WELL EVERYONE I'M READY TO TAKE THE PLUNGE.

Posted , 15 users are following.

I'm the teaching tennis guy from Chicago. A year ago i had my rotator cuff totally repaired...

A few months later i had my hip replaced (which was the most painless surgery and recovery!)

But in 6 days...April 15th I'm going in for my TKR.

I was all confident and excited until i read about alllll the pain you all are experiencing...AND my good friend just had hers done yesterday.

I went to visit her this noon and she was "good."

But she just texted me (its almost midnight here...and she's crying and throwing up from the pain!

Then I show her this site and found myself scaring the pants off of me!

OMG...IS IT REALLY THAT PAINFUL?

I swear i didn't feel anything on the hip replaced. But this isn't sounding good.

You're all depressed...i see some of you are in awful pain weeks and months post op.

For my friends sake, Ms Morgan, Linda, please give her your experiences as I'm going to have her read these replies!

OMG...YIKESSSS.....CRICKEY.....YOU ALL HAVE ME SCARED TO DEATH!!!!!

Maybe I'll cancel and become a sheppard. Lol

David from Chicago

4 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear David.....please, please write back after your surgery!  I love your humor and thoroughly enjoyed this thread.  I don't think you're going to have any surprises. Everyone does what they need to do to get better.  I stumbled upon this site about 2 weeks post TKR in Sept when I was in a pretty dark place.  I have read every post that comes to my email even though I haven't had any issues....everything has been in the normal range. But I feel this connection to all who have gone through this procedure.  It is my therapy!  I do remember my class before surgery where the nurse spoke to a group of 20+ who were either have knee or hip replacement.  She said hip people would breeze through surgery and recovery and knee people would have a longer recovery.  

But do post when you are further down the road.  You made my day!

• Posted

I shall Mary...as soon as they roll me into my room and turn off the lights and take OLDFATGUYS tennis ball out of my bum biggrin

I'll write a note.

And you're right...my hip replacement was painless. Id do it on my good hip if i could cos the new bionic hip can do things only superman can do while my good biological hip can't. But the Doc says, David, get ready, this isn't going to be as easy as the hip. This may feel like getting kicked in the nut* by an OLDFATGUY!

Lol

Peace out everyone zzzzzzzz

• Posted

David, how did your surgery go? I'm in Grand Cayman on vacation and my trusty toy knee is performing well. Even my bone on bone one has been quiet! Hope that things went well!
    • Posted

Hi Jean you have a "toy/TKR" knee AND a biologically bone on bone "good/old?"

I take it you're going to have the other done too?

My surgery went fabulous...i was able to put weight on it a few hours after surgery...spent the night in the hospital and home the next day.

Got up this morning after good night's sleep and even walked outside ( VERY SLOWLY) with a walker.

I paid the price for that all day today as it hurt something awful, but took my meds and am icing it now and frankly I'm feeling rather well now.

So I give the entire experience a big THUMBS UP!biggrin

Thanks for checking in! Have fun on holiday!

David

• Posted

Good for you David that you've come through this so well. We all recover differently as you have read but I'm glad yours was a positive experience. Keep it going!
    • Posted

Ok....Austin Powers...what were you doing the next morning....shagging...while standing on both legs.....LOL....I mean shaving.

david, really glad to hear from you.  I Did not walk outside till week 3.. Take your time.

Pam

• Posted

Glad to hear u came thru the surgery so well. You sound like superman!

hope the healing process continues to go well for u.

damy

• Posted

So impressed you came home the day after surgery! I was in for 3 days, one of which was spent waiting to get bureaucratic things sorted out to leave hospital. I was the first of my admission cohort to get home and the others were in longer.

Hope you manage to do all those essential daily tasks in comfort. Now it's all about exercises, rest and pain management.

Look after yourself and take it gently. You'll have good and bad days and nights, but even if you find it a challenge at times, the majority of us just get better all the time from this point!

• Posted

Hi Lame and all ... Thanks Lame for your note. So today is 3 days post op. I came home 1 day post op.

