What about the pads we have used and still use? What harm could they have caused?

Posted , 10 users are following.

We all have used them, or still use them - hygiene pads or whatever they are called, for our monthly periods.   Even the one's made of 'cotton' and are 'breathable' are now soon an irritation down below.

There are so many women nowadays suffering from LS, it makes one wonder whether the use of 'throw away pads' has made LS worse or has even a share in the cause of LS.  

Anyone else having thoughts on this? 

0 likes, 81 replies

81 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

This is a great link about LS. In one of the sections "suggestions and tips" it dicusses pad usage. This whole site is very informative and helpful for those of us that suffer with LS. Hope this helps someone : )

http://www.lichensclerosus.net/?What_is_LS%3F

• Posted

Perhaps we should write to a company that produces toxic pads and hope they will change their ways?

• Posted

oh yes...yes, yes, yes....but i often think people (Dr's) dont take us seriously about our feminine issues....Now, if men starting complaining, BOOM! There'd be research and an answer by now.  Take a look at this....and prepare yourself...you might have to pick your jaw up when you read this article: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/nontoxic-alternatives-to-tampons-and-sanitary-napkins/

I say buy Organic anything....steer clear of recycled anything. Garbage is garbage..we cant clean it/bleach it without it hurting us either internally or externally. Run from recycled materials! 

• Posted

Anyone use the Diva Cup? Have a friend who does and she loves it. I may invest in one.
    • Posted

Or what about washable organic pads?
    • Posted

That was good affirmation to realize that there is a reason why these pads cause irritation.  Same for toilet paper. Thank you Piper.
    • Posted

The worry I have is that they will leak.  

My daughter uses the diva cup and is happy with that.  

• Posted

I need a pad of some sort. 
    • Posted

If you mean the diva cup - she said that it first took some getting used and placing it right.  After that she was very happy with it.  Went camping in the wildernis with it.  
    • Posted

Yes, I meant the diva cup. I'm very tempted to get one. Would (hopefully) keep menstrual fluid and pads off the LS skin.
    • Posted

Meanwhile I found some additional info on this topic, after I searched for dioxin free pads.

It seems that there are already people who try to take action against certain companies and they push for full disclosure labelling.  It reads (and I signed it) as follows:

We need to know ahead of time how to avoid rayon, pesticide residue, GMO cotton, dioxins, chemical toxins, petrochemicals and plastic - often found in conventional feminine hypiene products. We need to have full disclosure labelling on tampons and pads so that women can make informed decisions when it comes to the products we buy.

It is worse than I thought even. 

• Posted

They also list safer alternatives and one of their recommendations is: the diva cup, among other. 
    • Posted

That's disgusting... Horrifying. I'm appalled. Thanks so much for this eye opening thread.
    • Posted

You're welcome. Let's just hope that many women become aware of what's happening and find alternatives.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.