Weird Reaction During MRI?

Posted , 38 users are following.

This is going to sound crazy but please, bear with me. I had my first brain MRI yesterday and the experience was something that I have had a hard time explaining. As you know, with each set of pictures taken, there are different pitches of hums and whirs. Well, initially, I noticed that I could almost feel certain areas of my brain being "targeted" by the sounds. As the MRI progressed, certain sounds became almost painful to various areas of my brain. Now, before I continue, I would like to say, I was wearing earplugs. I could hear the sounds (obviously) but they did NOT hurt my ears).

Although I was uncomfortable, I was also intrigued by the way my brain was reacting to the scan. In order to pass the time, I focused on the sounds of the machine and the areas of my brain that seemed to be reacting. Those areas changed with each sound. Toward the end of the MRI, things got a little scary. In the third from last set of pictures, my body started getting very warm, starting at my uterus (oddly enough). I felt almost a flattening and pulling-type feeling around the temples. It also felt like the right side of my face was being dragged downward. When I closed my eyes and tried to breathe through it, I immediately felt like I was turned onto my left side.

That lasted for about 3 minutes. The next set of pictures were ok, reverting back to how the rest of the scan felt, with only a specific area being targeted.

The last set of pictures truly scared me. Almost immediately, it felt like my frontal lobe was rolling, temple to temple: left to right and back again, repeatedly, and with increasing speed. Almost like a kneading motion. My eyes widened and became hyper-focused; I couldn't blink. My jaw tightened, my tongue pressed to the roof of my mouth, my fingers flexed, and my vision alternated between clear and blurry. I was very much aware of what was happening but had no control. This did not last for the entire duration of the last set of pictures. I was able to force myself to blink about 30 seconds before the MRI was completed. Once I blinked, I was able to regain control of everything else fairly quickly.

I'm sure all of this sounds pretty crazy but I have been researching since leaving the MRI yesterday morning and have been unable to find any information on experiences like mine. I had no sedation and am not claustrophobic. Today I have been unnaturally exhausted and have caught myself randomly falling asleep sitting up which is unusual for me. Please, have you heard of reactions like mine?

1 like, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there. I made an account just to reply. I had an MRI today on my brain and felt this same sort of experience.

I had my eyes closed for most of the MRI and saw a very bright blue light and this is going to sound completely nutty, when the pressure was increasing in my skull I saw a liquid silver sphere with someone in standing in the distance and the pretty blue sky. Sounds so weird, my body started twitching and the tech wanted me to hold my figure with the monitor attached still. I was not moving.

I have had this sharp pain in my head since.

I hope you are feeling better.

• Posted

I had mri brain 4 days ago.Burning pains in scalp since.

Mri department denied it.

I don't know what to do. Will my scalp become crepy or scarred? Will it cause hair loss?

Has it affected my brain?

How can I treat it?

Please help!

• Posted

I too experienced this today for my brain MRI. I even asked the technician if it's normal to feel the waves/magnets moving around and my scalp or things inside my brain feeling like it's about to break thru my scalp towards to machine , he gave me a look like I'm crazy and said “that's one way to described it" but didn't answered the question so he probably thought i was crazy. But i don't care if the most genius tells me otherwise I KNOW what i experienced today and it was very freaky. I'm neither claustrophobic nor anxious i know what i experience. I'm glad in not the only one. it was actually painful when the pulling happened. you have much more knowledge of the MRI i just know I'm scared to go get the other 2.

• Posted

Just FYI, I had to end a MRI very early today as the pulling feeling above my right eyebrow was intense and scared me as well. They tried a second go around and I pushed the emergency button immediately as it was to intense and I was unsure of serious injury from this feeling. I have had a sinus type headache all day now and very tired and napped for an hour, i'm a high energy person. Just thought I would chime in. My MRI was for my shoulder and I'm not sure what my doctor will suggest now.

• Posted

i just had 3 MRIs and quickly went searching for whether you could feel the MRI inside your body. I had a few distinct moments of interest. First during the one before I had contrast, when one of the lower tones was happening, everything in my right side started twitching to the pulsating rhythm. I am in the machine to understand my muscle twitching and jerking to begin with, so it was so odd for my muscles to sound off

like that during the test. After they added contrast, I could feel a sensation on my left hip and it felt like my bones and tissues were being pulled toward the machine. (Maybe heavy metals in our bodies??) I definitely had multiple warm sensation on my upper torso as well. I was having brain, neck and spine MRIs. I could definitely tell when it was looking at my brain. I was very dizzy upon leaving the bed and very tired. sounds similar to what others have experienced.

• Posted

I'm so happy I came across this forum. Everyone I've explained my experience to has brushed it off.

I had a pelvic and abdominal MRI yesterday. Although a bit nervous when I went it, I wore an eye mask and couldn't see the tube at all, and found the beginning fairly relaxing. As I lay there I swear I could feel each scan as it went through different parts of my body, because I felt a slight pressure and warmth as it targeted different areas. But when it went over my upper torso (just beneath my breasts) I felt an intense pressure and pain on my left side (possibly where my stomach is?) - like something was constricting and pressing the area. Then I felt the scan move down and I felt an intense pain across my torso. The pain was very specific/targeted - it felt like a horizontal line of pressure across my waist, and it was incredibly painful, so much that I considered pressing the panic button, but breathed through it because I didn't want to mess up the work that had already been done. Anyhow, after that experience the pain subsided, and I felt the scans hitting my back area - I felt pressure and warmth, but no pain.

