What about the pads we have used and still use? What harm could they have caused?

Posted , 10 users are following.

We all have used them, or still use them - hygiene pads or whatever they are called, for our monthly periods.   Even the one's made of 'cotton' and are 'breathable' are now soon an irritation down below.

There are so many women nowadays suffering from LS, it makes one wonder whether the use of 'throw away pads' has made LS worse or has even a share in the cause of LS.  

Anyone else having thoughts on this? 

0 likes, 81 replies

81 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It makes me wonder that after using tampons for almost 30 years that maybe the reason for me having LS could down to them, especially after reading the report. I started using tampons in the 50s so what research was going on then 
    • Posted

There hasn't been much research on these things for a long time, I think.  And also - I know I was never questioning the comfort and secure feelings the moderns pads gave.  They weren't leaking for one, they didn't need to be washed.  I saw it at the time as a great improvement over the fabric ones.  What did we know about dioxin?  Nothing.  

But at present, the use of the smallest pad causes irritation. Now what to do?  

• Posted

I have problems with liners but not with mini size incontinence pads. It seams to be certain makes that cause me probs. The ones I can use start with a double figure number. I just have to make sure that nothing rubs.
    • Posted

Is there a make that you would recommend Chrisy?

• Posted

I prefer not to actually recommend things as those replies tend to be moderated and also what suits one does not suit another. I did give some hints in my comments above as to what I use and not use but I even find their and all liners are no good for me as they tend to be a bit rough so I use the mini pads to catch accidents as that is all I need then change quickly. They are a popular brand which tends to suggest they are OK and I also find they protect me from being rubbed sore when I wear trousers.
    • Posted

Understood.

As long as we all are aware of what is in 'them things' we can purchase perhaps a better product.  Let's hope.  

• Posted

Using a menstrual cup and using a washcloth instead of toilet paper has helped so much with my LS symptoms. Perhaps LS is a result of long term irritation to the vulva skin--from several different things--which might include toxins, yeast, urine, bacteria and abnormal ph levels. It is very delicate skin, but not much thought is given about how to care for it.
    • Posted

I noticed it myself too, after I had not used a pad for a while.  I wanted to protect my clothing and the result was - an irritated skin.  And that got me thinking.  

You were doing the right thing - using a washcloth.  I think that the rinsing also is a better form of cleaning down there.  

The people that did some research mentioned the harmful affects the long term use of these pads and tampons can have on women.  Not pretty.  

Of course we can not proof that LS would be a result of the toxins in the pads. Yet, these toxins, in particular dioxin, accumulate in the fat and does not dissolve.  And can affect our immune system.  

Would there be research done on LS and what causes it - here is in my opinion a definate lead to explore further.    

• Posted

Hello, I haven't used pads since my kids were born22 years ago, and then only at night. So no periods at all with the mirena for over 20 years. So I don't think the pads were a cause at all. I was just diagnosed today. I mean, whatever next? They should write about it in woman's magazines so we can at least all be aware of what to look out for!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.