What does a “flare” mean for you???

Posted , 8 users are following.

I often see people refer themselves being in a flare up... wondering what that means for everyone? I don’t know if I’ve had a flare before or not... is being itchy and having open cracks considered a flare?? I’ve been itchy for years...

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I’m always itchy too. Every night for 4.5 yrs I itch. It’s horrible. A flare up for me is when it’s excessively itchy, usually around my period and ovulation. 

I know it isn’t diet related as I’ve tried everything-keto, oxidation, gluten free, dairy free, sugar and alcohol free. Currently I live by the Tim Ferriss diet which is basically protein and beans 6 days a week. Maybe I’m allergic to water. 

• Posted

How long did you try those diets before figuringthey don’t work??? I’ve been thinking of going gluten free but I’m scared 
    • Posted

Hi. No reason to be scared. Even if it doesn’t work at least you’ll know. 

Anyway I did Keto (no sugar, no gluten, no alcohol) for 7 wks. My carb count was less than 20 a day. I was very true to that diet, meaning I never cheated. Drank a ridiculous amount of water and have to say that during that time the LS was pretty bad. This led me to believe that perhaps dairy was affecting me hence the diet I’m on now-a variation of the Tim Ferriss diet. No dairy. Though I must admit I have exactly one tsp of cream in my coffee a day but that’s it. And I find it hard to fathom that such a small amt could contribute to the intense itching I experience every night. 

The oxilates diet I was on strictly for 3 days and then reduced the severity for about 2 wks. Must say you can’t eat anything on that diet. Everything has oxilates. At least everything I like to eat, spinach, beans, nuts. That said if I had noticed any relief I would have stuck to it. 

I’ve given up everything at some point which angers me that people can be so matter of fact to say that the cause is diet. I eat the way I eat now just bc I feel lighter and not loaded down by carbs. 

The LS started for me when I was 43 and like I said it’s worse around my period leading me to think it may be hormonal but I do not know for sure. All I know for sure is that it sucks royally. 

• Posted

It sure does suck royally. I did the same thing as you, tried keto for quite awhile, but it seems like no matter what I did, the itchiness and inflammation remained. Sooo I said skrew it and have just decided to eat pretty much what I want and enjoy life and foods while I can. 
    • Posted

I agree! It does suck royally! I’m 30 but I’ve had symptoms of this since childhood! It got worse in my early 20s then took off full force after the birth of my 1st child. This makes me think it’s hormonal too! 

I’ve been reading about a low oxilate diet and that one looks tough too because I also eat a lot of high oxilate foods. I LOVE SPINACH! Makes me sad to give it up! 

Trial and error I suppose I need to do to figure out what it could be for me...

• Posted

I had what I thought was a flare but may have actually been Vulvadynia, severe pain....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.