What about the pads we have used and still use? What harm could they have caused?

Posted , 10 users are following.

We all have used them, or still use them - hygiene pads or whatever they are called, for our monthly periods.   Even the one's made of 'cotton' and are 'breathable' are now soon an irritation down below.

There are so many women nowadays suffering from LS, it makes one wonder whether the use of 'throw away pads' has made LS worse or has even a share in the cause of LS.  

Anyone else having thoughts on this? 

0 likes, 81 replies

81 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm buying different brand names and stores own brands to try out, one or two seem to irritate and cause itching.  Some incontinent pads I find too thick and uncomfortable to use
  • Posted

Hi Hanny,

You may be on to something there.  Here is some info I found on-line today:

How do tampons and pads get that ultra-white “clean” look? Usually chlorine bleach, which can create toxic dioxin and other disinfection by-products (DBPs) such as trihalomethane. Studies show dioxin collects in your fatty tissues. According to an EPA draft report, dioxin is a serious public health threat that has no “safe” level of exposure! Published reports show that even trace dioxin levels may be linked to:

• Abnormal tissue growth in the abdomen and reproductive organs 

• Abnormal cell growth throughout the body 

• Immune system suppression

• Hormonal and endocrine system disruption

Maybe people who are genetically susceptible to LS are triggered by these chemicals?

Anna

• Posted

That is some serious info you found Anna.  Are we onto somethng here?  Are each of us extra susceptible to what is in the pads?  

This may require some further investigating, don't you think.  

When I came back from the hospital they gave me another kind of pad, and somehow this kind felt so very comfortable.  But the smaller ones, even though it says 'cotton' on the package irritate too soon, so I started to use them less and less.  

• Posted

I have been looking into the dioxin a bit further as well, and indeed is scary.  Thing is - what can we as consumers of these products do?

Number one - no longer purchase these products of course.  But what can we use instead, as far as I know all of these pads are suspect by me.  Unless we go back to the very old style - to use a washable kind again. 

• Posted

Hi, I wonder can we buy washable incontinent pads. I don't see any difference to nappies. I am certain they would be more comfortable. I imagine it is a problem to keep them in place and they would need special knickers. Any thoughts anyone. Can you imagine the legal consequences if it is found that these pads have made our condition worse or even in some cases caused it. Mind boggling. I have to admit that I have thought this myself on numerous occasions when my soreness has been directly related to a pad I have worn.
    • Posted

This leaves me concerned but I don't know what the answer is. I'm too young to have used the washable ones. I would assume they were cloth. At this point, the wet cloth against our diseased skin would be irritating. What to do, what to do...
    • Posted

I really wouldn't be surprised if this constant exposure, month after month, year after year took a toll on those of us who are more vulnerable to toxins. In this modern world toxins are everywhere, and overwhelming our immune systems.  I'm past the age where I need pads, but if I knew then, what I know now, I'd have searched out other options. I'm not sure there's anything we can do about it, since it would be hard to prove.  Just getting the word out to young women at least would be helpful. 
    • Posted

It concerns me the same way. I have no answers yet, only questions.  The most valuable thing is - to know that this material is hurting us for a reason. Next is - what will work as an alternative?
    • Posted

Same questions I have - what to do?  

My mother in her days used the washable ones and they certainly were not perfect.  But we live in 2016 in a world that has all kinds of new technical fabrics.  I'm thinking in that direction.  But have still no answer.

• Posted

I think also that it will be important for all women to know that the use of these pads is not without causing harm to themselves.  

Also - I think it will be important that the very industry should look into alternatives and 'better for your health' pads/tampons/diapers etc.  

• Posted

Yes, the industry should look into this, but unfortunately most corporations are more concerned about profit than any harm their products might cause.  Usually they don't make any changes unless there is pressure on them (like many going non-gmo after the public stopped buying those things).

I haven't researched it because I don't need these anymore, but are there organic, unbleached pads?  If so, I'm guessing they are much more expensive.  It might be a great company to start for some savvy entrepreneur!

• Posted

I think we have to be careful here. We don't know for sure that they cause our ls but it would be great if someone could at least investigate the possibility. It would be good to know how many of us became sore when using sanitary pads. Which brands we used and which caused problems for us. It might be worth a survey again. Unfortunately I don't know how to organise that. Any takers?
    • Posted

I don't recall being sore after using pads Chrisy my problems were after the menopause, like Iv said before I think it's related to the abnormal cells and Hpv Xx
    • Posted

Yes probably hormonal too. But I do think we need to be careful and collate experiences.

• Posted

I was thinking also about older women who need certain pads for leakage.  The same problem will arise.  It won't be good for those who struggle with LS.  

It's just - how can we make the world change its attitude.  To make it unacceptable that pads should cause such harm to women.  We're talking about all ages actually.  Our daughters and our grandmothers and all in between. But how do you tackle it?

At present 'organic' and 'evironmental' and such costs us indeed more, while it shouldn't.  I have no answer as yet. Other than becoming innovative ourselves. 

• Posted

Good point, Hanny.  I hadn't thought about pads for older women.  At least this forum is educating us all, and hopefully helping younger women who are still using the products.  

I just saw an ad on TV regarding a class action lawsuit against a baby powder company, who knew that talcum powder can cause ovarian cancer, yet continuned to sell their products anyway. In the final analysis, we have to be vigilant about our own well being.

• Posted

Over the years, I have used many different brands of sanitary pads (in the US).  None of them were unbleached. I'm not sure the brand matters if they all bleach the pads. I've had itching and burning going on for many years before I was diagnosed with LS.  Were the pads to blame?  Who knows, but something is causing the problem, and since recent articles have pointed out the toxins in these products, it seems likely that they had some effect.  Here is a link to the article I quoted: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/feminine-hygiene-products_b_3359581.html
    • Posted

Yes, we all have to be vigilant.  And we have to realize also how powerful word of mouth is in our present world.  When people become aware, the manufacturer will feel it in an economical way eventually. Which is still the best educator for businesses.  Pass it on to your daughters, if you have one, pass it on to your friends and neighbours.  All women need to know, don't your think.  
    • Posted

I 'always' got sore after using pads. I'm past menopause now, but my daughter is just coming up to puberty so I have bought her supplies from a health food shop. Hopefully they'll be a better option but now I'm alarmed. Good topic.
    • Posted

I think you're doing a good thing for your daughter.  An informed person counts for two.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.