What can help Muscle Tension from anxiety? (THROAT &Chest pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been having constantly tensed shoulders that shrug up constantly and I constantly catch myself with it. I also notice it with my legs and face.. now I'm getting weird chest and throats tension aswell in my neck. And it's really starting to bother me.. I know it's anxiety as I've been to many doctors and have many tests done.. but I just don't want to get on a muscle relaxer to temporarily stop this issue. I was wondering has anyone had this issue? What have you done to stop this?

Will SSRIs help with this issue? I also have Burning skin and racing heart from anxiety .. So I might just have to get on something.. but I was looking into acupuncture or Massages or seeing a chiropractor. I haven't been active as much so I feel maybe all that energy is stuck in my muscles. I'm not sure what to do anymore : (

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Defiantly TRY to get back to being active!!   It makes a difference.  I haven't been exercising the last couple months and I feel the tension in the middle of my back/ neck shoulders...    I know a regular routine helps deal with stress.  Try to do something every day...  Acupuncture helped  me-- the lady was so sweet and caring!!!    How about stretching (Yoga) when your at home feeling the tension?

• Posted

Thanks Kelly I'm happy to hear the acupuncture helped you! My mom said her arthritis pain left and never came back after her first acupuncture session so I'm happy to hear it works for anxiety. I know I have a lot of tension so I'm hoping the acupuncture will release it. I will definatly try yoga and see if it helps. How much do you think acupuncture has helped you with anxiety? In what areas exactly I'm just curious?

I do minor exercises at home. Just high reps 4-6 sets every other day but maybe I need to do more

• Posted

I'm sure reps help but try cardio too.  You didn't say if you go to the gym to do reps but if you do, jump on a cardio machine for 20 minutes also..  I don't belong to a gym but I have a treadmill that I used to jog on.   When it's nice out go for a long walks or take a bike-ride.  This morning I went swimming and I don't feel tense at all..  : )   So it works, just try something everyday! I know what you mean about energy being zapped--  I have no energy either but I'm fighting thru it..  Exercise has so many benefits and it has to be part of your everyday life just like eating and drinking.   As far as acupuncture, I have done this and it has helped with tension BUT I believe exercise was part of that release too..  I did have a stiff neck and shoulder pain once and the acupuncture helped without a doubt!! Try it and see if it helps you.   If you feel that neither is helping with aniexty/tension then try SSRI. I don't want to take muscle relaxers so I'm trying others options.

• Posted

I had to stop going to the gym because my anxiety was too high. So I do what I can at home. I use my treadmill and bike for cardio. And for weights I use my adjustable bench press which can do all the compound movements for all body parts (bench press flat and incline / shoulder press and military press / squat and rows and deadlifts ect. But I go very slow because when I workout I get brainfog and like a off balance feeling it's weird. But I will try the acupuncture definatly Thanks thank you !

• Posted

I have been having the most annoying pain in my left jaw and left shoulder blade.. Its my newest anxiety symptom.. Hold your hands behind your back if you can and stretch your chest. Hold it for 15 seconds. My chiropractor gave me that advice, along to make sure I exercise or else your muscles do tend to all get tight and uncomfortable.. Meds or therapy would probably do you a ton of good. My HR used to be around 116 sitting at the doctors.. Now on meds and my HR is around 98, and that's during a full panic attack. Let me know if you try acupuncture, I've heard a ton of things about it.

• Posted

Awesome I will try that! What kind of meds have you been on and how are they working for you? My heart rate is high too.. Around 115 during anxiety. And when I'm calm 70-85

It makes sense if you stop being active the muscles will start tightening up... my problem was I had a really bad episode of anxiety and it was so bad for months I couldn't do anything so I got inactive. I've been trying to workout more but it causes anxiety.

• Posted

I totally hear ya.. I think I'll have a heart attack if I even excersise, it got so bad at the beginning of the year that I literally refused to walk a flight of steps out of fear.

I tried celexa, and it made me way more anxious on a daily basis.. Now I am on buspar. It works very well for the most part.. I still find myself counting my heartrate though and if I have a bad anxiety day, it seems to turn into an anxiety week. We upped my meds last week, was on 10 and now I'm on 20. I'm debating going to Zoloft because I'm still not where I want to be mentally. My body has horrendous side effects if I up my dosage anymore than 20 a day.

Long story short, would i recommend buspar? Absolutely. But just make sure you give it time to fully work and make sure you tell your doctor if you think you need a dosage changed, no matter what med you decide on.

• Posted

In 2011 they started me with Celexa and it helped only at 40mg but I went to a different phsychiatrist and they switched me to welbutrin and mertazipine and that totally killed my anxiety 110% and I had it worse back then. The mertazipine helped incredibly but it has horrible weight gain. So I ended up on welbutrin and that was perfect.. within I think 4-5 months I was off them completely and the anxiety never came back until last 5 years later when I stopped exercising and eating right due to my work schedule.
    • Posted

It's good stuff but you have to fix the reasons why your getting anxiety. For me back then it was marijuana and bad diet and lack of sleep and exercise.

• Posted

Two years ago I lost weight, was eating healthy and walking almost every day. My anxiety disappeared. Now, I have gained the weight back plus more and my anxiety is the worst it has ever been! Now my muscles ache and are so stiff. It's hard for me to walk like I used to. I really need to do what I did before.

• Posted

That's so awesome to hear. I did exactly what you did in 2011 but I did it after the medication kicked in because every time I tried to workout and my heart rate went up I got chest pain and palpitations / loss of breath. How long did it take for you to start feeling better?

I'm hoping the exercise releases the muscle tension and spasms so I don't have to do meds

• Posted

Also try chamomile tea. Known to slow heartrate sometimes, loosen up muscles and bring down inflammation.
  • Posted

My doctor prescribed propranolol. It slows down your HR. It works for me. My muscles ache because I am not active and I am so tense. Anxiety really harms the body.
    • Posted

Ook I see is that like a beta blocker? They tried to put me on beta blockers but I'm scared to take it. Last time they put me on welbutrin and mertazipine when SSRIs didn't work and that killed my anxiety but I gained a lot of weight.

• Posted

I haven't gained weight and it really helps but I know what you mwan. I am not one for taking medicine. My doctor gets frustrated with me because I refuse to try medicine that she thinks will help. It's hard......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.