What does bone on bone?

Posted , 17 users are following.

I saw my consultant today and he spoke about bone on bone whilst looking at my xray. What does that mean? Thank you

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This Probably means that your cartilage, which acts as a cushion between the bones in joint, has worn away leaving the bones to grind together.
  • Posted

It means that you have no cartilage in your hip, which is what cushions your joints.  The pain you get, which is what happened to me, is the bones rubbing together and gives you pain every time you move your hip.  Its great afterwards because you have a replacement joint which does not rub anymore.  Good luck with the op.
    • Posted

It is not my entire hip just three quarters ~ does it make a difference? Thank you for your reply Barbara. They seem to talk about these things expecting the patient to know. I have never heard of the expression.
  • Posted

The cartilage that should lie between you bones at the top of the leg and the ball and socket, i. e. Your hip bone, has worn away. Hence your pain and the need for a hip replacement
    • Posted

It seems like such a major operation for what is ultimately just a little bit cartilage ~ why can't they simply find a way to solve the cartilage issue....I 
    • Posted

I am sure that some research is going on in that direction. It may mean that we could be one of the last generations to have to have the surgery. Just think how many people there woul be in agony now if the op had not been invented and improved upon over the years
    • Posted

I know that in the UK there is a vet who has started a procedure for just that he has a tv program called super vet I just wish people could be referred to him he does some amazing work. Google Noel Fitzpatrick
  • Posted

Bone on bone just meant that the protective padding ( cartalage ) has worn away leaving a joint with no protection from the other bone from grinding on the other bone in the joint causeing arthritus and pain.
  • Posted

It means that your cartilage has worn away so your bones are rubbing together hence the pain . My x ray didn't look too bad but after op surgeon told me my cartilage had all gone so was glad I had op . 

Good luck

• Posted

Same as what everyone else has commented on which is correct. I had exactly the same experience, very painful and to think I thought it was groin pain. When I had my op I was offered to keep my ruined joint which I did and it was wasted. Instead of being smooth, it was pitted to the point it looked like grooves in a tyre, that's how bad it had deteriorated.
    • Posted

I am not sure how we are supposed to know what all of this means as a person with zero experience. I was just about to book an appointment with the gynecologist because I thought the persistent groin pain was connected with my ovaries! I had no idea! I just 'happened' to say how painful it was, in passing, and he said oh yes that is from the hip joint....!! Bone on bone means nothing at all to me so why didn't he explain it carefully to me...I am feeling a bit cross, because all the consultants say is keep going as long as you can, you are only forty so will potentially need 12 hip replacements in your life time. I have problems with both hips. Meanwhile I can barely walk or sleep and I am fed up with being in pain. 

Thank you for your lovely post and for replying ~ it is a huge relief to have people who understand and care xx

• Posted

No worries rose that's why myself and others like me are here on this site because we all have something in common. I guess you are like everyone, I was skeptical at first about the procedure but I assure you, your quality of life will be greatly improved later on. There will be times of pain and anguish but I assure you, it will be one of the best decisions you will make in your lifetime, period. I too was like you searching for answers deliberating, yes or no to proceed with the procedure. I'm 35 from NZ. I Was initially misdiagnosed as having S.U.F.E and upon further investigation was told that my hips were in the correct position it's just that osteoarthritis had deteriorated my left hip joint erasing any cartilage in the joint and thus giving me the excruciating pain we commonly associate with "bone on bone" hence  how the term came about. Try and cheer up and all will be well soon
    • Posted

Thanks Evileye, it will be fine, I am in a much better place now I have accepted it all. I feel okay but just wondered what on earth the consultant was talking about!
    • Posted

Hi Rose they don't like to do hip replacement on people they consider young.  I say can you sit in the bath and get out easily, can you put on sox, can you tie shoe laces, do you wake every 30 mins and need to turn over.  is is painfull to walk, is your life restricted, do you take pain killers just ot go to the shops. 

If the answer to these questions, even some of them you need  to push for help, have you had Xrays of your hips?  If not go to your GP and ask for help, one thing is for certain if it is bone on bone it gets no better and a hip replacement will help you.  I am 4 weeks post op and my life is already 1000% better, I hope to get the other hip done later this year and will have my life back.

I hope I can help you best wishes Margaret

• Posted

ah i wish id been offered that. im a bit fascinated with stuff like that and would have loved to see my joint. 
    • Posted

im 43 Rose and was told to wait as long as i could. i managed another year following the dx and am now regretting it as my muscles have severely atrophied to the point where the surgeon had to make my leg longer in order for it to be stable. if id known, i would have insisted on doing it a year ago. also my pelvis and lower back have both suffered as a result so personally, i believe my recovery would have been easier if id done it when i was fitter. 
    • Posted

Gosh that is exactly what I have been told! And I am trying to drag it out but it is kind of ruining my life now, because every day I am a little more limited and the pain is not great and I turning into a she devil with the lack of sleep!! It is very interesting that you had the same thing, thank you for sharing that with me. I really appreciate your experience ~ now thinking I may bring it forward x
    • Posted

Didn't your doctor show you your xray? Mine showed me the joints and where the problems are, it was very interesting, but kind of depressing, I was hoping for inflammation rather bone on bone.
    • Posted

It is yes to all of those and a few more besides....I don't even go to the shops anymore so that is saying something!! I am hiding away and hoping I will wake up and this will all have been a bad dream.

