What are we eating and what's bad for our LS?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm learning in this forum that one girl's treat is another's poison. There's no one right diet. Here's what I eat:

I make my own yogurt with excellent organic small-local-dairy whole milk and started from a local cheesemaking supplies place. I preserve my garden's fruit and use it in the yogurt. We have organic oatmeal most days for breakfast, with our neighbours' maple syrup and fruit and yogurt. Lunch is usually great seedy bread and nut butter. Suppers are vegetable-intensive with small servings of meat. Even when we have burgers or sausages on a white bun (which is about the worst thing we ever eat) it's local organic artisan pork and local grass-fed beef. If I snack at night it's organic cereal and almond milk.

We've cut out all the bad stuff in the last six months. I was very lucky that my husband's nurse practitioner told him to lose twenty or thirty pounds. Instantly I was able to stop buying him chips and chocolate, pies and butter tarts. And I only bake occasionally, an oatmeal fruit crisp.

Recently I've learned that a big piece of chocolate cake or a large ice cream cone or two butter tarts are all too much even for an occasional treat. I get a blowtorch butt immeditaely. It's been extra good in the month or so since I quit that.

I drink two cups of organic coffee brewed through paper and two five-ounce glasses of make-your-own red wine (less preservative in it that off-the shelf)

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I should say my LS has been stable for the year since my diagnosis, using clobetasol the minumum, maintenance so 50 g. lasted a year.
  • Posted

Hi Morrell, your diet sounds great. I'm not sure it will help LS of course, lol, but hey, anything we can do to make ourselves feel better is good. We mustn't let the LS drag us down.

Had LS about,  I think,  11 or 12 years and it was fairly settled for quite some time, clobetasol twice a weeek, but last two weeks it is well out of order and I don't know for the life of me why this is.

Off to eat my organic porridge now! confused

• Posted

Actually Joodie, that was half my motive posting this. I have what many would say is a pretty darned ideal diet.

But I have LS.

I think stress is much more important, and decades of accumulated stress isn't easily shaken off.

• Posted

Too right - years of stress has a price to pay and we seem to be paying that price

The sad thing is that the young today appear to have even MORE stressors in ther lives than we have had

• Posted

I have some scientific research and easy action tips all women could easily implement to manage the stress (which always seemed to exacerbate my symptoms). The link is here: _____

I was diagnosed with CFS, fibro and depression back in 2003 and lived with it from 2001 - 2009. I am now fully recovered, thriving and teaching women how to break out of the viscous painful cycle.

Patient Moderator Note: I have removed an URL (a link) from this reply as it was unsuitable for inclusion within these forums. If any user is interested in this removed information they should contact the author via the Private Messaging system requesting such. Thank you for your cooperation.

patient.info/forums/discuss/adding-links-to-posts-257271

patient.info/forums/discuss/private-messages-226361

• Posted

My diet is variable Summer and winter tend tend to differ. At the moment i have salads- lettuce cucumber pepper carrot- love them finely shredded - sun dried toms fresh toms marinated garlic raw cabbage and any other seasonal veg- asparagus home grown raw peas beans. Hard boiled eggs (organic and free range) taramasalta various cheeses smaked fish - hard soft and blue French gooey ones - Wonderful- If I lunch out depending with whom I am dining I like fish pies/ Thai and Indian food /soups /steak/ fish and chips. I make a lot of soups from vegetables in the winter. Recently to lose weight I have reduced the amount of seeded bread I eat to virtually none - perhaps 2 slices a week max Fruit - I love bananas and oranges and all the citris family. Seldom eat meat or fish - but this is because cooking for one isnt as much fun as cooking for those who enjoy my food(I am said to be a Good Cook she said boastfully) I LOVE the soft meringues of Australia Cream teas on occasion with clotted cream - but i dont drink milk- do use it for cooking eat butter - never butter subsitutes - if that is all that is available I go without. I snack on plain nuts - not peanuts - and dried fruit. Not a cake or biscuit eater - LOVE  cheese AND wine- but again to lose weight I go on the wagon for weeks at a time. Drink stacks of water carbonated if I can - had kidney stones when 17 and never want to repeat THAT pain! I yearn for roast chicken /beef park /lamb with all the trimmings - but again for one not worth doing esp as the left overs get to be boring and  they get lost  for ever in the freezer- Strong coffee once or twice a day, weak black  tea or fruit teas some times Love ginger

Hope that hasnt put you all to sleep!

• Posted

So, three of us already: healthy diets, LS. Hmmm.

• Posted

My diet has always been on the 'healthy side' otherwise i would be the size of a barrage balloon! hence my dismissal of diet as a cause of auto immune conditions.

Because of the diverticulitis caused I believe when I had a series of lunch time meetings where sandwiches on white bread were served- and the working days were long and eating late in the evening meant snatched snacks after a long train journey home . A week on an antibiotic drip morphine and PAIN convinced me; and I resolved leaves roots and fruits - with some proteins thrown in were my best bet. Because i could hold my liqueur and could eat a whole box of chocs- these had to go too- can't drink and think, and chocs became too rich For many years I have opposed the use of antibiotics in animals feed as a routine so I try and stick with organic when possible and when I found the number of chemicals and pregnancies cows had to keep them lactating  I thought not for me! That is the first time iI have 'fessed up to the real reason why I dont drink milk in tea or coffee- or indeed neat! LS was after ACUTE stress on top of chronic stress (i used to get chest pains when my  husband walked into the room- he was Mr Angry and I would tense up -- the lack of proper breathing caused the pains - I had rapid response to chest pain investigations and was found to be very healthy 'cept for not breathing properly!)

• Posted

I believe the Mister Angries of the world have a lot more impact on our systems than food. I lived with one for fifteen years. And ate his meat-and-potatoes-and-dessert diet. But now that we have the chronic inflammation, food can help or hinder.
    • Posted

Everyone's metabolism is different and my view the most we should do is we should promote a healthy varied diet, if some have food allergies those will be on an individual basis and should be treated individually and holistically. Broad sweeping statements should be kept to the minimum as the auto immune conditions we have are so very different - one to another. It is good that you have found what works for you, and that you have shared that information as your experience may motivate others and who knows may affect their course of the condition in a similar manner

Best wishes to you  Jen

• Posted

I read two books that changed my idea of healthy eating--Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" and T. Colin Campbell's "The China Study". I changed to a vegetable-based diet, cutting out dairy, refined white flours and sugars, and processed foods. Within a month or two, my symptoms of Lichen Sclerosis dissappeared. I had not expected anything but weight loss and renewed energy. I got a whole lot more than that-- relief from a very uncomfortable condition!
    • Posted

The China Study was huge for me. I was a super healthy vegetarian for ten years, during which both my psoriasis and LS went up and down. About a year or so ago I decided to meet my husband in the middle, so he's eating widly more healthy food than he ever has before and I'm eating healthy food I enjoy with a bit more meat than I'd choose if I were alone. But his health and our harmony carry more weight than my stubbornness. He still is eating a fair bit more meat than I am.

I've really decided recently that sugar is the biggest food threat to my LS. My Chinese doctor had me straightened out on sugar twelve years ago and I'm feeling better all the time, with less desire to eat more than I need of anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.