Weird smelling stool..kinda?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Idk why but my stool smells like rotten onions almost. Onion is the closest I can I think of. It doesn't really smell metallic. I do see streak of bright red blood on every piece on one side only and freaked out only to realize that my period is still here and it's only been day 4 (3-4 days are the main days, the rest is spotting for me). I was eating a salad with onions and beef. I'm a constipated currently. I hate the alternating bouts of diarrhea and constipation because I can't tell if it's going to be constipation today or diarrhea and sometimes both in one day! So yea, I don't think I have blood in my stool (period blood on the outside, yes). Just the onion? smell. Is this just my "IBS" symptoms again or anxiety or even worse, cancer. Oml. I'm 16 and I keep getting cancer worries even though everyone tells me it's probably IBS and I'm absolutely fine. I think my constipation made me gain a pound or 2. Ugh, I'm just stressing out over anything and everything. Mostly health anxiety but also a whole bunch of not health related stuff. My therapy session is still one week again so basically one more week of constant anxiety. I swear, I'm gonna get gray hair soon, probably by the time I'm in my twenties.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

Cannot comment on blood part but when it comes to onionish smell. Please do not worry, this is common when you have mucus on stool. Very recently we discussed same here in this site. I am also having same smell for long..

And you are only 16...how come you worry on cancer....it is really really very unlikely.on your age. Do you have family history on colon cancer?

Regards

• Posted

I have never seen anyone with colon cancer or even know that cancer can happen in the colon! I think my uncle and one of my cousins have IBS. My dad, too, has the almost same problem as me. He gets severe diarrhea and dropped a very very large amount of weight. No one could find out what it is, no cancer no nothing. Colon cancer, I've never heard of in my family (didn't know about it until recently). There are quite a few digestive disorders and rarely cancer. Most of the cancer is in my really distance relatives and I don't think they're genetic.

have you ever been constipated and suddenly get mushy, loose stool right after you get the hard piece out?

• Posted

That is good. Then please get rid of cancer concern, but I would go for colonoscpoy to eliminate cohrn and colitis. Then you can say it is ibs (if you havent done yet). Even very very likely you have ibs...

And answer for your last question is yes, it is very common symptom on ibs.

• Posted

I remember getting this thing put in my butthole but I don't think I can't remember a lot. Would that be one of the -scopies? It was a few years ago. Apparently, I have a sensitive bowel. Is IBS considered a sensitive bowel or colon? I'm not sure if I ever got diagnosed with IBS because I was about 7 or 8 and my parents never really told me. I think they sat me down and talked to me about how I have this condition but I seriously can't remember and I don't really have to guts and tell them my worries or for them to tell me what I have again. I don't know why, 7-8 years old is old enough to remember these things but I seriously can't, a little bit yes but not a lot. Maybe I should be payed attention and not rush to play with my friends. I've always hated the topic of health related stuff, they scare me. My doctor didn't say anything about IBS either. Well, I never really mentioned my IBS worries to him, just my anxiety and some symptoms. 

• Posted

Why dont you ask your parents what procedure you had back then? And what was the siognosis? You should be open for health matters, no need to hide.

Ibs is more.of disconnect between brain and colon. Means your bowel.movements are very reactive to stress, anxiety etc. Ibs will not cause any major sickness like cancer, but a disconfort lifetime. Cure is mental, you need to change your mindset and build your inner peace. This needs time and experience. Meditation like yoga will help.

• Posted

Camham

If you are Anxious this can cause IBS, if you are bleeding however little you should explain that to your GP, it May only be piles.

Talk to your GP and explain your Fears, especially any blood

BOB

• Posted

Sorry for the confusion, it was my period blood 😂. I freaked out when I saw blood but realized I'm still on my period. I only see blood on my period

• Posted

My stools sometimes smell like that, the best way I can describe it is like it smells like silage. Bit hard to understand that smell unless you've been on a farm, but silage is the grass that is harvested in the summer and then stored under huge plastic sheeting ready for cattle to feed on during winter months when they are not allowed out in the fields. It definitely has a rotten onion type smell about it.