Frankly other than the fact my leg is swollen like a watermelon, I'm walking without any aids ( walker or crutches) its slow walking but i am. But there's really no pain pain...just that it's a pain in the bum to be inside all day while it's 80°F outside.

Tomorrow i think I'm going to sneak in the car and drive 3 miles to the lake with my dog Venus (Shusssss don't tell my doctor, lol)

But I've gotta get some fresh air and lake breeze thru my hair. I may even sit in the pre summer freezing cold water to chill my knee and take some swelling down.

I'm doing great...im just impatient...lol

Talk soon!

• Posted

Just cause you're feeling fine don't overdo it. That's the big bite in the a** a couple of weeks down line. If you would happen to get in a car accident and hit your knee.......split the stitches etc the all he'll breaks loose. I don't think I told you aboout my downfall. In Jan 2013 I had to have a revision. Having been through it once I thought I knew the drill. 1st morning after they dragged me out and I was ready for it. Trip across the room to the bathroom and back to the chair....flying high. I decided to get cleaned up. I washed, shaved and then started to pull up my undershirts. Couldn't quit get them and instead of asking for help I pulled myself up on the tray table. Suddenly the foot started turning and I couldn't self correct. Wound up on the floor with my leg in a figure 4. I had a 20 degree torque break from the inside of the leg to the outside. Next morning back to surgery and a plate had to be inserted from hip to knee next to the bone and put in place with 8 screws. That was the beginning of my downfall. Staph infections......a total of 6 surgeries in addition to the original 5........3 different prosthesis.....a no foot long incision......and on it goes, all because I thought I could whip the system. I know you are thrilled that things are flying high......just don't flame out and crash and burn because you are in over your head. Keep on keeping on just remember there is a process just as in your game......you would go ballistic if you were trying to teach your game and the student just wanted to hit the ball without learning, grip, footwork, weight distribution, follow through, etc. Make sure you are playing the game with the right equipment and a good warm up. Don't just head for the court and start trying to ace every serve.
    • Posted

I hear ya. I'm just soo pathetically bored.

My dog is bored.

I can't just sit...watching the tele or looking at the lawn.

There's no mental stimulation.

No one to talk to.

Everybody talks AT me, no one talks TO me.

If i just sit here i know what'll happen...I'll start taking more painkillers just to lose track of time. Then I'll be in SERIOUS trouble.

I hear what you're saying. God forbid i end up in surgery again. I can't sit and read all day or watch tele all day or play on computer all day.

I almost wish I was experiencing excruciating pain. At least then id be in bed crying

pain or no pain...either way ...there's no difference. Im in bed crying.

I think i understand what's going on here with everyone. This bloody TKR is going to take you down to the road of despair, pain or no pain.

• Posted

Ooops. I think you need to start putting things into perspective.

If you are bored, do something about it.  You may not be able to walk, but you can still go room to room, you still have full use of your hands.  If your dog is bored; go make some doggie biscuits, he will become your best friend and wag that tail like there is no tomorrow!  As for you.  You are not supposed to be in pain, that's why you are given painkillers, if they are not touching the pain, increase dosage or go ring your doctor.  Some people can sail through this procedure because of the lack of pain, there are others; such as yourself who do suffer.  Do something about it.  If you are going to sit around with a hangdog face on and "you dont understand" on your face, people ARE going to talk differently.  You are the same person now as you were before the operation, act so, don't let pain get you down, you are doing yourself no favours and family members have their own lived to get on with.

Mental stimulation is what YOU make of it.  You are not helpless.  You have a computer, download puzzles, learn a language, learn a craft that you never had time to do before. Do not say thre is nothing to do. That is insulting, to yourself and every other person that has been through what you are experiencing now!

Just because you have temporarily list the 100% use of one leg does not been you have to be propped up in bed/ on the sofa or floor.  Go rooting in the kitchen and leaf through recipe books, you can hobble about on crutches.

There are a thousand and one things you can do to occupy your mind.

The main thing you are not to do is feel sorry for yourself.  There is no road to despair.

So pick yourself up, stop feeling sorry for yourself, get on with healing.  Everyone on this site is suffering one way or another and are here to support one another.  We know what pain is, some more than others.  We are here for you too.  But you also have to help yourself.

