What are the benefits of regular physical activity?

Posted , 9 users are following.

What are the benefits of regular physical activity? How can our old age people follow this?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Before I had my TKR, I spoke to an 80 year old who lives nearby & she said "Don't" - as she'd never got over it. I'm early 60's, & so want to be active again, so obviously went ahead. I've seen her since & she confessed she never did any excercises except on her weekly physio appointment. My knee, at 10 weeks & a slow bending recovery due to problems, looks a million times better than hers, which was done 2 years ago. It has to be drummed in that very little, but often, is better than none at all. Small walks around the house, bending the knee as far as you can, it doesn't matter if you think it hardly bends - it is still moving it, small lunges holding onto a piece of furniture to assist balance - in fact, anything at all that moves it - including massaging it yourself with low cost face creams (Q10 - Aldi & Lydl, both at £1.49) will slowly improve it day by day. I'm convinced I had 2 steps forward & one step back for the first 5 weeks, but can now see & feel an improvement. Our elderly forum readers can take heart that we all have different rates of recovery, but with determination, will get there.
    • Posted

I am having to grit my teeth and force myself to do the hardest exercises but i can see the benefit of it. My muscle tone is improving and my leg can straighten. Little and often is a very good method as well as my official daily routine. I never skip my routine even if it is painful. I just go back to the beginning and build that exercise up again. Also around the house as you suggested. And ice, lots of it!
    • Posted

Next time I go near Aldi or Lydl I will stock up on the cream you just mentioned 

I bought some Bio oil yesterday £8.85 far too expensive by far then I went to £1 land and bought some baby oil I should have gone there first.

we live and learn 

Jean 

• Posted

I recommend that you read the book "Younger Next Year" by Crowley and Lodge. It should be everyone's health bible but especially if you have joint issues. I am 55 but have had hereditary and sport (and heavy work on the farm) joint issues since I was 11. If I take life too easy I am in pain. If I stay active, life is good and my body is mostly painfree. I am looking forward to enjoying new knees (both in 2014) and being active the rest of my life. Muscles, fitness and our engagement in life are all in the use it or lose it category! I believe this with all my being!
    • Posted

I've just downloaded the book to my Kindle that you reccomended

i can't wait to read it 

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Kanan

I'm 76 and manage the physio quite well I've also bought a little pedal exerciser which I use every day as I can't walk too far due to a problem with my spine.

we find other ways to do the exercises and to be honest as we no longer work we have all day to fit some sort of exercise in.

but it's lovely that you are thinking about us O.A.Ps biggrin

• Posted

Kanan, as I've mentioned on numerous occasions, my wife is in advancing stages of Parkinson's disease. Every couple of years we attend a symposium of patients and car givers presented by the local university medical schools parkinsons research director. Over the years the school has been in studies nationally and internationally withbothers. They have looked at vitamins, etc. This years disclosure , the best possible help is 25 minutes of moderate excercise. Walking 1st and light stretching 2nd. My wife starting the program  and within a week I could tell the difference in balance 1st and then strength. In our neighborhood the sidewalk is on just one side of the street. When she started she could barely make it across the street and back. She has a walker with lockable wheels and a seat. She would have to sit after crossing the street, then again when she returned. After 2.5 weeks she was able to go all the way to the end and back without stopping. (Over 200 yds total). She is 77 so this gives you a glimpse of excercise and its value. Also, once you start you'll go backwards if you stop. If you achieve a bend of 115 and you stop all excercise chances are you will be back to 105 in 3 weeks. The older you are the faster you'll deteriorate.
    • Posted

This story is inspirational! I recently read an article about a study that found regular exercise started in seniors homes showed previously sedentary people who were on walkers being able to set them aside as they got stronger, people being able to use walkers instead of wheelchairs and even bed ridden 85+ year olds able to get out of bed. Exercise is the best prescription in healthcare but it doesn't further the drug trade, nor does it make Doctors money so it is rarely given as a preventative recommendation. By the way: I am at 9 weeks today and swam 10 lengths before my 5 days a week, 1 hour long aquasize class! I think I have broken my recovery plateau. My flexion is now 90 and I did a few kickturns for fun, though I did use only my 11 month old knee to push off the wall. Woohoo!
    • Posted

I also think as well as physical exercise we have to keep our brains active

any kind of activity knitting/ crochet/  reading/ writing / and of course there are more and more elderly people using the internet

our bodies may be feeble at times but more often than not the brain is active and we have to keep it stimulated.

Jean (76) 

• Posted

The walker is preventative. For those that aren't familiar, Parkinson's patients are a fall risk and insteadcof falling forward they call backwarks. Its the internal mechanism in the brain that causes it. The patient can just be standing upright and balanced then boom....flat on their back. I've witnessed this twice with my wife. Fortunately, she didntvhit her head or break anything.
    • Posted

I have a friend with Parkinsons so I understand everything you're saying 
  • Posted

I am almost 70 & being fit & active hopefully will never go into a care home. Exercise prevents loss of bone density & prevents fractures even with falls. Mobility prevents developement of pressure sores and boredom sitting in one place all the time. Exercise increases the circulation promoting cardiac healthy, lowering blood pressure, helps in prevention of type 2 diabetes Just to be going on with

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.