Weird Reaction During MRI?

Posted , 38 users are following.

This is going to sound crazy but please, bear with me. I had my first brain MRI yesterday and the experience was something that I have had a hard time explaining. As you know, with each set of pictures taken, there are different pitches of hums and whirs. Well, initially, I noticed that I could almost feel certain areas of my brain being "targeted" by the sounds. As the MRI progressed, certain sounds became almost painful to various areas of my brain. Now, before I continue, I would like to say, I was wearing earplugs. I could hear the sounds (obviously) but they did NOT hurt my ears).

Although I was uncomfortable, I was also intrigued by the way my brain was reacting to the scan. In order to pass the time, I focused on the sounds of the machine and the areas of my brain that seemed to be reacting. Those areas changed with each sound. Toward the end of the MRI, things got a little scary. In the third from last set of pictures, my body started getting very warm, starting at my uterus (oddly enough). I felt almost a flattening and pulling-type feeling around the temples. It also felt like the right side of my face was being dragged downward. When I closed my eyes and tried to breathe through it, I immediately felt like I was turned onto my left side.

That lasted for about 3 minutes. The next set of pictures were ok, reverting back to how the rest of the scan felt, with only a specific area being targeted.

The last set of pictures truly scared me. Almost immediately, it felt like my frontal lobe was rolling, temple to temple: left to right and back again, repeatedly, and with increasing speed. Almost like a kneading motion. My eyes widened and became hyper-focused; I couldn't blink. My jaw tightened, my tongue pressed to the roof of my mouth, my fingers flexed, and my vision alternated between clear and blurry. I was very much aware of what was happening but had no control. This did not last for the entire duration of the last set of pictures. I was able to force myself to blink about 30 seconds before the MRI was completed. Once I blinked, I was able to regain control of everything else fairly quickly.

I'm sure all of this sounds pretty crazy but I have been researching since leaving the MRI yesterday morning and have been unable to find any information on experiences like mine. I had no sedation and am not claustrophobic. Today I have been unnaturally exhausted and have caught myself randomly falling asleep sitting up which is unusual for me. Please, have you heard of reactions like mine?

1 like, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

This is just a bit of helpful info for everyone.

I went for my 3rd MRI scan (2nd head, neck and spine scan at 3T) today.

I had told the MRI technologist after my second MRI about my experience and just got told it is only sensations in my peripheral nerves. I thought... yeah and were do they go.

I told the neurologist about it and he hadn't heard any issues with MRI. He sends many a patient off to get a scans. Me thinks ... he really doesn't want to divulge any info does he? Claustrophobia and anxiousness was crossed off our lists as possible causes. In spite of all that he prescribes me Diazepam to eliminate any anxiousness.

Today I told the MRI technologist my last MRI experience and asked her if they do one complete scan or two. She said they do several so there is no need to worry about stuffing a scan up cause we can do it again or we can leave it - its up to you. She was really good about it. I didn't tell her I had taken a Diazepam pill before today's scan.

So I was scanned in sections and had no strange reaction. I asked the MRI Tech about all this and she said that sometimes we are anxious and we don't sense it. Well all I can say is that is a lot better answer than the ones I have heard.

I wonder has anyone else out there tried this and still have sensations?? Or have they gone cold turkey like in my first and second scans and had the $##%$# taken out of them?

Hope your all doing well as you can

Regards

Nicola

• Edited

I am a 71 year old female. I started with a quick onset of partial blindness in my right eye. With pressure around both eyes but primarily around my right eye. The doctor that I ultimately saw said it was fluid that you might see from a head injury collecting around my eyes. I was scheduled for an MRI to scan my brain and the brain stem. The day of my MRI I was to have the procedure without contrast then with contrast. I went in with my ear plugs and my ear phones (or ear muffs what ever they are called) on ready for a relaxing but relatively comfortable experience, or so I was told. A few seconds into the scan I began to feel a tingling sensation around my mouth and nose this wasn't to terribly uncomfortable then my whole body began to tingle all the way to my toes. The sensation continued to increase with intensity it was as thought I was experiencing something like restless leg syndrome from my face to my toes unending for at least thirty minutes I was trying not to move but this was very difficult he finally pulled me out, and told me not to move and said I had 25 minutes more. I then tried very hard not to move but the sensation continued to increase in intensity, I began to have small (it seemed) muscle spasms from face, shoulders down to my toes, all the time I was trying to remain as still as possible finally I squeezed the call bell to alert the technician and he pulled me out with disgust and said that they would start the contrast. I was returned this time I felt no discomfort at all as a matter of fact I began to doze when he removed me from the MRI machine.

I was extremely tired and ached all over. This lasted for about three days. This was four days ago and I am finally feeling better. This week I go in for my results. This should be interesting. Also when I came out of the MRI chamber I began to tell my story to the techs and was told that in essence it was my imagination. This concerned me until I read your post. Thank you

• Posted

I know this is an older discussion but I just happened upon it while trying to research what could explain my recent MRI. I have had a few ct scans and didnt have any issues and I had an MRV of my brain aboit a month ago without an issue. A few days ago i had an MRI and it was very odd. It had of course a variety of loud noises...one in particular was a different sound than with the MRV. This one particular sound make my head tense up and make my brain feel like it was being squeezed and made it feel like it was going to explode or pop. My ears also became very sensitive. It was super scary. I am still waiting for the results and I. havent talked to anyone yet about it (I told my husband and mom and they looked at me like I was crazy). From reading comments on here I get the feeling that it may be how some peoples bodys process what is going on....like a coping mechanism of some sorts.

