What are we eating and what's bad for our LS?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm learning in this forum that one girl's treat is another's poison. There's no one right diet. Here's what I eat:

I make my own yogurt with excellent organic small-local-dairy whole milk and started from a local cheesemaking supplies place. I preserve my garden's fruit and use it in the yogurt. We have organic oatmeal most days for breakfast, with our neighbours' maple syrup and fruit and yogurt. Lunch is usually great seedy bread and nut butter. Suppers are vegetable-intensive with small servings of meat. Even when we have burgers or sausages on a white bun (which is about the worst thing we ever eat) it's local organic artisan pork and local grass-fed beef. If I snack at night it's organic cereal and almond milk.

We've cut out all the bad stuff in the last six months. I was very lucky that my husband's nurse practitioner told him to lose twenty or thirty pounds. Instantly I was able to stop buying him chips and chocolate, pies and butter tarts. And I only bake occasionally, an oatmeal fruit crisp.

Recently I've learned that a big piece of chocolate cake or a large ice cream cone or two butter tarts are all too much even for an occasional treat. I get a blowtorch butt immeditaely. It's been extra good in the month or so since I quit that.

I drink two cups of organic coffee brewed through paper and two five-ounce glasses of make-your-own red wine (less preservative in it that off-the shelf)

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm seeing lots of talk that's very technical about anti-inflammatory diets. I have lots of friends doing various versions of them. Reading this bit kind of reinforces my feeling that I'm mostly eating pretty anti-inflammatory.

"A number of nutritionists and physicians have developed anti-inflammatory diets. Christopher Cannon, a Harvard professor of medicine, co-wrote The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Anti-Inflammation Diet. Dr. Cannon says his recommended diet is based on both the Mediterranean diet and a Healthy Eating Pyramid developed at Harvard University. This encourages consuming whole-grain foods, unsaturated fats such as plant oils, fruits, vegetables, nuts, fish, poultry, eggs and moderate amounts of dairy foods. It also suggests avoiding as much as possible red meat, butter, sweets and white foods such as rice, potatoes and pasta."

I've been replacing white wheat pasta with gluten-free quinoa pasta, I use brown rice and we really don't eat potatoes that often. I think I could eat much less white bread. My sweets are way down.

So, now that I've cut out coffee, reduced my sugar intake hugely, I could really try to get rid of white bread.

The New Science Behind America's Deadliest Diseases, Wall Street Journal, July 2012

• Posted

It's easy and tasty to use sweet potatoes rather than white.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.