What caused your fibro?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hey everyone

I hope you have managed to have an easy weekend.

As the title suggests I was just curious to see what reasons people have been given for the appearance of their fibromyalgia.

Mine started about 2.5 years ago. I had nasty accident which involved me having a fall. I ruptured two ligaments in my ankle, injured my shoulder and neck.

3-4 months later I developed more widespread pain and severe stabbing pains in my shoulders, hips and knees. I also had restless legs and random twitching over my body. Then came the migraines, insomnia and exhaustion.

I was told recently by my rheumatologist that my fall caused my fibromyalgia. I can't believe I have this horrendous illness for life because of a fall!

xx

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I think mine was brought on by stress and trauma, emotional and mental, really messed up stuff, but because I think this I'm hoping that it will one day go as well.
    • Posted

Hi Boqer

Thanks for your reply. It seems stress and emotional trauma are more common causes than physical with fibro.

xxx

• Posted

Hi ChronicGirl

Mine was caused by an accident at work 2 years ago. A box weighing 26kgs was dropped on my head. I suffered severe whiplash then about 2 months after the accident I started getting pains in my arms and legs then eventually all over my body along with all the other symptoms that go with it. I got diagnosed in February this year by rheumatologist X

• Posted

Hey Alison

I thought I was 'lucky' getting away with ruptured ligaments only to develop this horrible illness which has ruined my entire life. I imagine you feel similar.

I hope your employer got into trouble for letting a box fall on your head like that.

xxx

• Posted

Hiya ChronicGirl

Yep it's a horrible condition to have and it's changed me as a person and also what I can do.

Oh yep my employer is getting sued. They have been bullying me so last year I thought what the heck and started a claim against them 😊 X

• Posted

Good for you. I think bullies are the scum of the earth. To bully others only to make the selves feel bigger is twisted.

TC&GB

• Posted

Hmmm this is a good question, can't wait to see everyone's responses.

For me I'm not 100% sure but mine happened 9 months ish after having a baby but also a few months after breaking my nose, started off generally just feeling tired in the evening, then also in the day and facial pain/numbness on the left side with extreme head pressure and the pain just generally spread out to my neck and then my arms and slowly every body part became involved. Initially I was treated with steroid sprays for sinusitis along with vitamins as I'd become folic acid, iron and vit d deficient too but continued to get worse, whether the deficiencies caused it or was a result of not being well That I got them I don't know. the day prior to a bad day it starts in my face, head, neck, shoulders and then every muscle in my body along with joints hurts.

I was also drinking about 15 cups of tea a day so I do wonder if the caffeine kicked things off too.

Im not sure if pregnancy kicks of an autoimmune disease, if your hormones become messed up or if it's something else entirely. I felt perfectly well during my pregnancy and had no health issues before that.

• Posted

can you cut out the caffeine little by little and see if that is a issue. Caffeine is a stimulate and can kick off the nervious system to go into overdrive. 

I stopped coffee and ate a better diet and I improved so much. Hope that this will be incentive for you to do some research online and get thru this. It's no fun being in constant pain. Most research today points to the foods we eat especially too much of a good thing and prepared or junk foods cause illness and unfavorable reactions . Diabetes, overweight, sugars etc. I'm sure you know the drill.

take some time to invest in your health thru eating better within time you will feel the difference. More energy loss pain is a good result in many cases. A whole foods diet gave me my life back.

Of course I do recognize that you have had appropiate blood tests to rule out other issues. 

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Charlotte

Thanks for your reply. Yes it's very interesting to see everyone's response.

This illness is so debilitating but I was astonished to find so little research on it so was just curious to see what others had to say.

xxx

• Posted

I cut out caffeine a long time ago now, as soon as i realised that it may be a cause or something that was worsening the pain.

I have also improved with a better diet, things arent perfect and i still have many rubbish days but its the only thing that has made any difference apart from stopping all medications.

• Posted

Yeah its a great question, we should do more like this, if we did we might be able to narrow down some similarities and find a cure.

Alot of people seem to get fibro after an physical injury, i wonder if it is anything like complex regional pain syndrome. That starts after injury and although the symptoms are quite different perhaps the starting process in the brain isnt.

• Posted

Glad to hear diet has been an improvement for you. Some foods I found simply make me feel sligish and extremely tired. I stopped meds as they had a rebound effect. Only on severe days do I take any pain meds. I run on smoothies made with whey high protein and yogurt for probiotics. Since I changed my foods feel better however I too still have a few bummer days.

but like you not perfect but better than before. 

TC&GB

• Posted

My Fibro was caused by four unexplained miscarriages, an Aspergic husband whom I walked out on twenty weeks pregnant and with my two and a half year old son. I think through  the stress this caused I got Fibro ten years ago. I now  do not eat gluten, juice vegetables and fruit. Eat a healthy diet and have Epsom salt baths .  I am also recovering from shoulder surgery which has been a real challenge as I am fighting for my Two year PIPS award to be reinstated. So all these things no money coming in, suffering with Fibro and a sore weak shoulder have made the Fibro worse.
    • Posted

I had sore shoulder turned out to be collagen build up, ended up frozen shoulder from an injury and OA. After a cat scan the dr did Xiaflex injections to the shoulder to break down the collagen that locked the shoulder up. Thru therapy I now have full use of my shoulder and manageable pain with OTC meds. 

X rays were the first start to unraveling my shoulder pain. It takes time to heel whatever the issue may be in your case. It could be arthritis especially in joints.

hope you make it theu the system soon for pip.

• Posted

So sorry to hear what you have been through pollmadoll. Emotional stress and trauma seems to be big cause of fibro. I didn't have this at the time mine started.

I had some stress as had chronic pain in my ankle and shoulder but I was coping. The emotional stress didn't start for me until a year into my fibro when I just couldn't cope with the pain, full time work and being ignored by my GP.

xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.