• Posted

Hey Geneva, you're not nuts. Those magnets are super strong! I had similar effects happen to me during my MRI but I couldn't even finish my test! I hope your results were favorable and you never need another MRI!

• Posted

the technician told me it was anxiety.

sorry, Ive been through a lot of things in my life that caused minor anxiety.

this MRI experience was not anxiety.

sweats, pressure, etc. i stopped it immediately and went and had an open MRI..although staying still for all that time was tough, there was no signs if the symptoms I had related to the closed. i wont do another tube MRI

ill take it that they think I'm a nut.

• Posted

I wasn't worried at all about the procedure MY DESCRIPTION WAS NOT IN MY HEAD At first I thought it was interesting but it got continuously more intense I was not impressed with the attendant's reaction or lack of it I staggered out of there like I was drunk She didn't help me at all

• Posted

yes i felt horrible especially the next day i had a headace and feeling weak

• Posted

I had the same thing happen to me, it took a good 24 hours to feel "normal". I got so dizzy during my MRI to the point I thought I'd pass out--I had to stop and restart my MRI 3x. I didn't end up finishing it....

• Posted

I had my first ever MRI today, bilateral breast MRI... where you lay face down on the table, arms stretched above your head, breathing an open hole with a sternum bar between the breasts, then a propped up hard pillow to support laying up on to the box your breasts go into. Ouch, so uncomfortable. I had those squeeze ear plugs, nothing else.

I did well the first 30 minutes, staying perfectly still. Then the last cycle of images before they would inject the contrast made me feel dizzy, like the air was sucked out of the room, sweating profusely, and I felt as though I would pass put. I tried to breathe thorough it but it was just getting worse. I hit the panic button and told the tech what happened, she said I was probably just hot. So we reset and I went in again, as soon as that same noise started again all the same physical sensations came back. Here's the thing, being on your stomach, you have no idea if you're in or out of that tube! I pushed the panic button again! This time, I stripped down to nothing but underwear. Pulled my hair into a ponytail to alleviate the heat and the tech got my head phones (no music). I did much better and was much cooler. Then the dye came, within minutes all the same issues started again, over heated, clammy, dizzy, and going to black out! I hit the panic button again. I felt like such a loser not being able to handle the last bit of the MRI. I wasn't anxious, I didn't even know when I was in the tube! When I got home, I was exhausted like "hit by a mack truck" exhausted! I napped 2 hours! I was famished and dehydrated too...I don't know why or how and there is no clinical information out there to explain why this happened to me! Im usually a compliant patient, I can power through anything... until now. Waiting too see if the doctor can use any of the good images at the start of the MRI or if I have to go back for round two!

• Posted

Hi Anne98252, just my advice.... Your not a wooosse. Listen to your body first. provide what the doctors need second. if the body says it doesnt like it as you describe then don't go through with the procedure. Kia kaha Nicola

• Posted

Thanks, Nicola! I needed someone to tell me that! it's now been 24 hours since the test and I'm finally starting to feel normal. I just can't believe that there's not much info out there about side effects of an MRI. Just because there's a small percentage of us that feel the effects doesn't mean it should be discounted. I think if I could have gotten ice packs to lower my body temperature and the tech telling me how long each cycle was, I would have done much better. My doctor just wanted to give me a sedative.... I wasn't nervous, I was hot!

• Posted

yeah i havent felt the same sensations as youll see in my prevoius messages however i thought the same thing about the sedative idea but as i say above i tried it anyway and it worked. its up to you if you want to try the sedative an see.

• Posted

Very interesting to read everyones story. i just had my left ankle scanned. during the magnetic part of the mri i experienced a strange buzzing/tingling/shooting feeling deep with my leg which spread up my body on the left side right up to my face, i experienced different sensations at different levels throughout the scan.

There is something called magnetoception where people can sense magnetic fields , maybe its this?

• Edited

OCR

Wow! Wish I had read this before getting my MR exams this morning, though I don't know any alternative options I could have pursued.

Your post and these responses are the only instances like mine I'm seeing on the web, and it's at least reassuring to know others have had similar experiences. I was undergoing simultaneous MRI, MRA, and MRV exams for some mysterious and unexplained head pressure I've been having on and off for the past five years at the base of my skull. About halfway through my exam, I started to feel a pulsing sensation through my head and body as if my heartbeat had been magnified. In the moment, I assumed that this and the sharp stabbing pain in the back off my head were likely due to my awkward position on the table, and my usual overanalysis. Minutes later, I could feel this pushing and pulling sensation all over the inside my head, different parts of my head with each different set of sounds. More painful than the other areas, the sharp pain in the back of my head became an intense buzzing and tingling sensation. During the last few set of sounds (about 10min), that intensified further into a full-on burning sensation that radiated through my head. It felt as though my head was inside of a microwave. The pain grew worse and worse, and I considered squeezing the alarm signal the examiner gave me, but I knew the exam was almost over and did not want to risk corrupting whatever data they had already collected, so I pushed through. What's worse is, while one of the doctor's brushed it off and said my dizziness (not what I told her I was experiencing) was perfectly normal and mostly in my head, I spoke with another one of the examiners before leaving who affirmed what I explained feeling and said that some patients experience different sensations as a result of the magnetism of the iron in their brain, and that some can even experience a heating sensation which can raise the examined area by 1-2° in temperature during the exam.

I seriously wonder what would happen to a person's brain under an MRI just 1-2 hours longer. Scary thoughts... I'm hoping to feel back to normal soon, and really hoping this exam was conclusive so I don't have to do any further exams.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I would love to know how you're feeling now, years later, and if any related pains or sensations have arisen since your scan?

• Posted

Sounds like you need a lot of rest and drink plenty of fluids. I do not think its anything serious.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.