Weird head feelings and perimenopause

Posted , 58 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 40 y/o who has actually been in perimenopause for over a year now. It started at 39 when I missed a period one month, then had a very heavy period the following month and from then on the irregular periods and symptoms all began. I get the hot flushes often where my face only becomes very hot and my cheeks bright red. These can last for hours when they happen. But most recently I've been having these weird head sensations, it's very hard to describe. I feel off balance, but not dizzy per se. The back of my head feels tight and sometimes like pins and needles. No headaches or pain at all. Just an off balance pressure like feeling. Almost like my head isn't sending the signals to my body fast enough kind of off balance. Hope that makes sense. Anyone else experience this? And I can have this feeling last all day long without subsiding at all. Also, I've noticed I can actually feel my heart beating when I lay down. It beats very hard, not fast. Is this normal? I have been to Dr who finds no other causes but says perimenopause symptoms can very and come and go as our hormones fluctuate all the time. Can't help but be scared when I feel like I'm going to fall over or my heart is going to explode. Any help out they?

10 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

HI! I understand your distress and can relate. I routinely have the sensation of being off kilter and that my body is responding a little slowly to the signals my brain is sending it. It is unsettling I also get weird sensations in my head and pressure at the back of my head mostly, but sometimes I get pressure in my head all over. It's like the muscles in my head aren't quite happy. And I often hear my heartbeat in my ears when i lie down- it's especially loud in my right ear. My doctor chalks it all up to fluctuating hormones. It's hard, but you're not alone!

• Edited

I was having hot flushes but just my face /cheeks my face would feel like it was on fire and would last hours, (when you get one next time get 2 flannels or anything really, run it under cold tap and then squeeze out excess water and place them on both cheeks,

When I would get them (I still do), I feel off balance and slight nausea with head pain

If we think about it having our cheeks flush for hours it's pumping blood faster so I think it's obviously gonna make us feel weird,

I've started having the hot "feet" again in the nights, my partner gets me a pair of socks that he has dampened to place on my feet, the things we have to do 🙄,

Don't know if anyone else is having a dry mouth before sleep and waking up no saliva at all,

I feel like I get thrown a new symptom every few days 😔

As for your heart, because we notice things we now look out for them that is what started my panic attacks off,

Try listen to guided meditation to help take your focus off it x

• Edited

hi

I am new feeling alone single anti social 52yrs old feeling the same ..crying.scared etc my period came as spot brown one day and cramps still..crazy hot flashes,heart racing back pain goes on.thanks to this site

• Edited

Nagiag,

I'm the same hun, I'm 43 and I don't make friends, lost my old ones when I moved,

Don't have any interests anymore, this whole perimenopause put my life on complete hold,

My glass is always "half empty"

Would give anything to see the glass "half full",

I push my partner away he sleeps in the spare bedroom and I console myself by cuddling into my dog,

Today I woke up with a shock I felt almost okay, felt good, I thought I'm gonna get out of bed and take dog for a walk, that didn't last long,

But I cleaned the house for the first time in a Long time,

I hope this lasts (have a feeling its going to be those 3-4 days a month I feel okay,

But I have just started taking health supplements (after reading some books),

"Agnus Castus" one in the morning and one in the evening and also in the morning I take "Vitamin B6" and also "Calcium",

Fingers crossed they may be working,

When you get heart palpitations try to put your focus on something else, because our mind focuses on it, we start panicking,

Can't tell u how many times I've been to AnE convinced I'm having a heart attack,

And breath deep, and tell yourself it WILL pass,

Try to take calcium to help maintain your bones,

I'm here if you need to talk to anyone hun, I know that all of this is just awful but know that now you are not alone xx

• Posted

How are you feeling now? i have worest symptoms its happening every day im praying it will go away soon and start enjoying every moment of life

• Edited

I am 45 and I get all the above spent a day in hospital because my heart rate would not go down heavy head feeling full ears wrenching anxiety in my stomach insomnia sore throat its neverending off balance every day labs are good but cardiologist is ruling out any issues because you can get pvcs arrythmias in peri I take olive leaf this helps tremendously with head pressure full ear ringing in ears. We will get through this I am so over this. I eat healthy low weight work out not as much not helping like i would like i may have one good week. I am here for you!

• Edited

im so relived reading there are many women who have similar symptoms like me , im planning to try natural supplements too . Lets support one abother by sharing ideas what help to over come this path .

• Edited

I'm crying reading all these posts. i get severe pressure in my head most days and a super tight jaw plus ringing in my ears. And now nausea. Yesterday i made the mistake of googling my symptoms and convinced myself i was having a heart attack. I only feel good a handful of days every month. It's so debilitating. Did you say the olive leaf help with the head pressure?

• Edited

what about spinning while a sleep anyone experienced this also had on sets of just sitting & feeling my head is swaying sensation is this menopause ?

• Edited

hi i have spinning every couple days I have it now as I'm writing this. I feel like I'm swaying . I kind of try to relax and just think it will go away. If you think to much it can get worse . I feel better knowing a lot of women have the same thing. I am 52 and get my period every 5 months , it seems to be getting worse this month. I hope its almost over I want to feel normal again.

• Edited

Hi ladies, I'm new here sorry to hear all of you are going through this, Im 47 and I haven't had a period in 5 months so I'm sure its peri, have been dealing with severe head heaviness and pressure, which is completely driving me crazy, heart races, internal shaking almost constantly, nausea, muscle twitches, brain fog, tingling in hands, and of course some major anxiety/ panic attacks daily, hope we all make it through this hell, and come out even stronger...this is a nightmare to say the least

• Edited

i was really starting to think i was going crazy with all my symptoms until i found this forum. thank you for sharing.

• Edited

I have been having dizziness with feelings of being off balanced along with nausea for two weeks now. I went to the ER and they did a neuro test, checked my blood levels, EKG, Covid and a host of other tests and all were normal--thank God. I just don't understand this menopause. I haven't seen my period since February. I guess it went on one of its "mysterious vacations", i.e. skipping periods. I wonder if it's coming back or gone for good this time?

• Edited

oh my goodness i feel EXACTLY like you as i speak! I have been feeling this way for a week every since my period went off i feel off balanced! Im 46 and over i would say the last 9 months is when i started feeling weird i just recently started connecting the dots as to just how long i have been a little off and i must say it stared around 41. I too have ran to the hospital multiple times feeling extra nauseous and blood pressure being high.. I brought up to the doctor that i thought it was perimenopause and that man act as if he didnt even hear me and only wanted to give drugs for blood pressure! i must say though this month is just sooooo bad for me!!! i been crying all morning!!!

• Edited

I told them at the ER that I was in premenopause and that I hadn't had a period in a while. That didn't seem to weigh in on factors as far as they were concerned. They didn't discount it they just didn't comment on it. I guess that is like discounting it, huh? I think that I may actually be finished although it hasn't been 12 months yet. It's only been 3 months but I've heard other women say that once their periods actually stopped that their symptoms got worse. My symptoms have been 10 times worse this time around with anxiety, digestive and bowel issues, migraines, nausea and the dizziness. It's a nightmare but if I didn't pray I'd probably crack up.

• Edited

AMEN!!! I cry out to Our Father everyday to help me through this!!! It is down right AWFUL how this perimenopause make you feel!! Im soooo nausous all day long and my whole body achy with a hint of fatigue Lol!!! Keep praying and know that God is our Deliever!!

• Posted

Amen! Yes He is! I know that one day He will take all of this away. It's just the waiting that gets hard.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.