What do CMHT do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I only joined this site recently with the hope that there would be someone who could help me with my concerns and that I could help others with theirs.

I have an appointment with a community mental health nurse from CMHT soon, can anyone tell me what to expect? My GP referred me to them for depression and anxiety. It was not really explained to me other than it was like counselling. I have never had any kind of counselling or therapy before so I am unsure of what to expect and how long the appointment is going to last etc.

I am quite reluctant about seeing doctors, taking medication and receiving counselling.

I will be pleased to hear anyone's experiences.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi itssofluffy

Counselling is not something to be feared although i was very apprehensive when i 1st went. Talking through my deepest feelings with a complete stranger didn't sit right with me. I saw an NHS counsellor 1st but had a limit of 6 appointments with her so i then moved on to a private and reasonably priced counsellor that i see as and when necessary.

It might not seem like it now but it is such a relief to unburden yourself of your problems and to try and find the root cause of your problems.

Its comforting to know that there is someone out there i can call as and when needed to talk through any problems i have in total confidentiality. Go for it and you may surprise yourself - i certainly did.

Best wishes

MP

• Posted

Hi Meganpooch, thanks for your reply.

Yeah that's the thing I feel nervous about, going over and over everything, I don't feel like it is going to help me and I can't really think of anything worse. Mine is with the NHS.

The last thing you said may be helpful to me, It would be good to know there will be someone I can call when I need it. I haven't had any for a while now, but there have been a few moments when things were getting too much for me and I didn't know what to do.

• Posted

Hiya itssofluffy

Mine too was originally at the doctors surgery so it sounds like a similar set up. After finding out a little bit about you, counsellor's will ask you questions about how you feel and what brought on those feelings. They don't actually say that much but make you think with their soft questioning.

It was certainly weird the 1st time but i see my current one almost as a friend now.

Worry not, you will be fine. Good luck on your 1st appointment.

Best wishes

MP

• Posted

Hi itssofluffy,

I am waiting to see somebody suppose to have an appointment within 21 days back at the beginning of December GP is chasing it up have tried all the Anti Depressents but cannot take them so this is the next step, have been like this 2 and half years don't know how I get through every day ,I do like to chat on here this a great help.God Luck.

• Posted

Hi Joan, sorry to hear you are having a bad time with things. Yeah I have been waiting a long time for my appointment

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.