What do you wish you had known before your TKR?

Posted , 24 users are following.

Most of us found that we didn't know enough about recovery from a TKR before we had it  done.  What do you wish you had've known?  What would have armed you better?

2 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Knowing how painful the first few weeks would be. My surgeon said my pain would be "controlled". Liar, liar, pants on fire!

I wish I'd been better prepared. Leaner, fitter and stronger. Its taken me 16 months of perserverance, tenacity and attitude adjustments to get where I am now. New and improved! Yippee!

• Posted

Very good point!  That's what they all say - "controlled" pain.  I was in hospital and rehab for nearly 5 weeks with each TKR and I made myself a promise that I would have ONE PAINFREE HOUR!!  It took weeks, but I got it!!

• Posted

I found my pain was controlled...there was the occasional hour or two when it felt just a bit more than I felt happy to bear, however, as TENS worked for me this solved the problem, and I did not need to up my medications, I would recommend anyone buy a TENS unit, and try it out before surgery. It helped me a lot!
    • Posted

That's great Jenny!  I feel excited for you that your pain was controlled and that TENS helped so much, brilliant!

• Posted

Hi Jenny. You speak often of the tens machine for pain relief. Is there anything I should look out for in buying a good one. Thanks

Linda

• Posted

Not allowed to mention exact products on here but mine has four pads, not two, which makes it stronger. It was only about 25 pounds so was not expensive. I think They are pretty similar. Mine is battery operated which was fine..,.
  • Posted

Good question Cheryl. I spent six weeks reading every bit of information I could lay my hands on as well as an extended visit to my orpathaedic surgeon where I questioned everything-from anaesthesia to pain relief to life without a tkr and then some. I tried to leave no stone unturned. I have always lived by the motto-its your body, your operation-step up. But having said that, the one thing I wasnt prepared for was the lack of sleep during those early weeks post tkr. I'd poured over forums such as this but for some reason " sleep issues" didnt register as a possible issue-WRONG!!!!!!!! I can honestly say for me that was the worst part.

• Posted

Hi Sue. I slept quite well because of the medication. We all have such different experiences. x
    • Posted

AWh Sleep im now 6 months and yes I can finally say im sleeping ok and on any sie I want my next operation is due for the other leg well im on the listy so making the most of the reprieve before i start again On the plus side I know what to expect  sad sad 

• Posted

Like you Im also six plus months Mary and sleeping like a baby. Some mornings hubby checks to see if Im still alive ( wishful thinking lol) Im certainly making up for it now.
    • Posted

I never slept well-even in hospital lyn and not needing more than paracetamol for pain I used many methods of relaxation -some worked, some didnt. Time was the answer.
    • Posted

Yes, my first TKR was like that - so impossible to sleep!  This 2nd TKR I had about 9 weeks ago - totally different.  Even in rehab I could sleep on either side, I couldn't believe it and I felt so lucky.

• Posted

Yes, you can't be better informed than having experienced it before.  That has helped me immensely with my 2nd TKR.  

• Posted

All my Dr. told me is that it is extremely painful. He records each visit and said he explained to the patient of the pain involved and she agreed to the operation. He didn't explain the length of recovery or the lack of sleep that I experienced for months. At each visit he would ask me if I felt better than before the operation and my reply was "no"! At almost 6 months out I feel almost normal, sleeping well, walking well, and back to life! Wish I had asked more questions!

• Posted

Yes i also have to agree sleep was a bit of a problem, dont think they tell you enough about any of it to be honest, but i cant knock my hospital they were absolutly fantastic from start to finish, maybe i didnt ask enough questions, but i can say as im sure most of us can that its great to have it done and over with and look back on all the discumforts , thanks goodness for threads and groups like this one.....good luck to all whos been there and to those that are going, you will survive xxx

• Posted

Agree, I am 14 weeks and am just now getting an occasional nights sleep.
    • Posted

Extremely painful could mean anything unless it's in context with the length of recovery and the lack of sleep!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.