What always triggers your LS symptoms?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Most of us that post on here know that Sugar is the main problem for LS.

That being said there are other triggers and I thought it would be interesting for people to say and share what causes a flare up for them from time to time.

I have a lot of food intolerances/allergies.  The other day I ate an ice cream lolly for a treat and the next day my backside was itchy, but worse my clitoris was hurting.  On closer examination, I discovered that Guar Gum was in the lolly which I'm allergic to.  Fortunately for me, I used the Clob cream for a couple of days and I am fine now...but that's how quickly I react.

On another occasion, I was trying some different Meds for another health issue and I had an allergic reaction to it which resulted in a breakout of ulcers in my mouth and on and around my Vjay.  Fortunately, I was ok after a couple of days. 

On a day to day basis I am fine, only when I eat something that my body is not happy with will I get some LS symptoms.

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How fortunate for you that you can identify the culprit so quickly.  For others it takes a while.  Continued good well being to you.

• Posted

Thank you Susan.  I do Kinesiology (muscle testing) and that helps me pinpoint anything that I have eaten that disagrees with me real quick.
  • Posted

Kinesiology (muscle testing) ?  I'm going to look that up.  Sounds fascinating.

• Posted

Wheat!!! For SURE. I also get teeny tiny blister like bumps on my cheeks if I eat any wheat.
  • Posted

I have only been diagnosed a month ago , it seems to be settling with the clob , haven’t really changed my diet , but was vegetarian before and have gradually reintroduced chicken and fish , don’t eat sugar really anyway, the only thing I have done is stop drinking red wine as it gives me horrendous night sweats all of a sudden . Just interested , how long does it take for your anatomy to settle down ? I can’t look anymore it is becoming very ugly  xxxx
    • Posted

Hi Jane, red wine is extremely high in sulfites, salicylates and histamine which is probably why you have had trouble. If I were to have just one glass of red wine I would be extremely ill.  The night sweats is your body telling you to listen.   

I do believe if you stop taking something that has aggravated your system then you should start to feel better after a couple of weeks or so.  Sometimes it is not just one thing that causes problems and that's why some people use a food diary for a while.

• Posted

Thank you , i also have noticed other medication and food intolerances having a huge effect.

As i have had an ear infection and antibiotic drops for my ears and i have had an outbreak after almost feeling better 🤦🏻???

LS keeps us on our toes 😵

• Posted

Yeah, I'm histamine intolerant..seriously so.  If I over indulge then you can bet I'm going to suffer for it..its usually an itchy butt, that kind of thing, its not too serious but its not something you want.  I wouldn't be at all surprised that the antibiotic triggered a reaction for you.

• Posted

For me the biggest problem is menstrual blood. Makes everything sore and rash-like, very red and tender. And yes, sugar. I've been sugar-free for a month and excluding it seems to control my PMT; the thrush-like itch as the period looms and flare-ups during the rest of the month.

I'm going to try gluten-free soon as I've read plenty of cases where people report it helps their LS.

• Posted

I think heat is a possible trigger for me.  I did very well from February to April but as soon as the 80-85 degree days hit in May, I had a flare.  It's starting to subside but I've had to use my steroid ointment twice a day, A&D diaper cream, ice packs, and wear dresses more days than not to get it to calm down.

• Posted

Thanks everyone that's interesting to know.  I do think blood and heat are a big trigger and that's why exercise has to be something that doesn't get you sweating too much.  I wonder if sperm causes problems too, I wouldn't be surprised.   

On a different matter, I've started using my bidet when I go to Pee instead of the toilet.  It is a nice way to get yourself really clean quickly, and I just use a soft towel afterwards.  This eliminates the need for toilet rolls and using a spray bottle every time.  

• Posted

Hi, just to give a male perspective on this, I realise most males are very fortunate in comparison to the horrendous issues most of you ladies have to endure.  Also, I enjoy reading about the tips and things to try that are mentioned in these Discussion Forums.  I was diagnosed with BXO / LS 7+ years ago, but have a suspicion that the beginnings of the condition were present in my teenage years - I am 61 YOA now. 

Anyway, the only thing that triggers my symptoms is if I neglect to apply Clobetasol for 3 or 4 consecutive days.  One or two days with no application is usually okay, therefore my tendency is to apply at least every other day.

In terms of foods, I take no food supplement at all for LS, only for joint and physical mobility (Cod Liver Oil [includes Vit A & D] & Glucosamine Sulphate, 1000mg).  However, I have had a suspicion of a wheat / gluten intolerance for many years - and this seems particularly bad when I have had lots of breads, in addition to eating pizza, and annoyingly, at least one OTHER ingredient I have never been able to identify.

Your comment on sperm, just as with male pre-ejaculate and urine - I would suggest it is an essential to keep these well-away from ANY LS infected areas.  Therefore, for any sexually active woman with LS - to put it simply (and, while I know such conversation topics are not always easy to speak about), if your partner really respects you they need to be instructed to remove anything that originates from the penis from the skin surface, immediately.  I would suggest keeping a small towel / face cloth that is used for this purpose only ....

• Posted

Hi lovely to hear it from a mans  prospective.

As it sure is a difficult thing to manage for all ages and sexes.

I have tried out various other things ( cornflour , lavender mixed with castor oil , olive oil , nappy rash cream, ) but all sadly make me sore .

I know vaseline is not natural but it seems to be my salvation and occasional coconut oil but that does not work daily . 

I have found using two drops of frankincence essential oil with castor oil helps the anal itch 🤗

Also regarding your comment re for sexually active among us i have to ask my partner to ejaculate away from my labia as it stings .

LS is a lifestyle changer but within this wonderful group i have learnt so much and do not feel as alone .Or at first like my love  life was over , we make adjustments and keep going and trying new ideas 🤗   

• Posted

Hi, thanks, yes its good to hear from males on the forum.  It sounds like your LS is very persistent and you need to keep a constant eye on it, and yes, I believe you are correct regarding removing sperm asap.
    • Posted

Thank you for your inciteful reply Susan.  Having just reminded myself of the base constituent of Vaseline / Petroleum Jelly - I would not dare take the risk of putting this anywhere near my penis, as, it is a likelihood that the root-cause of my LS is exposing my penis to excessive amounts of petroleum based ointments and creams.

I did this from around 16YOA onwards over the following 4 decades. Initially, to help 'self-cure' Phimosis / very tight foreskin - and it is the exposure to ointments / creams, combined with the damaged skin tissue where I managed over an extended period of many months to separate-out the fused layers of foreskin from one-another that is the site / location of my LS, other than the glans / head of the penis, additionally.

One of the suggestions on here that I have tried was to use plain olive oil.  I tried this for a few days and it exacerbated my symptoms / scarring.  As I say, I feel the skin at the head of my penis has developed a dermatological reaction to anything that is oil based, whether this is a natural oil, or a petroleum based product.

ESSENTIALLY, what I would like you Ladies to understand is that if you have teenage males in your family that are uncircumcised is that (usually) around the age of 14 - 16 YOA the male foreskin should be undergoing the natural process of separation.  If a foreskin remains fully-adhered to one another, and the glans / head cannot be exposed by the age of 18, then it needs to be medically checked-out. And, as I have retained my foreskin, I am not an advocate of circumcision.  Stretching the foreskin, starting very gently at first, will likely achieve eventual full-exposure of the head of the penis within anywhere between 2 and 10 or more months of gradual increased pressure stretching.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.