When the MRI was finished I mentioned the pain/pressure on my upper left side/across my waist and the MRI technologist said she'd never heard of that before, and we left it there. By the time I came home I felt nauseous and extremely drained - to the point where I had to take a nap. I now feel largely fine, but have been getting periodical shots of pain in the same area, 24 hrs later. Anyhow, I'm sure it will subside, but everywhere I search says MRI's themselves don't cause pain, so I am quite confused.

• Posted

i literally felt almost the same thing apart from the being rolled only the one side and stuff. but i could feel the pictures being taken like slice by slice was such a strange sensation and the parts of the brain being stimulated.

Im a 27yo healthy female not claustrophobic and I dont want to say much but the brain scan was due to an injury from DV...

afterwards i felt queezy and dizzy. its been about 6 hours, Ive now got a slight migraine and finding it hard to sleep even though im tired.

i can still half feel where the really loud part was taking pictures of the front sides of my head close the temples. i do want to know this sensation did your results cone back with abnormalities.

• Posted

I have had the same symptoms since my cervical MRI over a week ago. I still have a headache and an inability to sleep even though I am tired. Did this eventually subside for you, and if so how long did it take to subside? Any answers would be deeply appreciated!

• Posted

Hi,

I had a MRI today and experienced everything you said, except feeling like my body was turned. My eyes did the same and I closed my eyes to try to relieve the pain.

• Posted

Jessica, I had the same thing today while getting my MRI. However, I attribute to something I've been working on for 3 months now. I have always had a 6th sense and have been working with severs mediums to understand it better. I never thought for one second this would happen! But I felt the energy going through my brain in waves, moving from side to side at first. As the pulses changed, I could feel it move to a new spot (front to rear) in tiny sections It was like they did 1/2 of my frontal lobe back to just past my ear and then to the other side. Several sections near my ears I saw purple flashes and blue, very faintly though. But I could feel pressure inside my head just above the right eye. I have a slight headache. Fogginess and a little shaky. I've had MRI before and other than loud and cramped I was fine. I described the feeling to my wife and the Tech before we left and decided to search it and found you. I felt every dissection they did.

• Posted

The enclosed space, the lights, the whirring sounds and the disquiet quiet of the lab environment can all result in the illusory colors of phosphenes.

• Posted

In general, MRI scanners are capable of producing a damaging dose of acoustic noise and are forbidden, by regulation, from producing noise levels (140 dB) capable of immediate hearing loss. Therefore, hearing protection is essential and appropriate solutions are widely available.

In conclusion, MRI devices produce noise that may impair the hearing system of operators and patients with such symptoms as tinnitus, headache, ear pain, and dizziness.

In a new study published in Current Biology online on Sept. 22, a team led by Johns Hopkins scientists suggests that MRI's strong magnet pushes on fluid that circulates in the inner ear's balance center, leading to a feeling of unexpected or unsteady movement.

Some MRI scans involve having an injection of contrast agent (dye). This makes certain tissues and blood vessels show up more clearly and in greater detail. Sometimes the contrast agent can cause side effects, such as: feeling or being sick.

For the real truth they either do a ct scan that causes radiation or mri scan that will hurt your body physcialy and metnali they keep using the old mri scans that mess up your body just to steal money from the insurance companys and hurt people thats why they quiet like mice when you tell them whats going on there just another pricetag better get a ct scan and get radiation than having the side effect of mri the loud noise messes up your hearing in your brain which includes your third eye it will take two or more weeks to get better from the noise and other symptons if you had a iv injection

• Posted

yes, similar reaction to being fried by magnetic waves. Felt very sick and had to sleep for a whole day to feel somewhat normal. Did not get any toxic dyes injected for it either, just fried sunny side up lol. Yet the medical community will chalk anything up to anxiety or craziness if you dare to question the safety of it if not every person complains about it(gaslighting abusive tactic in its finest form). Tons of people are also too dumb to even have much body or conscious awareness, so they make the safety of such machines an easy pass. As for the mri technicians, do you really think they would be teaching them about much negative consequences when these kids are paying to be in the field? no... I wonder how much money is made off of mri's.....The system is a money making f###ery.

• Posted

I just had an MRI of my cervical spine and I am so upset as I write this. I had the MRI over a week ago and have had a constant headache since then, inability to sleep, and feeling very much not like myself with near panic attacks on a daily basis. Does anyone else feel this way and have these feelings subsided for anyone? I could hear my heart beating while I was in the machine and felt very hot and confused afterwards. Mine was also without contrast. I will never ever do one of these scans again. In fact, I will never step foot in a doctor's office or hospital ever again. These scans are highly detrimental to your health and wellbeing. My scan was on the Siemens Prism 3T.

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

Interesting to read everyone's experiences. I came here looking to validate mine...but mine is quite different!

I felt like someone was punching me in the back. Not in a painful way...almost like a massage gun. As if someone had boxing gloves on and was pummelling my back in a intentional manner. It moved around different areas of my back It felt very firm, but not painful. I lay there trying to work out what it could be...whether my brain was tricking me somehow, or whether the 'punch' feeling was a 'pull' feeling from the magnets, but as much as I tried to tell myself the feeling was false...it felt very real.

Anyone else had this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.