Don't start spluttering with indignation after you have read this, I am NOT being rude, insensitive, unfeeling, uncaring, and ignorant to how you are feeling. Life has to go on, we have, so can you.  If you dont change your mindset, you will never heal properly.

TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS.

• Posted

Hey David,

walking wihout aids, is pushing it to start, I would think.  You need to find something you can do to occupy your time and Venus will survive....honest she understand..y know she does.

david, if y are that swollen hen I would say that in itself is telling it all.  I understand the boredom feeling.  We have all had that....you know we have all been there too. We understand the feeling and we have survived, and we all found something to occupy our minds to get thru.

Take care and elevate that leg 2x a day for an hour...in addition to any other elevation and icing.

Has your in home therapy started?

Pam

• Posted

To everybody...FatGuy esp i have more venom inside me than a black momba! I got issues...the anger and rage fill me with adrenaline such that i feel no pain. When i push the anger away and calm down i feel the pain of the leg and my reckless lifestyle.

I'm going to shut up for a few days and try to chop the head of the snake off 🐍

• Posted

When I was 14 I had rheumatic fever and had to be confined to bed for several months. I loved baseball More than any other sport and had a miniature rubber ball that I would bounce off the wall. This of course was long before tv so radio was the only source of entertainment and both of my parents worked. The bouncing of the ball and the volume if the radio formally took its toll on my neighbors (we lived in an upstairs apartment).. At a young age I fully learned the meaning of pent up anger. We didn't use the words anger management in those days. This was a couple of year's after the war and everyone was trying to get their life back and a sick teenager was a low priority. I found out on my own that if I ever wanted to be able to play a real game with a real ball and get away from the imaginary stuff inhad to find the solution myself. It was a year or so later that the kindly, 80+ year old gentleman put a racket in my hand and started teaching me the game of tennis. He must have done the same for a 1000 others before and after me. I found hitting a tennis ball was far better anger management than tossing a little rubber ball against a wall. So, whatever it takes is the right stuff as long as you don't hurt what has been done and increase the problems. Stay with it and I'm sure it will all fall into place
    • Posted

Aww tennis 🎾...that's my peaceful place i can escape to in my mind...WHEN THE FIRE BURNS.

Tks OFG...I'm going to turn the tennis channel on.

But then after awhile the fire will start because i can't be between those white lines where all is safe in my world.

• Posted

Hi there Sueisobel, just wanted to say I LOVE your reply. I even found myself sitting up straighter and nearly said "Sorry" for sitting here instead of goind and doing something redface

Straight talking - way to go!!

• Posted

sueisobel,

i love love your honest approach.  Everything you say is so forthright!!!💕

Pam

• Posted

Good afternoon all.

Here i am at the 11th day post TKR.

The physios ( physical therapists) have only been able to get me to a 65° bend.

They're saying if i don't get to at the least 90° by May 4th the doctor may elect to do a procedure called, "MANIPULATION😮"

I guess they put you to sleep and while under bend your leg yhe full capacity of a knee. Now yes she said id be "under/twi-lite" sleep, but when i wake.....😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😈😈😈😈😈😈😈😈😈😈😈😄😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮

Be ready to scream!

Doesbanyone know about this procedure or better yet had one done they they could share?

• Posted

Hi David, many people on here have had it done. Not, I , so I cold to help u. Start a new discussion w/ that as ur title and I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses.

what happened?? We thought u were doing so well?,

• Posted

Never had it not ever had it threatened but many on here have ginectgrough it. Seems to me they aren't giving you much of a window. It's scar tissue that is healing, maybe a little to quickly and making it difficult to move. Tell your therapist if shecdoenst get it straightened out by Friday you are going to request a new one as you are assuming it's all her fault. Also tell her you want a 23 yr old that is a part time model because you think having someone like that to chase around the apartment will help you tear the scar tissue loose faster. Here's hoping the darn thing gives.....keep on working and if you suddenly feel little tinged oh unusual pain the tissue might be giving
    • Posted

Boy you're smart OFG you hit it right on the head! It's the scar tissue that's hindering me.