The xrays are done, and the verdict is hip replacement as soon as they have my arthritis under control in my arms/shoulders because at the moment I couldn't manage the crutches and the consultant said it is crucial I can use them. I am waiting for anti tnf biological drugs so my arms will be in better shape before surgery. I have just turned forty so wasn't much of a birthday present! I feel as if I am 100 years old currently not 40!!!! smile I am sure you know the feeling. Trying to look on the bright side it could be worse, but some days struggling. We all do in this situation ~ one day hopefully all of this will be a thing of the past!

• Posted

oh yes but id have loved to see the actual thing. If i hadnt wrecked my knee when i was 16 i would have trained to be a nurse but by the time i was well enough to pass the physical id lost focus. I find all the gruesome details fascinating. ive even watched a vid of the hip replacement procedure. 

my xrays are really depressing as was my surgeons initial exam. both hips, both knees, lower back and pubis symphysis all affected to varying degrees by arthritis. acceptable if i was my grans age (95) but not so good at 43. 

• Posted

Dear Rose -- oh boy -- that sounds so familiar - not being able to go to shops anymore !! startted to avoid the ones that don't have a shopping cart first - 

I live alone, in a little (tiny really) bungalow and was advised to get a 4 wheel walker instead of crutches ... I bought one rather than renting one and it has been really good - a lot of manoeuvring though - but I can carry stuff by putting it on the seat of walker - and there is no strength necessary in shoulders or arms ....  if you have stairs in the house you need crutches to get up and down ... 

happy belated birthday darling .... big hug

• Posted

Goodness me. I can only say Helen that the stem cell therapy may mean that you don't need to get everything replaced. In years to come we might well get away with a simple procedure. Are you taking ANTI TNF? It does slow down the arthritis. Speak to your rheumatologist about it. I have some friends whom have had the most wonderful results. It won't solve a replacement but it will certainly slow down the spreading and will take down the inflammation. 
    • Posted

That is helpful to know, as I am doing exactly the same as you now!! My back and others hips, ankle etc are all hurting now as much as the 'bad' one, so I can see how this can happen. 
    • Posted

Hi I'm 59 and mine are none on bone. I'm scheduled to get operation on one hip end of October. I'm scared I'm making the wrong decision. Yes it's hard to walk. I've lifted weights all my life and now my routine is going to change drastically.  How to I stop going to the gym?? I can't and never did sit around long!! I hear all kinds of stuff about recovery. Some same they recovered fast. Everytime I hear it's going to take weeks, I don't want to do it. Honestly though I don't know if I can bear with pain sometimes or stand long. I try to tell myself it's into head!! I'm just not sure if I'm doing the right thing! Once they put something  artificial in you it might not work, then what!! I mean there's no turning back after surgery!! I've written before about this and I have received comforting answers, but today I'm not sure again. This is pretty major and I'm worried about not being able to function for a long time. I'm an active person usually but now yes I have slowed down.  Confused and scared!!

• Posted

Hi I too have been told I need the hip surgery. I am scared as well and have had the same thoughts as you. My  doctor said that the bones will continue to grind and deteriorate rapidly. In two years I would never walk again because the damage will be past saving. I had a car accident years ago that damaged my joint. Then I gained weight after that injury that has added to my pain and further damage. I have to lose weight before I can even have surgery. I'm doing well dieting but the scale seems like an eternity to budge. This has added more stress on me. I know will get there. I can't wait for relief. I don't want to never walk again. That terrifies me more than the surgery or rehabilitation. When it gets this bad it's the only decision! Your advantage here is that you have been active and fit. I have been told that will be beneficial to your recovery. These replacements lasts for many years and improve quality of life. The success rate is quite high. Not what we were given in our beginning but helps us go on. You can do this! You'll feel better! Stay positive! I wish you well.

• Posted

Hi Deb,  

i just found your post here -

Oh dear ... It is a scary thought, no doubt about that ,,, however, what is the alternative ?

Slowly but surely you are losing range of motion, muscle strength while pain increases .

You don't want to come to a point that hip replacement surgery won't be possible anymore because of the severe damage, or, perhaps need a more complicated surgery which might include bone grafts -

Yes, you will not be able to go back to weight lifting at your level for a while - yes, you might have to slow down your life and allow healing to take place -

but the grinding bone-on-bone will be gone - you are fit and that will help tremendously in your recovery --

Your body is telling you something, darling ... please listen closely -

try not to consider this as a failure and stop being so harsh to your self ...

I know, easy for me to say , but I have been there , like so many of us here on the forum ...

we will be here for you so come back any time okay ..

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hope you are better? I have both my hips that are bone to bone. I can't sleep , I'm in so much pain, I can barely walk. My Dr don't even give me pain medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.