What does a “flare” mean for you???

Posted , 8 users are following.

I often see people refer themselves being in a flare up... wondering what that means for everyone? I don’t know if I’ve had a flare before or not... is being itchy and having open cracks considered a flare?? I’ve been itchy for years...

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I guess for me it means I'm really uncomfortable.... sore, itchy, skin tears easily.  

• Posted

Do you use steroid cream ? barrier creams or ointment, rinse with bicarbonate of soda mixed into water after every visit to the loo....have you been diagnosed with LS ?
    • Posted

I’ve been visually diagnosed but waiting on a biopsy to confirm... no I don’t use barrier cream, any suggestions?
  • Posted

Yes, I consider being itchy a flare up, especially when itchier than normal. Actually I think any symptom that seems worse than normal is a flare up. This itching sure is frustrating too and it always seems worse during the night, waking up itching like crazy, it sure makes it hard to sleep! What do you do for your itchiness robin59275? Lately I've been using Lidocaine and an anti fungal cream that is made up of Miconazole Nitrate. These seem to help some,,, I think... I've tried Apple Cider Vinegar and Oxidated Olive Oil and these didn't seem to do much good sad  I haven't found anything yet that works really good for the itchiness. Have you or any of you others out there? 

• Posted

I don’t do anything for the itching, I’ve had this for years and just lived with it but I’m newly diagnosed and waiting to see dermatologist for a biopsy to confirm it.... do you use the steroid cream?
    • Posted

No, I don't use any type of steroid cream. I've only been using the Lidocaine for numbing and then the Antifungal to hopefully combat the white spots that I don't know what they are for sure, but sure does itch. I know I have stage 4 vulvar cancer but these spots sure remind me of either LS or a yeast infection, but whatever they are, it seems like it's a fungal infection. Diet plays a big part too I think. I dunno, all's I know for sure is that us women sure get unfairly stuck with vaginal problems. I blame our world for poisoning our food and water with chemicals! 

• Posted

Sheryl, so sorry to hear of your cancer, I do hope you are getting excellent treatment...take care.
    • Posted

Thank you linda94703 cheesygrin^ I'm not undergoing any type of treatment though. Just using lidocaine to help numb the area and the anti fungal to hopefully combat the itching and to hold back more growth. I'm on hospice now is all and the pain meds have helped cheesygrin  I hope you're doing well and take care too <3 

• Posted

Hi, a flare is when you have ANY of the LS symptoms.  

For example:-

itching

blisters

sores/lesions

red spots

bruising

Paper cuts

these are just some of them, there are more for sure.

At this moment in time, I have nothing going on at all, everything is good and so I am not flaring.  

I believe that if you have constant itching ALL of the time then you need to look at your diet because that's your body telling you to listen.  Its kinda like ignoring an illness, not treating it and just carrying on regardless. Anyone that's putting up with itching really does need to to look carefully at their diet because daily itching is a bad thing.

• Posted

So I feel like ive been in a constant flare for years then??
    • Posted

Hi robin, if you are always itching, always have some kind of sore/lesion/cut then you need to look at your diet.  Some women find that gluten is the root cause and you would only have to try it for a month to see if that is your main problem..if not then you should try cutting out dairy.  But, ultimately sugar is the main cause for most people.  
    • Posted

I totally agree with you in that diet plays a huge part in what symptoms we experience. As I said earlier, I blame our world for poisoning our food and water with chemicals! If we had all pure and natural things to eat and drink, we wouldn't have a fraction of the problems that we do now! I'm afraid even the products that are labeled natural and organic are not, because this world is full of so much chemicals everywhere. I think it's practically impossible to find anything that is 100 percent chemical free. 

• Posted

I’ve been looking at various diets but haven’t jumped on board yet. I have drastically cut back on sugar to start with.. slowly but surely I will get there... I’m so scared to give up my gluten!! 

Also, is all sugar bad? Can you not have any sugar at all without having symptoms??

• Posted

I know, its all about greed...money.  This is why so many people cant eat bread anymore because of the Roundup thats used in the process of harvesting the wheat.
    • Posted

Round up is a definate problem, but Wheat is a bigger problem, in my humble opinion!
    • Posted

My LS came along with diabetes.....cutting the refined sugar out of your diet is crucial, eat fruit, dark chocolate 70% cocoa, refined sugar is found is most things and is very bad for you. Wheat also, no need to be scared...I bake my own bread made with no wheat flour or grains....I follow a Paleo diet.
    • Posted

Hi robin, going gluten-free is like a walk in the park compared to what some people have to cut out of their diet.  Really, I cant eat some veggies without getting sick..if someone had told me a year ago a carrot would make me ill I would have laughed out loud (salicylates)  Anyway, my point is that its really not that hard, although it might seem that way at first.  Try it for a month, and if you get no joy then you can go back to eating it. 

The thing about sugar is that when people go into a HUGE flare they have usually been eating way too much sugar throughout the day and every day.  Remember it is in carbohydrates.  So, initially one has to cut out all sugars, suck it up for perhaps a month, then, once your body has rebalanced itself you can introduce treats...I eat sugars, treats, but then I cant eat/drink what most other people have, like wine, so it kind of balances things out.  For example, if you know you are heading out for an evening meal and want to be able to have a glass of wine just make sure that you have eaten sensibly throughout the day...you get the idea.

• Posted

That's what's so sick and sad. Other countries have banned Roundup and banned many of the chemicals that the USA has let into our foods. Sometimes it feels totally hopeless in ever getting totally cured of dis-eases and feeling truly good at last. Sad sad

• Posted

Yeah it sucks.  I have been very sick from chemicals.  I have multiple chemical sensitivity with multiple food intolerances. I live in Costa Rica but I am English.  One of the problems I encountered here was not realizing that the people here spray more chemicals on their crops than in China!!!  I had no idea and blindly thought that they didn't use those sort of chemicals...its just all about money, greed etc etc  

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that. I would have thought that Costa Rica would have really clean food. I guess it's world wide now, the use of chemicals. Shame on all the companies that are doing this! Slowly but surely though it seems like more and more companies are starting up that are offering organic foods and I've seen more and more places, ranches, farms etc that are using better practices in how they grow their food and raise their animals in the food industry. Hopefully someday soon, Roundup will cease to exist and all the food grown will be clean and free of pesticides and chemicals! One can only hope and pray smile

• Posted

Very true, the US has turned its head to all the chemicals and am thinking Mexico, China do the same. Not sure about Canada...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.