Back in the early '90's i had an ACL replacement on same knee and believe it or not i never was given physical therapy.

I don't know if physical therapy existed back then or if my doctor was an idiot. (diff doctor than now) as a result i never had full extension since yet kept on playing, teaching, running and jumping on a knee that progressively became more and more bone on bone until the beginnings of necrosis started to set in.

Anyways as to my in home PT and nurse...OHHH MOMMA, lol

If i knew how to put a picture in here like that tanya gal did you'd think Hugh Hefner sent them! biggrin))) I'm very pleased with them, especially when she bends down to massage my knee, i have a full view of the TWIN TOWERS! Lolololol

• Posted

Wow, David.  That is just 19 days after surgery.  I was given till 30 and made the 95 degree prior to that appointment.  You could push the doctor appointment out a bit?????  Just thinking.

pam

• Posted

You are a worry wart. When you had your original operation, before waking you, the surgeon would have done all sorts of beep painful things to your knee, including bending it to such a position that your heel will touch your backside.  They would have twisted it every which way to test its stability.  Manipulation is the same procedure. They will knock you out and bend your knee.  Go to your local pool. Better still find out where your local hydrotherapy pool is.  You will surprise yourself how much you van do under your own steam.  You will get back on the tennis court, but if you rush things, you will be the ball boy not the ball hitter.

Learn patience, I know you are impatient to get on with your life, but you have had a very serious operation.  Allow yourself to heal.  In a few months time all this will be a distant memory, you won't even remember the pain.  Think of ways to incorporate exercises into your everyday life; the way you walk up and down stairs. How you walk (heel - roll onto toe) making sure you can feel those muscle in play.  If you need to ice, put a light-ish weight on your ankle and then elevate.  If you are determined to get better, then you will have to do the work yourself, without cheating.  Yes it is painful, we have all been there, some of us are still in pain a long time after, some of us will never recover and some of us sail through physio and, providing they continue with some form of exercises have a freedom that they have not had in years.  You are in charge of your knee, work at it.  Think of pain as a healing pain,  take an extra pain killer.  You are not supposed to be in pain.  Pain will stop you functioning properly

• Posted

thank you, sometimes I do go on a bit.  There is so much we can do without really thinking about it.  Me, I'm work in progress, have been for years, but I live in hope.  "Spring" is on it way, the sun is shining, if you are like me, then the garden will need tending to,  beats going to the gym + one has the added bonus of sitting down, looking around at our progress and celebrate with the odd glass of wine (or tea). Keep up the good work x
    • Posted

Thank you kind lady, sometimes though some people do not like honesty as it comes out a bit harsh. Forthright is a good word.

now it's time for bed, otherwise I will struggle in the morning, my brain keeps telling me it's the weekend.  Good news is, there is a long weekend coming up.

stay well, and keep working those thighs and thanks again for your kind words x

• Posted

Ya know Sue you're 1000% right!

I am a worry wart. A big fat stinky, hairy, right on the tip of one's nose, giant wart!

Lol

• Posted

Your'e a Harry Potter fan then!!!!!!!!!!!! are you the one that attacked Hermione in the loos in the first movie :P (cwl)

If you are desperate to put your feet on the tennins court, buy one of those ankle to thigh braces. A bit old school, but you strap it in place with velcro.  Inside the brace there are sponge cushions placed in strategic places so it fits your leg properly.  This will totally take the weight off your leg, you will not be able to bend your knee, but you will be able to get around painlessly.  You will look like Long John Silver, but you will be able to move across the court and hit those poor defenceless balls over the net.  Be warned, as soon as you take off the splint you will be in agony, not just David55379 pain, but a oh my G** pain, at the same time you will be saying "it was worth it". (Been there and done that, not sure who laughed the most me or my kids who were playing opposite me; me with a racket and they with lacrosse sticks!).  Then you really have to man up, take the pain killers ( there are prescription liquid painkillers, that hit the spot quicker as well as lidocaine patches).  Dont be clever and do this without the support, the impact of your foot hitting the ground is enough to jar your joint and do unnecessary damage + your muscles are nowhere near ready so the twisting aspect is at risk as well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.