but quickly wanted to congratulate Missy for her new state of mind...YOU CAN DO IT....for certain! Robin
    • Posted

You were up, too, as you couldn't have seen the posts if you were asleep, Robin.

Many thanks for all your messages of encouragement to me.

I imagine we're all going to be fast asleep in half an hour.

Love Tess.

• Posted

Did you have to go abstinent for them to give it you? Any side effects? How did you persuade them to prescribe it to you? Has it completely stopped your drinking cos don't fancy it? X
    • Posted

Hi emma...yes, they do want abstinence..but I don't know how long.  I don't think it is long because when my GP freely gave them to me....I was in her office drunk and she told me not to drink the next day and to start the Campral.

Which I did not do....I ended in hospital (alcohol related) and ended taking the Campral a week later.  In the hospital I kept asking them to start me on the drug so that I would know how it affected me...they never did.

I got home and read about it on line and read that abstinence is required.  However, these are tablets that you can drink on....not suggested...but just saying I wouldn't die if I drank on them....and my GP is excellent and her instruction was to take them even thou she knew I was intoxicated the day I saw her.

US is different...Campral is not an addictive pill....so if its going to help us stay off something that is (alcohol)....the Drs here are ALL FOR IT.

• Posted

Hi misssy

i will try and take over from RHGB re campral.

yes after about a week of taking it, it is weird, you suddenly stop thinking about alcohol. As you quite rightly say, certain trigger factors no longer have the desire to make you drink.

youre doing great, take care and love to you xx

• Posted

Thanks vickylou....Now I just need to SLEEP.....I am only sleeping 4 hours a night...and I am going mad...my day is too busy today to be tired....I have outpatient and then a lung scan...and then we have to go to my mothers to do mulch!

Hope things are going well for you....are you taking Campral?

• Posted

Good for you Missy, so pleased for you
    • Posted

h1954....thank you...your always there for support!
  • Posted

Hi Missy2.

I am following your thread with interest. I am day 8 AF. I did a Home detox with alcohol support group and the Gps support. 5 days of sliding scale diazipam.

I was given the go ahead yesterday from the Alchohol support Group for my GP to prescribe Acamprosate,

I am just now waiting for her to call back.

• Posted

Hi...I'm not saying it is a miracle drug....I'm still very leary of it...meaning I'm not positive it is doing anything....because I DID crave alcohol when I was stressing....but it was quick....

The weird thing thou...I thought a beer looked gross on TV..lol

I said to the TV....Whatever - keep it!  That is out of the ordinary for me....typically while in early recovery I used to see alcohol commercials and feel sorry for myself that I couldn't drink like everyone else.  So that is different.

The real test will be after any encounters with one of my sons....they are huge triggers....

The only side effect I have experienced is very bad gas....but I noticed yesterday I did not have that effect...so maybe all side effects pass like with other drugs.

Try it...It can't hurt and its not like Antabuse...you don't get sick on it if you take it AND good luck!

• Posted

Hi misssy. Glad you are back on the sober bus again. Hope to be with you again soon. Lots of love to you xx
    • Posted

Hi paper....thank you and xo.

I am glad to see you posting again.

You will get here because you keep trying...I hope to STAY here this time. You are so much like me and Campral is working for me....hopefully if you can detox....you may want to try it.....I know it is difficult apparantely to get it in the UK....but your tough and your not giving up....SO.....I know you would get it.

I don't know why the H*LL I am waking every morning at 6:30...but I hate it...I mean like nothing is even open (no stores, etc)...I don't know why I don't stay in bed and force myself back to sleep!  So aggrivating. 

Keep up trying K?

• Posted

And you keep up with the Campral. I'm so pleased after such a long time of telling people that it works, it really helps and it has no side effects, that somebody else is taking it and finding it useful. I honestly started to believe that people thought I was making it up, as I was the only one.
    • Posted

I typically don't like medication...and have not believed in it forever.

However, I have become desperate....and willing to try ANYTHING.

I did not ASK for Campral.  My last PCP visit I was DRUNK.....they called my house and asked my b/f to bring me there...even drunk.  Turned out...I was swearing at everyone there....and the med tech said I was sh*t faced.  

I didn't even know I had the prescription until the next day and that the Dr gave it to me and told me to try not to drink the next day and take this drug.  I ended going in hospital and never taking the drug.  When I came home...my b/f really persuaded me to TRY it....and I like my new DR...and for some reason I respect her...lol....so I tried it.

And I do believe it is working for me....I'm totally SURPRISED.

I'm not liking all the DRUGS I am on right now...although there are not that many...but the ones I take some need to be taken 3x a day...like Campral....so I feel like I'm popping pills all the time...I'm not thrilled...but I am thrilled that Campral IS seemingly WORKING.

• Posted

Well, I'm hoping that since I have repeatedly said it works and that now you are saying that it seems to work, that some other people may just give it a chance and try it.
    • Posted

I've explained TSM to my husband and he simply wasn't interested. I said to him that I wanted to discuss something important with him, so he listened, then said NO WAY.

Well, at least I've tried.

• Posted

That's a shame. If I lived closer I'd offer to pop round and see if I could talk some sense into him, from someone who likes his beer aswell.

But having read your posts for a few weeks now, I don't think he would be very receptive to that.

It must be difficult as a 'bystander' to just watch and I'm at a bit of a loss what to say.

• Posted

It sounds like Campral would be the better route for him anyway, given the state of his liver.

Just ran across paper that looks into how Campral works, google 

Acamprosate Produces Its Anti-Relapse Effects Via Calcium

Misssy, how many days had you been dry before starting the Campral? 

• Posted

That is very kind of RHGB. Just a suggestion, but know I'm being a bit cheeky here, would he listen to RHGB or someone like him, that has been to hell and back through alcohol? May be a phone call and print out some of his and others posts on here. Take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.