As long as your stools are brown in colour, not very dark and tarry, and the blood is on the stools and not in them, then it is very likely a combination of IBS and haemorrhoids and / or a fissure. Doesn't mean you don't need to get it checked out by a doctor though, especially considering the anxiety your experiencing being created by your condition. See a doctor and get some investigations underway, and build up the courage to tell your parents, it's what they are there for.

• Posted

No blood from the behind area. It's period blood (menstrual cycle), sorry for confusion.

• Posted

Hi camham....Well if you see the blood in toilet only during your menses, that is normal...And apart from those days if you don't have blood in your stool, and if you have alternating episode of diarrhea and constipation then it is probably due to IBS, well if you get blood in your stool apart from your menses days then it is something to be  evaluated further...Well it is very important that you control your anxiety as it can make your symproms worse....if you are getting anxiety in almost every situation, I would suggest you should talk about that with your GP in detail...As you might need some assistance in controlling your anxiety and so your symptoms..

Well I also have IBS and i used to have anxiety but my physician prescribed me anxiolytic for 1 or two years..I am still taking it and feeling really well...As well you need to indulge yourself in exercise, good food habit and try to be positive in every situation...Our mind is very powerful tool and I am saying this with my experience...May be your GP can help you and assist you in coming out of your anxiety...and you will have to work for that too...You are just 16, and life is beautiful..What I think is when you will be able to control your anxiety, which takes a lot of efforts, but once you will be able to control it, your symptoms will become less severe and less frequent....I have this experience, so I am telling you...And now I can say IBS is one  the beautiful things which has happened to me...Because It has changed my outlook towards the life and that is in so much positive way...So you can also make your life beautiful....biggrin 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I ONLY see blood on my period. Sometimes Im so constipated or wiped to hard and excessively, I get a little tear which cause a small bleeding. Heals within days tho? Do you know what theseems cuts are called? They sting too
    • Posted

Hi camham..those are superficial cuts which happens due to excessive friction in that area...sometimes because of diarrhea and constipation you can have fissure inside of the anal canal and sometimes hemorrhoids, which all cause bleeding....so if that is superficial cut due to excessive friction then try not to do it too harsh....and that will prevent future cuts....and if you have fissure inside the anal canal, then that is due to friction with excessive hard stool and that takes lil longer to heal, but in any case it is not that serious...So don't worrybiggrin

• Posted

Camham

If you are eating onions it is quite possible you may smell onions when you go to the WC, if constipated your weight will increase until you pass that stool

Your Anxiety seems to have you galloping down the road to a health concern  that is not present, move on and stop worrying regards a Cancer

If you still are worrying about Cancer talk to your GP, He will put your mind at rest

BOB

• Posted

IBS seems to be the most notorious of all the fictitious diseases wreaking havoc in our world today, and also on this site. Everyone seems to be going nuts about this problem, and for some weird reason it now goes hand-in-hand with cancer.

Listen Cam, it's not that serious. IBS is as real as unicorn, if you know what I mean. It is a horrible digestive system problem that somehow managed to strengthen the link between the mind and the GI system. The GI system has a connection with the mind. Once you worry too much, your stomach would go nuts on you with diarrhea of inexplicable origin.

You're only 16 and so much worried about cancer that you stated doesn't run in your family. You do not need a medication for your fictitious problem. What you need is to constantly remind yourself that you must condition your mind to separate facts from fiction. Your problem is that you worry too much, and you already are aware that your so-called issue exists in your mind. You are aware that too much worry leads to early gray hair. So, why do you want to get old in your 20s?

We're here to help you surmount your worries and be on your way to living a worry-free life. Remember that IBS is a mind disease.

• Posted

Sadly IBS is very real and not ficticious even though it is linked to our mind.  I certainly don’t imagine my IBS symptoms and my brother didn’t either and he was worse than me,  His IBS cleared up because the stress trigger disappeared and he had to be careful with potatoes.  I can improve my reaction to stress by laughing at the situation that caused it, but it will not entirely cure it because I am highly anxious.

I certainly wouldn’t compare the nastiness of IBS with the beauty and majesty of the mythical unicorn.  Doctors wouldn’t diagnose IBS if it didn't exist.  IBS is a lifestyle illness. I suspect you did have IBS, but you got into full remission by getting your stress under control.  The people on this site struggling daily with their IBS and anxiety are not making their symptoms and suffering up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.