What caused your fibro?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hey everyone

I hope you have managed to have an easy weekend.

As the title suggests I was just curious to see what reasons people have been given for the appearance of their fibromyalgia.

Mine started about 2.5 years ago. I had nasty accident which involved me having a fall. I ruptured two ligaments in my ankle, injured my shoulder and neck.

3-4 months later I developed more widespread pain and severe stabbing pains in my shoulders, hips and knees. I also had restless legs and random twitching over my body. Then came the migraines, insomnia and exhaustion.

I was told recently by my rheumatologist that my fall caused my fibromyalgia. I can't believe I have this horrendous illness for life because of a fall!

xx

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've no idea if I have it but so many people on here think I do. My GP won't refer me. I slipped a disc 4 months ago, they sent for an MRI which picked up a ovarian cyst for which I was told might be cancerous. Just got the all clear but left with these awful symptoms. Doc thinks my body has gone into shock after emotions and physical trauma and affecting my nervous system. She happily put me on two gabapentin three times a day and tramacet but will not refer me. I'm gutted!! Was supposed to begin a degree in nursing this year but not looking hopeful now. Just wish I could afford to go private but as I've not worked for the last few months, I have no money sad

So glad of people's support on here 😊

Best wishes

Vicky 💗

• Posted

Vicky so many things can pile up on us. Don't give in, go for that nursing degree. Once in school you will have health insurance. My niece did the same thing and she was so glad she did. She had a cyst removed and knee surgery. Yet made it thru all her studies, labs and divorced with 2 kids. She is now a registered nurse and well on her way to a better future. 

I say go for it! 

((( hugs )))

H4C

• Posted

Thank you biggrin sounds very similar. Im also divorced with two girls. I just feel so unwell on a daily basis that I'm just not sure I'll be able to manage at the mo. Just wish I could predict the future lol

Weil done to your daughter you must be so proud.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Vicky, You can do it for them. Summer is almost here and sun & warm tempts help. I also was prescribed anti depressent for depression in many cases depression comes hand in hand with chronic illness. It made a world of difference for me. You might think about tryin it. Pain can interrupt dopamine that helps regulate mood swings and anti depressant helps to maintain & regulate a balance in mood and helped me feel better too!

Kind regards 

• Posted

Hey Vicky

I feel your frustrations. My fibro started about 2.5 years ago and I was only diagnosed in March this year!

My GP wouldn't listen me. It was only when fiancé came with me and had strong words with my GP that he referred me to a rheumatologist. Even then they cancelled my appointment 4 times.

I ended up going private. The rheumatologist was great in the appointment. But he wrote a short letter to my GP with nothing in about what he spoke to me about! Now my GP won't refer me to the pain clinic because he said the letter didn't have enough detail.

So incredibly frustrating and upsetting.

I really hope you get somewhere soon. Maybe take someone with you to your next appointment xxx

• Posted

Well, mone startec after a whiplash at wk, but i cant prove it was work related!! I tried, they were having none of it, that was 2008 x
  • Posted

Hi My fibro started when I had a cancer scare in 2004, and had to have tests. Everything turned out ok but it was a worrying stress full time for me and my husband. My health went down hill  from their, resulting in having to have carers in to look after me spent 4years 2012 2013 20 14 2015  in bed for 6 months over at a timehaving to be cared for.Now in wheelchair my son is my carer. x 
  • Posted

I had my appendix removed 2 months later I was pregnant and I felt really well during my pregnancy my son was born by c section and I never felt well from that day I was in so much pain that I had to sleep on my couch as I was in too much pain to carry my baby up the stairs and when he was a week old I was admitted to hospital in so much pain I was screaming it turned out I had a inflamed gallbladder and it needed to be removed but they made me wait for months because of my c section in that period of time I was admitted serval times until they finally agreed to remove it I thought I would be back to normal after that operation but that was not the case and after countless doctor appointment I finally got him to listen to me sent me to see someone at the hospital in march where I was told I have fibromyalgia I came home did some research on it and couldn't believe how there's no end in sight so now I'm just trying to accept it and learning to listen to my body try not to push myself but it's awful feel as though life is continue for everyone else and I'm stuck in my own personal hell x

• Posted

Hello naomi,

what a story and so many things to manage physically, emotionally and a new born. 

Sounds like the doctors have been difficult to cope with, which should be the least of your problems. In my experience when young women have issues such as you mentioned it's so over looked because of a young age. I had my gallbladder removed in my late 20's & suffered with acute attacks for 10 years. So I get it! 

Im so sorry u had to suffer with this for so long and the new FM diagnosis can be devastating.

do some research on the subject take a deep breath and know that FM can be managed. See a rhumey for meds to help and anti depressants help me relax & feel better & up the attitude! My glass is half full instead of half empty.  I have had FM for over 30 yrs.

I’ve learned that accepting, adapting and adopting are important skills to cultivate when you live with a chronic health condition. Difficult days can be a challenge to keep up, your energy wanes, while any sort of movement can cause pain. The simplest of activities like toting milk groceries or bending can be painful & exhausting. Learn to accomplish things at your own pace is important. Physio can help teach new safer ways to maneuver thru daily tasks.

Learning living well with FM is possible & can be blocked, all because of the F-word – FEAR! Fear, when used appropriately, keeps you safe. You are able to accurately evaluate the risks, anticipate the dangers, and decide upon a course.

take it one day at a time eat well and get rest 10-15 min at several intervals a day, will help rejuvenate your energy. My favorite is making my own protien shakes helps so much. Stay strong!

((( Hugs )))

H4C

• Posted

Hi thanks for the advice do you use supplements I have started making fruit smoothie every morning and I put d ribose in it as I read it can help chronic fatigue I have changed my diet which is pritty good tbh my problem is I struggle to get to sleep most nights I'm awake until 4 am obv I have to get up with my son around 8 and my doctor won't give me sleep meds fibromyalgia is bad enough but having a 2 year old son to care for on my own makes it so much harder and I feel guilty that I'm not being a good mother because he is stuck in the house with me a lot I can't help but feel he's missing out because of my illness x
    • Posted

I struggle with sleep too. No matter how tied I am I still need to take meds to sleep or I am awake for days. Insomnia is no joke, find a doc who will take you seriously and at least let you try something. Have you tried over the counter sleep meds? Just a thought. 

i do take lots of supplements. Eat fresh foods, no sugar or prepared foods. I make all food from scratch. Get all veggies from farmers market all organic. 

I love to experiment with all kinds of yummy smoothies. I use yogurt and whey as a base and anything goes from there. 

Take a few minutes few minutes every day to get out and move get the body movin even if it's at a crawl it will help you feel better. 

Have you tried anti depressants? They are also treatment for FM. I have been on for years and feel better. Sleep better to! take them at night with OTC sleep meds. 

I had 5 kids and had a schedule to follow all timed daily for structure including just laying down to rest for a 15 minute breaks.

Have you tried to journal your pain and sleep issues and bring with you to your dr. Sleep is very important. Also I found I was deficient in certain B vitamins, folic acid and D-3 which may also be something for you to check  as well as thyroid Or lime? 

Keep me posted.

TC&GB

• Posted

I'm very similar to you. Had an accident in 2011 where I damaged my shoulder ended up with a bursitis

And the following year diagnosed with fibro. Been a roller coaster ride ever since..

I'm definitely not the same person I was in 2011. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.