Weird head feelings and perimenopause

Posted , 58 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 40 y/o who has actually been in perimenopause for over a year now. It started at 39 when I missed a period one month, then had a very heavy period the following month and from then on the irregular periods and symptoms all began. I get the hot flushes often where my face only becomes very hot and my cheeks bright red. These can last for hours when they happen. But most recently I've been having these weird head sensations, it's very hard to describe. I feel off balance, but not dizzy per se. The back of my head feels tight and sometimes like pins and needles. No headaches or pain at all. Just an off balance pressure like feeling. Almost like my head isn't sending the signals to my body fast enough kind of off balance. Hope that makes sense. Anyone else experience this? And I can have this feeling last all day long without subsiding at all. Also, I've noticed I can actually feel my heart beating when I lay down. It beats very hard, not fast. Is this normal? I have been to Dr who finds no other causes but says perimenopause symptoms can very and come and go as our hormones fluctuate all the time. Can't help but be scared when I feel like I'm going to fall over or my heart is going to explode. Any help out they?

10 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

yes to both head stuff for 4 years now and heart races off and on all the time its scary and tiring hang in there

• Edited

Wow ,yes me to.

Who would think menopause can feel like an invasion .

I always used to laugh at my poor mum when she quietly complained of simptoms of menopause.

I have the tightness at back of my head tingling to.

saw my doctor she was patient and kind did blood tests for loads of stuff they were all fine she came to conclusion menopause it all made sense then!

why dont we get told ?It can be very scary .

What helps me is eating alot of root veg seems to ground me avoiding coffee and sugar .

Also doing a breathing meditation where you breath in deeply then hold the breath breathly at the heart chakra then breath out deeply.

It really helps bring my feelings down to my heart and take away that heady feeling.

It does really test me at times when it comes over me I literally have to ground myself .

I also find its worse when I use my iphone ect so mainly I use a basic phone lol

and just use i[phone for whatsapp

• Edited

everyday 24/7 with the head stuff and yea to feeling my heartbeat as well the hot face drives me nuts last hours and days sometimes i pray everyday it never stops going on five years of the head stuff but Peri for almost 10 years

• Posted

wow Pamela thats awful.

Have you tried meditation?

I find it worse at night .

• Posted

Hi Pamela

Just wondering how your getting on with the head stuff as i have seen from your posts that you suffer with this symptom quite a lot. I have it every day all day and it is draining me I feel so anxious all the time. Have you found anything that helped with the dizziness.

• Edited

its been a long hard road ive found nothing to help i still struggle everyday all day long, its basically taken my life from me i dont drive no more ive became distance from everyone nobody really gets how much i struggle. its with me 24/7 gets worse two weeks out of the month on cycle and ovulation week. ive found nothing that helps alot of praying and crying daily. its like the groundhogs day over and over again.im sorry you are dealing with this symptom i dont wish this on anyone.

• Edited

I am sorry to hear that you are still suffering I know that anxiety makes it so much worse but it is very hard not to worry when we feel like this. I try to tell myself to stay calm and that it will pass but sometimes its there all the time and then come the palpitations because i panic that it might be something more serious than hormones. I wish you good days soon.

• Edited

I can relate. What you describe happens to me. I keep trying to explain it isn't exactly dizziness but that weird feeling of dissociated body ends. It is very odd and hard to describe. I am sorry you are going through this. I am 39, and believe peri started around 35. Periods still on the clock but feel weird and sometimes last longer. I don't know what to say....but, I am sad that so many women go through this craziness.

• Posted

Yes this is me 100! doctors don't have a clue.

I'm glad I'm not alone. I am not crazy

after all.

• Edited

Yes! I'm going to be 48 soon, but for the last few months I've noticed this woozy, off-balance feeling. Actually as I type this I'm experiencing it! There have been times I have gone to run an errand and had to turn the car around and go home because I started feeling awful. I am still getting periods every month but I notice about a week after my period ends this lightheaded, off balance feeling hits me. Sometimes my hands get a tingly feeling too. I went and had CBC lab work done which was normal, so now my doctor is sending me for more blood work, including checking my hormone levels. She prescribed Prozac for me to take 2 weeks every month leading up to my period but I haven't started those yet. She is thinking some of these symptoms may be related to PMDD but who knows. I hate feeling like this. I did start taking a multivitamin and increased my water intake. I love walking as a form of exercise, but some days I set out for a walk and have to turn around as I feel like my legs are wobbly. Last night I felt great, went for my walk and today I couldn't do it 😦 Reading others posts on this forum can be helpful and make me feel like I'm not alone!

• Edited

Hello everyone.... I have had lightheadedness on and off about 25 out of 30 days a month for the last six months. I have went to several doctors and many tests to try to figure out what's wrong with me. no one knows. I have asked several women if they had lightheadedness or dizziness during menopause none of them have. but then I look on here and there's a lot of people that have it. I have tried to write down when it's worse and when it isn't there's no Rhyme or Reason to it it comes and goes good days bad days all day only in the evenings. it is truly driving me crazy cuz I can't get rid of it it's very aggravating. I just want it 2 Go away. I am 49 years old and have a very heavy period, no hot flashes... So I'm sure I'm perimenopausal. can someone please tell me will hormones pills help this? or will it ever go away? I AM GOING CRAZY AND I HATE THIS LIGHTHEADEDNESS... LIFE SUCKS GETTN OLD!

• Posted

Hi, you are not alone. I just started feeling like this and I don't like it at all. My sleep pattern has changed I wake up at night and hard to fall back to sleep....ugh! I'm 48 December I'll be 49 and I've been in perimenopause for about 4 years now but feels like longer lol. I love this forum it really helps me get through my symptoms and I know i'm not alone with with what we are going through. I try not to get my self worried about things hard to do tho. Guess we just have to take it one day at a time and know it too shall pass.

Take care

• Posted

Hi .

I get the weird feelings in my head, like i am out of sync with my body. I feel off balance an tingling feelings. keep thinking i am having a stroke or something more serious.

It is exhausting as it sends me into a panic attack.

Hope you are ok.

• Posted

This is me too! Thought I was losing the plot. Peri 5 years at 55yrs and every 2 or 3 months something new and occasionally dropping a symptom for it to return months later

• Edited

hi.. I know it’s been a while since your post and hopefully you’re feeling much better. I will be 48 next month and I still have a period every month randomly it’ll come twice a month , this month I started spotting and I’ve had this weird tingly hot feeling in my head almost every day I feel nauseous , dizzy.. I have so much anxiety my hands are cold . I’m starting to freak out that I may have something else . was that feeling in your head similar? at first I had like a headache for like three days finally went away and then I get random tingly hot sensations in my head throughout the day. I’m literally in panic stage. could this be related to pre-menopause? and not to mention my sweaty armpits that no deodorant can help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.