What are your thoughts on holistic vs mainstream medicine for symptoms?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi Ladies.

What a relief to find this forum and not feel so alone going through this.

I'm really into nutrition and holistic health/wellness, and I try to avoid mostly all conventional or mainstream medicine. I'm very alternative in that way.

Now going through the lovely, typical peri-menopause symptoms and experiences, from heavy bleeding to anxiety to hair loss.  Difficult and unpleasant for sure.   ARGGH.

Meanwhile, I exercise, take a lot of vitamins, eat a very clean diet, use herbs, etc. and try to get my head around the fact that this is one of life's normal, natural, expected transitions and yeah, it's gonna hurt.  Just try to go with the flow, so to speak LOL

But I wonder if I'm doing myself a disservice by rejecting anything allopathic. (HRT, birth control pills, Tranexamic, IUDs, etc.) that might make things easier for me.

What are your thoughts on holistic vs mainstream medicine for your symptoms?

What natural alternatives work for you?

Has modern medicine really made a positive difference for you?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, I'm also very much against allopathic medicine but like you, am getting to the point where I need to take something because the natural stuff is really not helping. I went to see a herbalist and was taking various tinctures for about 5 months for peri menopausal symptoms and adrenal exhaustion, which include very frequent temperature fluctuations - sometimes as much as 5 times an hour. I took a break from the tinctures when I went on holiday and actually thought I felt better for not taking them so gave them up. Temp fluctuations are so bad though that I started taking A Vogel sage tincture together with their Menosan tablets. But last weekend I gave myself a break again and again noticed that things seemed to ease off. I'm just not certain that my issues are peri-menopausal because it's strange that these so called "helpers" are not necessarily helpful to me. It is becoming unmanageable - I sit in an air conditioned office where I spend the day permanently frozen - but interspersed with regular temperature rises where I feel I get so hot that Im going to expire. This makes me panic/feel anxious - I have to get my clothes off quickly and get outside if I can otherwise I feel terribly claustrophobic like Im going to suffocate. So either the natural stuff doesn't work, or Im taking the wrong things i.e. am not in peri-menopause. I feel like I ovulate as I still get the monthly changes but I have no period (I have 3 or 4 per year). At 44, this has been going on for 4 years now and getting worse so I'm at my wits end about whether to take HRT - I'm against western men's AND not convinced it's menopause but don't know where to go next and Im starting to get depressed at the thought of feeling so rubbish all the time (fatigue, exhaustion, incontinence, constipation, terrible nails, ...) and worried that this is what Ill be like for the rest of my life. So I understand your dilemma.... I would go with the A Vogel/similar supplements with soy isoflavones (phytoestrogens) and sage tincture to see if they help you.... exercise and water are super important - and avoiding coffee, alcohol and smoking - oh and stress but that's a tricky one for most of us!! I also only use natural products on my body/hair/skin, and toothpaste - no nasty chemicals to reduce the toxic overload. Good gut health - I take VSL 3 for a month every quarter and this really seems to "re-set" things. Also liver support to deal with the hormone elimination so maybe some milk thistle... hope some of these work for you...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.